"(File)Size Matters" 64K Compo (Judging not underway)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Accensus

Re: "(File)Size Matters" 64K Competition

Post by Accensus »

Person gets his own stickied thread (still moderated, though) and lotsa fame & glory.
Okay, maybe just fame and glory will work too.

I'm just giving ideas, lol.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

wildweasel wrote:
Lud wrote:Are there gonna be 2nd and 3rd place or is it just one winner?
I have not really decided yet. I'm not even sure what the prize will be, if there even will be one...
The winner could win a, ehm, Surface Book :roll:
Jeimuzu73

Post by Jeimuzu73 »

A brand new gaming laptop that can run the new Doom.

(jk lol)
cambertian
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by cambertian »

Maybe one of them Raspberry Pi-styled devices. They're cheap and are often powerful enough to play the first two Dooms.

Or if you want to get REALLY extravagant, maybe the upcoming PocketCHIP. It's no new computer, but it's still pretty cool.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Yeah remember guys, I'm a poor college student and probably can't afford anything extravagant like shipping electronics internationally. I might be able to afford Steam games off peoples' wishlists, though, but I'm not sure I should make that promise just yet.

[edit] There's a good chance I might leave it at the "fame and glory" bit.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Not an official entry.
Computer map replacement. Shows the location of "hidden" monsters. Yellow indicates monsters with 150 HPs or more, and Red for 400 HPs or more. The brighter the color, the closer it is. Once picked up, it's always on until the player's inventory is reset.

Design notes:
This is ripped from an add on that I never got around to putting together for someone else's project. As such, it's coded in a way that should make it compatible with most anything, so long as the AllMap actor is untouched.
The refresh rate is noticeably slow as a result of the method I used to avoid TIDs, and consolidate processing.
It's limited to 256 monsters, see above.
It needs a bindable key to toggle the radar on/off, but I'm lazy.
The locations can be a little wonky, as I've never figured out the magic formula to compensate for the aspect view distortion.
The end intent was to recreate Perfect Dark's FarSight XR-20.
Attachments
radar.wad
(6.12 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Fonze

Post by Fonze »

I've been following this as much as I can and I like some of the entries here so far! I think this is a cool competition and I'd like to see stuff like this become more of a regular thing. I'll throw down a bit of money for the winner. Send me a PM wildweasel and we'll iron out the details.
Inchworm

Post by Inchworm »

Just tried it; pretty cool, but it would be nice to have a description to explain all of the mechanics and whatnot.
Panlew

Post by Panlew »

Inchworm wrote:Just tried it; pretty cool, but it would be nice to have a description to explain all of the mechanics and whatnot.
https://mega.nz/#!QBpTAAoB!1V8oWyHkwg4- ... QHD26vnrRk
added a txt file that I think explains most stuff
tell me if I missed anything
Inchworm

Post by Inchworm »

Panlew wrote:added a txt file that I think explains most stuff
tell me if I missed anything
Much appreciated!

So, college is making me a mess. I will not be able to submit my original and larger-scale project due to real life stuff, but I at least managed to come up with something worth showing off.

I settled with the name "Balloons," for obvious reasons. Balloons is a cacodemon and pain elemental modification; they are now living party favors. They have all been filled with helium, while only some of them are filled with baking soda and glitter, and others with mylar. Shoot the float-y demons, and watch them fly across the room, burst into a cloud of dust and glitter, or even erupt into a shower of confetti!
Spoiler:
EDIT: Made a slight inheritance mistake before uploading, rendering the wad unusable. Fixed.
Attachments
balloons.zip
(57.45 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Last edited by Inchworm on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Finally got an entry done. I dub this one "Possession".
Essentially, you can possess and control monsters (including barrels!)
You can move, jump, attack and use noclip when possessed. To de-possess, get the monster killed or just press the possession key again (default Q).
Currently supports all Doom monsters. Monsters from other mods/games can be possessed, but won't be able to attack.

In order to use the melee attack of a monster that has one, you simply need to attack an enemy within melee range.
In the case of enemies such as the Arch-Vile, Lost Soul and Pain Elemental, you need to have an enemy under your crosshair in order to attack.
The Revenant's tracer attack additionally requires an enemy under your crosshair, otherwise a regular Revenant projectile will be fired.

EDIT: File updated, changelog:
  • Added pain sound and red tint on injury
  • Fixed Hell Knight melee sound
  • Fixed ledges causing large jump heights
EDIT: File updated again, now gives monsters the SLIDESONWALLS flag if they don't already have it, which improves mobility in tight spaces
possession64k.pk3
(15.44 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Should work in any relatively recent (G)ZDoom build, was developed using GZDoom g2.2pre-605-ge107d8f
Last edited by The Zombie Killer on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

That's surprisingly addicting, specially when you try to beat the levels only by using the possession and not relying on your guns.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Moving in tight spaces and against walls was super irritating though, which is why that is now fixed
Evil Space Tomato
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Evil Space Tomato »

What can you do with 150 bytes?

You can make a WadC script that produces a "random" fully playable level, with enemies, health, and weapons. Best of all its compatible with all source ports.

You start with a Megasphere and fight the enemies a few at a a time.
There is room to strafe and avoid attacks, and there should be enough ammunition.

http://www.humenet.net/doom/150b.txt
[Edit]Oops I misunderstood the rules so here is a 54KB version of WadC http://www.humenet.net/doom/WadCMini.rar

Get the official WadC here https://jmtd.net/wadc/

To run the level download WadC, Open 150b.txt, click "Run/Save/Save Wad", take 150b.wad and run it with ZDoom.
If you want to run it in Doom or other source ports it needs to be BSPed which can be done by loading it in Doom Builder and then saving it.

If you don't want to do all that
Spoiler:
How I built this
Spoiler:
Last edited by Evil Space Tomato on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”