(WIP) Fortune's Run TC [Demo, 20/12/15]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
OliveD

(WIP) Fortune's Run TC [Demo, 20/12/15]

Post by OliveD »

Fortune's Run

Adding this up here just so people know:
  • Meant to be played with at least g5464116
  • Crouching and jumping required
  • Uses palette-based effects, so it won't show up properly in OpenGL
  • Designed to be played in low resolutions (ideally the original 320x240, 640x440 also works fine)
  • That last one is important because the player weapons won't scale properly at some resolutions!

Sup.

So I made this a while ago, posted about it on here o:

Imgur album for screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/NDca3

Since then, I've lost a bunch of hard drives and had to piece back the mod from scraps that I saved on dropbox and other stuff. I've added things little by little and it now has a pretty ridiculous amount of features! Unfortunately, since I hate mapping, the progression is still nowhere near playable.

Since I'm leaving the country again next week, I figured I'd release the first level as a demo, as I won't be able to update this for a good few months most likely. It is the only currently fully playable level, although it probably still has some issues, feel free to let me know about them :)

About:
This is a stand-alone IWAD. It's a stealth-oriented game originally inspired by Dark Forces. You play as an alien space-bandit that gets caught up in a big search to uncover a space-artifact that does space-stuff. It's worth a lot of money and everyone wants it, and it's your job to swoop in the middle of the commotion and grab it before anyone notices. The setting is largely inspired by Star Wars but it's changed a lot since. It's kinda cyberpunk in a way now. I'm not sure. There's lots of aliens though.

This game really needs a tutorial, so here's a quick rundown on the mechanics/features.
  • Make sure you enable text scaling. The weapon sprites are actually HUD images, as I wanted to have custom bobbing and animation interpolation.
  • This is stealth-oriented. You don't have to, but the combat is fairly unforgiving sometimes.
  • There is a little meter that displays your stealth rating. Enemies can't see you when you step in the shadows and I re-wrote the AI sight so you can sneak behind people/outside their cone of vision. Also, running or shooting guns will alert people.
  • You can only carry two weapons at a time.
  • Make sure you bind the PDA in the controls. It is used to display objectives and use the Doctor's Bag item to recover from wounds.
  • Oh yeah, there's a wound system- when you get shot, your different limbs can take damage and incur penalties. Your max health pool is a combination of the current health of all the limbs.
  • There is also non-permanent damage that you can take, which is healed using Medpaks currently. You start with 5. Probably will be other ways to heal in the future.
  • Probably other stuff I forgot ;^)
Debug info for people who want to test the other content:
Spoiler:
I couldn't upload it as an attachment, so here's the link: http://www.filedropper.com/fortunesrundemo

Please don't use my resources in your personal projects. Obviously, I can't stop you, but the assets here were made specifically for this mod in a particular style and I don't really want people using them for other things. thx u
Last edited by OliveD on Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Darsycho
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: (WIP) Fortune's Run TC [Demo, 20/12/15]

Post by Darsycho »

Whoa, I completely forgot about this!

Downlerdin' now.
rosfell

Post by rosfell »

Time to get my cyberpunk goggles on...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

that is a cool lookin' gun on the screenshot there! better keep watching!

EDIT: so...i played it, really great mod and progress! but of course i got some gripes, regardless it's unfinished yet;

- trader guards' pistol shots are very. blasting-ly nasty, it makes really hard to beat them when they are crowded especially at the beginning. come on, man. i played it on bandit difficulty but it's still hard to do it. and yes, i do know how to use the stimpacks, but in this busy situation, it's still hard to me.

- also, they are much bigger than me in the first person.

- i can't get a dropped pistol in a short distance, you must come very closer to get it.

- some of the doors opens incompletely. so i must duck to enter, gotta fix that.

so, this is it. keep going!
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

That is really great looking! :D
Gez

Post by Gez »

I feared this mod was dead! That's a really nice surprise to see it :)

I figured out how to use the medical bag. Status screen, then clicking on the white "head:", "torso:", etc. parts. At first I tried clicking on the yellow/red "injured" bits to make them go away...

The crate with the objective can only be activated from the left half of its opening, not the right half.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Amazing work! Some feedback:

- Add mouseover highlights to the various stuff in the PDA (especially the health screen)
- Sometimes I get stuck from walking through doorways so I have to crouch. PlayerHeight too tall?
- Main menu could use a custom cursor graphic
- In-game menu needs to add support for users with invert mouse
- Considering this is a stealth-based game, player speed is way too fast I think...

