"(File)Size Matters" 64K Compo (Judging not underway)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
The Purple Marine

Re: "(File)Size Matters" 64K Competition

Post by The Purple Marine »

Another update: The Berserk Sphere now has a sprite in Doom. Because the Doom doesn't include the megasphere sprite, when you're in the first game it appears as a recollored (recolored?) invincibility.
Here is another download link for PISG, incase you don't want to go find the post again: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0cmUB ... sp=sharing
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Contestants, you have one more day left to enter your submissions. After midnight tomorrow (Pacific Daylight Time), I'll gather all the entries and give them the ol' once-over.

Here is a countdown clock so that you know exactly how much time you have left. I'll allow one day of grace period to get your entries in with no penalty.

Here is the score sheet I'll be using.
  • Originality (points out of 20) - Considering the Doom modding community has been around pretty much since Doom became a thing, we have nearly 23 years worth of ideas floating around, so it is more important than ever to have a unique idea to stand out from the crowd. Therefore, points will be awarded to truly original ideas. It's not an immensely important score, though, because as said before, there are nearly 23 years worth of ideas already out there.
  • Execution (points out of 50) - Ideas aren't worth anything if they haven't been put into practice with skill; the Execution category covers everything from the overall feel of the project to the presence (or absence) of bugs and glitches. This is a wide-scoped category, since not everything being submitted is necessarily supposed to be playable, so it could cover gameplay, sound effects, graphics, usefulness (if it's a utility), things that specifically have to do with the submission when used directly.
  • Ingenuity/Technique (points out of 30) - Not so much the general idea behind the submission as any special tricks or unusual methods used to build the project. Creative use of Textures compositing to create "new" graphics without actually importing any new graphics, or one sound used to create several through pitch manipulation and mixing, unexpected weapon effects, clever scripting, or even unorthodox methods of keeping the file size down. I'll be dissecting all submissions to see just what makes them tick, and that's where this score will come from.
  • Penalty Category (minus points) - Breakages of rules, late submissions, and outright disqualification will be handled in this category. The only upper limit of how many points can be taken via penalty is the 100 points a submission can potentially earn through the other categories; I won't be giving scores in the negatives. With any luck, I won't have to use this category at all.
But Wait A Minute, You Said Something About Prizes?

I've given it a fair degree of thought, and decided that there won't be any prizes. You'll certainly have the right to brag about your win, in a similar fashion to the Cacowards; I might have to go Photoshop an award or something for you to use as an avatar for a while or something. I do also intend to distribute the entries (barring anything the submitters specifically don't want included) as one large file, sorted by score rankings and including the scoresheet. (I might have to consult the /idgames crew to see if they'd accept that.)
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

At the end we could have a 64K megapack, with all the 64K mods inside of it (maps only could be inside a single wad, as long it doesn't affect others mod)
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

ibm5155 wrote:At the end we could have a 64K megapack, with all the 64K mods inside of it (maps only could be inside a single wad, as long it doesn't affect others mod)
Mine would have to be re-worked... It's implemented with a script library, and replaces all of the weapons/ammo/armor items.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

and with that, Blastmaster is ready

DOWNLOAD HERE

I've tested this in GZDoom 1.8, and it should be just fine for the future versions as well.

If you wanna play it on Zandronum, you'll have to use the 3.0 version, sorry!

Quick rundown on controls:

Push primary to fire bombs, hold it down when you pick up a blast mod to use a secondary attack, this works with all ammo types.
Push secondary to punch, hold it to use your laser pistol.
Punch bombs to move them around safely
Shoot bombs to detonate them early, with new effects

Make sure to go into your options menu and rebind controls for each ammo type (This is clunky, I know.)
Last edited by Combine_Kegan on Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morcillete

Post by Morcillete »

There it goes. My submision is called Doomed Insertion. It it is not finished but I think it is more or less playable right now.

Doomed Insertion.
You are a UAC marine, an augmented cyborg capable of running at inhuman speeds and withstand huge amounts of punishment in combat.
In addition, you carry the latest version of the UAC Multipurpose Assault Rifle (UACMAR-12), a powerful and reliable weapon fed with 50-rounds clips and compatible with a wide range of quick replacement attachments.

Gameplay features:
- There are no health items apart from the soulsphere and the megasphere.
- You carry an energy shield that will stop 100% of the damage received until depleted.
- You will find "energy armor loaders" that will increase your shield energy.
- There is only one weapon, your rifle.
- Movement affects your shooting and you cannot shoot if you are moving too fast.
- There are 4 attachments available (Shotgun, Grenade Launcher, Stunner and the experimental BFG).
- Shotgun behaves like doom2s SSG and BFG like the vanilla one.
- Stunner kit shoot small electric balls that do minimum damage but paralyze the objective (npc or player).
- To ensure compatibility without mouselook, if sv_nofreelook == True grenade launcher shoots grenades with no gravity (i.e. rockets...) instead of regular grenades.
- Three new skill levels (recon, recon hard and pseudorealsim). Without mouselook only recon is recommended.
- I have little modding experience and it is an alpha so there will be bugs, balance issue and who knows what more. Therefore, any criticism/feedback is very welcome.

In its orgin this was intended to be compatible with Zandronum as well as zdoom (part of the idea was to try make an intersting 1 live survival mode).
Being as simple as it is I expected it to be directly compatible but it is not so until I firgure out how to do it there is no Zandronum version.

Screenshot:
Spoiler:
Download:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1hk7 ... zRfRlh2a3c
kodi

Post by kodi »

Edit: Final contest version here

Original post:
Spoiler:
Last edited by kodi on Thu May 05, 2016 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

just a heads up, I plan on polishing Blastmaster up a little after the contest, but as of right now I'm leaving it alone, I've done all I can given how little time I had left towards the end there. Got a real bad habit of making projects waaaaayyyy too big.

Good luck to the other entries though, it's really cool seeing what everyone else is doing with their limited filesize.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I'd also like to inform people that my spookmod will definitely get an "ultimate" edition after this is all over. I just need to find some more time to work on the map30 replacement and polishing stuff (along with MP testing).
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

zrrion the insect wrote:Well, I've got it down under limits. so here you go.
I have updated the mod just a little bit to include a few slight gameplay tweaks, but the overall feel is close to vanilla. All I realy did was squeeze all of the filespace out of an existing mod I had laying around.
New download here.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

zrrion the insect wrote:
zrrion the insect wrote:Well, I've got it down under limits. so here you go.
I have updated the mod just a little bit to include a few slight gameplay tweaks, but the overall feel is close to vanilla. All I realy did was squeeze all of the filespace out of an existing mod I had laying around.
New download here.
I can't believe I missed the original post of this. I'm sorry about that. I've added all of the new links to my first post (I hope I didn't miss any this time). I also went ahead and updated my entry.
Regarding the entries, I guess now is a good time for people with multiple entries to choose which one to submit for the competition.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

I'm taking advantage of my grace period and I'd like to put on offer an updated version of blastmaster that smooths things out further and adds a few quality of life changes. Along with some better balancing

Download here

Sorry for any trouble this may cause but the issues I had with my own mod were driving me a little batty.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Combine_Kegan: Accepted. Thank you!

Contestants, you have 15 more hours to submit entries or bugfixes without late penalties.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Are the results coming out today, doc?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Lud wrote:Are the results coming out today, doc?
I gotta write 'em first! I can't promise how long that'll take, either.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”