[RELEASE] Doom Ultimate Laser Arena (DULA) v0.2 READ THIS!!!

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Seidolon

Re: [RELEASE] Doom Ultimate Laser Arena (DULA) v0.2 READ THI

Post by Seidolon »

Updated!!! See OP for much more info.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

Last edited by torridgristle on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arctangent

Re: [RELEASE] Doom Ultimate Laser Arena (DULA) v_ 0.11

Post by Arctangent »

Seidolon wrote:(it didn't even support weapon zooming via A_WeaponReady, WTF?).
Well, neither did ZDoom until the Zoom and Reload buttons were actually given direct functionality for DECORATE.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

torridGristle wrote:Image
Nice work. The previous sprites definately needed a bit of a cleanup. I owe you one bigtime.
Devianteist wrote:Zandy ain't so handy. Such a shame. Least it's got sweet air control.

Glad to see you're chugging along, making the leaps and bounds to make this even better. Keep it up!

P.S. Me and 2 buddies were playing earlier today, and they also complained that the starting weapon fired too slow. Other than that, we love it and this mod has been added to our weekly rotation of mods for our multiplayer sessions. :D
Well it works for zandronum now. And about the starting weapon, I now have a bit more of an incentive to make it function better since it's sprites have been polished by torridGristle. Glad it's fun to play. I'm also wondering about one bug that I'm not sure I fixed. When looking at a minion, it is supposed to display a name and hp ratio on the left side of the screen, but last time I tested it in DM, it only appeared for player one. I'm pretty sure I fixed it, but could I get a confirmation from somebody? I haven't been able to test it in DM for a while now.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

The first level has dark textures and all the players are nearly black. It doesn't feel as though I'm actually shooting at people, rather where I see lasers coming from. Any frag I obtain is seemingly by chance.

Best solution I can imagine would be to move away from the black tactical aesthetic for player sprites and use something brighter with colours because otherwise players can be virtually invisible.

GLDefs for the player firing could help, GLDefs for the laser beams themselves would just be cool though it may be resource heavy and require every other or every third laser trail actor to have a GLDef instead of each trail actor.
Seidolon

Post by Seidolon »

Yeah, I'm gonna try to find different sprites for the player or just switch back to the original ones. I was going to change them before releasing this mod but I never got around to it and forgot. I tried having gldefs on the laser actors before too, but it lagged like a bastard. I might instead make it fire two rails and make one of them have a greater sparsity and give those invisible actors the gldefs. It would look really cool especially in MAP02.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Seidolon wrote:Yeah, I'm gonna try to find different sprites for the player or just switch back to the original ones. I was going to change them before releasing this mod but I never got around to it and forgot. I tried having gldefs on the laser actors before too, but it lagged like a bastard. I might instead make it fire two rails and make one of them have a greater sparsity and give those invisible actors the gldefs. It would look really cool especially in MAP02.
You could do something similar to CPMA for Quake 3 where it has bright models (bright green, pink, blue, etc) so they really stick out. That depends if you want a different ascetic for the mod however.
auratoostronk
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by auratoostronk »

Vaecrius wrote:Nice!

Some comments:

+ Music was definitely worth the huge download. (Can't comment on textures since the sun is shining into my room and I can't see shit anyway, lol)
- I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate the starting weapon.
- Does altfire do anything at all?
* The single/botmatch could do with an "allowrespawn" MAPINFO setting.
* Bots can be painlocked making rapid-fire weapons disproportionately more effective against them than they would be against a player.
+ Summons and powerups and barrels are spot on.
Yo! Co-founder Nickthestud here. I'd just like to put some input on some of your feedbacks. First of all, I agree that the starting weapon IS really really really really really really really bad right now, but we will get it fixed soon. Also, me and Seid had started working on a customizable weapon system, and while we can't make any guarantees, we plan on adding more custom starting weapons, so if you STILL don't like it, you may have some more options in the future. Anyways, I really really really really really really really appreciate your feedback and I'm really really really really really really really sorry I keep using this bad joke. Peace out dude.
auratoostronk
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by auratoostronk »

torridgristle wrote:Image
Thanks so much dude! I had originally ripped the sprites from Gmod, and since I'm lazy when it comes to sprite editting, I did the bare minimum and only getting rid of the background and scaling it to the right size. I never really thought about polishing it up, but now that its done, I can say thanks for being a helpful cool dude. They look great, and Seid and I will get them in the pk3 ASAP. Thanks!
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Just to let you guys know, me and my buddies have been playing this every game night since it was updated to work with Zandronum. We all agree the starting weapon could use an upgrade, but as it stands right now, we haven't had this much fun since our Halo 2 system linking days.

Please keep up the fantastic work! We're looking super forward to any and all future releases!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”