I realize this is still WIP. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Also, a gripe not directed to you:

Really wish ZDoom would just have the GunOffset ACS commands that Ryan Cordell did years ago already so that OliveD can get rid of that HUDMessage weapon sprite hack. I've merged the code in my project and have used it for years; if used carefully, it will be fine. The "if used incorrectly it will mess things up" argument is really weak IMO...
Gez

Post by Gez »

Suggestion: non-lethal weapons. Stun guns, tranq darts, etc. Doesn't matter if as far as gameplay goes the only difference is a different death scream (like in Deus Ex).

There's a couple of vent grates (between ship hangar and the eastern crate room) that don't seem to open.

The elevator is one-way only. If you trigger it from the bottom level, the side walls scroll up (making it look like it goes further down) and the door doesn't close either so the illusion is ruined.

Climbing on crates to reach vents is hard, sometimes you're too tall to stand on the crate without crouching, and jumping toggles crouching off. Because of that, you can get stuck: try going to the cafeteria and jumping down the vent to the lower level without first picking the blue keycard. You're now a prisoner.

Said blue keycard has a red icon on the HUD, by the way.

I sent a guard overboard. In the storage room with the table that you can reach by blowing up a barrel, the guard closer to the outside wall was pushed backward upon death, and since death flattened his collsion box he went through the window.

In OpenGL, the mirror in the restroom shows either the rotating starfield of the sky, or a HOM. In software, there's a HOM when you approach the door of the elevator on the lower level -- especially visible when crouching.

Also in OpenGL, the crate with the star map doesn't display properly.

On the Status screen, the objectives are bugged and just display "unlocked" until the star map is picked up.
Cire

Post by Cire »

Really impressed so far. The start was pretty hard, I died a couple of times, but it gets much easier ones finding the blaster rifle. Got stuck after finding the yellow keycard, can't seem to find the door it opens. Couldn't seem to access all areas, jumping and/or crouching required I guess? Using the blue key card seems a bit glitchy. Did run it with GZDoom 2.0.05. Also tried ZDoom 2.7.1 and Zandronum 2.1.2, though they're too old I guess, just crashes at startup.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I only looked into this for a moment, but I have to say I was bugged by how the player's hands appear even in chasecam.

And by the use of KEYCONF to declare playerclasses, but that pretty much goes without saying for me anymore...
Nash

Post by Nash »

This TC is too specific, I don't think it was ever designed to be mixed and matched with other weapon/player mods... so I guess it's inconsequential that it uses the old KEYCONF method.

But yeah, deprecated is deprecated, I get it. Just musing that it's probably not in the author's interest though. Or maybe this mod was started a long, long time ago, (in a galaxy far, far away) and that was all he had to work with back then. :D
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Nash wrote:This TC is too specific, I don't think it was ever designed to be mixed and matched with other weapon/player mods... so I guess it's inconsequential that it uses the old KEYCONF method.

But yeah, deprecated is deprecated, I get it. Just musing that it's probably not in the author's interest though. Or maybe this mod was started a long, long time ago, (in a galaxy far, far away) and that was all he had to work with back then. :D
Perfectly valid points. It's just a massive pet peeve for me. I just can't have confidence in anything else in a project when it's using something so sloppy, outdated, and broken (and completely avoidable) for something so simple. Like, how can I trust the rest of the project isn't sloppy and outdated? I know that's an argumentative fallacy, but I can just never look past it...
doony

Post by doony »

omg this tc is amazing, this new mechanics are working flawlessly, omg best demo ever made! :O
wow 99/10

I found a simple animation bug, here it is
Spoiler:
OliveD

Post by OliveD »

I don't think I can do anything about the hands appearing in chasecam :( I wanted to fix it but unfortunately I'm using a really hacky way of drawing the weapons in order to have frame-independent interpolation a la build engine.

If you know how to detect that the player is in chasecam please let me know, I remember looking it up and not being able to figure it out.

Also, I'm not sure about the playerclasses thing, but yeah, I started this mod a reaaaally long time ago!
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

The weapon drawing is definitely something unique. If there is a way to fix it to only the player's 'eyes', then I don't think I know what it would be. If not, then I guess it's not the end of the world.

As for playerclasses, the proper way to declare them is in MAPINFO's Gameinfo block, which I see you're already using in this.

I'm always interested in seeing projects as new and different as this one is. I really want to see more of this, so keep it up!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”