[WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.4.4 Released! [HITBOXES ARE FIXED]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.1 Released! [QUICK MELEES!]

Post by TheRailgunner »

YukesVonFaust wrote:loved the update so far, but somewhat felt uncomfortable with the new movement, as some of the jump-disabled maps can easily get trapped. especially jump-disabled megawads.
A CVAR and/or a menu would work, so i can switch to Trooper Movement or Vanilla Doom Movement.
I, uh, can't do this - while I can restore most of vanilla Doom's movement, I cannot fix sidemove (isn't an ACS-callable actor property) or stepheight (which breaks if changed in-game). My options are, therefore, to either cut the stepheight down to 24 (which I might) and reset the sidemove to default (which I don't want to do, since anything a player can do in a run-jump puzzle, they can do facing forward or backward, dammit) or to nix the movement CVAR entirely...and if I reset the sidemove and stepheight, it's basically equivalent to forgoing the CVAR anyway.

I'll probably lower the stepheight for sure, but the sidemove thing is sort of a dealbreaker, unless someone knows how to work around the issue.

EDIT: I've uploaded a patch that can run after any version of The Trooper that provides vanilla movement. For now, it's the best I can do, at least until APROP_SideMove becomes a thing and APROP_MaxStepHeight doesn't break step collision when modified via ACS. On the plus side, this is the first proper patch I've ever produced, so I can move the extra guns to another, optional .pk3 (I'm strongly considering doing this - it also sets up the groundwork on what could reasonably called an expansion pack).

I also forgot to mention: As of the last proper update, dual-wielded XM-27s no longer fire in unison - they instead fire in tandem for more consistent painlocking. The caveat is that because of this, their recoil becomes much greater (though not as high as other automatic weapons).

EDIT II: If the stepheight is the only thing you want patched, this link is for you. This gives Joe Nameless the vanilla Doom default MaxStepHeight of 24, but retains the reduced side-movement and slightly reduced gravity of The Trooper.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Right now, by far my biggest complaint is that there's far, far too many weapons, to the point where I have to hunt through my arsenal to find weapons I still have ammo for. I mean yeah, they're nice, but too often I find ammo for guns I don't actually have, or I have to hunt that one gun that seems to get all the ammo. And then I'm surprised to find another gun that I thought ran out got ammo at some point.

Also the fact that a lot of guns have useless scopes. I mean, what's the point of spriting a scope that your never, ever gonna use?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Cryomundus wrote:Right now, by far my biggest complaint is that there's far, far too many weapons, to the point where I have to hunt through my arsenal to find weapons I still have ammo for. I mean yeah, they're nice, but too often I find ammo for guns I don't actually have, or I have to hunt that one gun that seems to get all the ammo. And then I'm surprised to find another gun that I thought ran out got ammo at some point.

Also the fact that a lot of guns have useless scopes. I mean, what's the point of spriting a scope that your never, ever gonna use?
The scopes on some weapons will be usable (primarily the Nishimura Seven, Pulsar-D, and Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis - which does not actually have a scope on it at the moment), but aren't right now because I haven't made scoped-in/ADS frames for any of them yet. As far as the number of weapons, I intend to separate everything that doesn't fill the ten basic weapon slots from the base mod and move it into a patch/expansion (removing the knife and sword from weapon selection would allow the Surfeit Torment to move to slot 1, the VSK7 to slot 2, the M97 to 3, AS-46 to 4, Pulsar-D to 5, the Last Salvo to 6, and switch the GPMG and DGA-3 to slots 8 and 7, respectively); I've noticed that the mod is suffering from gun-bloat.

To give the Surfeit Torment a bit of an extra buff with the XM-27 moving to an expansion, I may add a second revolver for dual-wieldable purposes (it would be differently colored, as the Surfeit Torment is a unique weapon), but I'm sort of on the fence about it.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

TheRailgunner wrote:
Cryomundus wrote:Right now, by far my biggest complaint is that there's far, far too many weapons, to the point where I have to hunt through my arsenal to find weapons I still have ammo for. I mean yeah, they're nice, but too often I find ammo for guns I don't actually have, or I have to hunt that one gun that seems to get all the ammo. And then I'm surprised to find another gun that I thought ran out got ammo at some point.

The scopes on some weapons will be usable (primarily the Nishimura Seven, Pulsar-D, and Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis - which does not actually have a scope on it at the moment), but aren't right now because I haven't made scoped-in/ADS frames for any of them yet. As far as the number of weapons, I intend to separate everything that doesn't fill the ten basic weapon slots from the base mod and move it into a patch/expansion (removing the knife and sword from weapon selection would allow the Surfeit Torment to move to slot 1, the VSK7 to slot 2, the M97 to 3, AS-46 to 4, Pulsar-D to 5, the Last Salvo to 6, and switch the GPMG and DGA-3 to slots 8 and 7, respectively); I've noticed that the mod is suffering from gun-bloat.

To give the Surfeit Torment a bit of an extra buff with the XM-27 moving to an expansion, I may add a second revolver for dual-wieldable purposes (it would be differently colored, as the Surfeit Torment is a unique weapon), but I'm sort of on the fence about it.
Sorry for railing on ya about all this, but could I make one tiny request? Move the Last Salvo to slot 5, which is pretty much always the RL slot in every other mod and in doom. It's so ingrained that I've died when trying press 5 to bring it up that I don't quite realize it's not there. That, and slot 6/7 is just of range of easy reach. Really, condensing it just a little further would help too, not every weapon needs a dedicated slot.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Cryomundus wrote:
TheRailgunner wrote:

Sorry for railing on ya about all this, but could I make one tiny request? Move the Last Salvo to slot 5, which is pretty much always the RL slot in every other mod and in doom. It's so ingrained that I've died when trying press 5 to bring it up that I don't quite realize it's not there. That, and slot 6/7 is just of range of easy reach. Really, condensing it just a little further would help too, not every weapon needs a dedicated slot.
The build I'm working on has the LS at slot 5 - I'm also increasing the speed at which quick melee attacks are executed.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] The Trooper - 0.2.2 Released! [ZOOM ZOOM]

Post by TheRailgunner »

A bunch of things:

*Quick melee bugs are entirely fixed, including on where Quad Damage sound effects didn't play during quick-melees.
*Enemies now chase the player much more relentlessly, and will often try to clear a line of fire before attacking to reduce the frequency of infighting over time. In addition, hitscanners can no longer infight except with non-hitscanners.
*Shotgun damage has been reduced overall - the VSK7 only deals 5d3 more damage than the vanilla shotgun, for example.
*Sharpshooter Arm now deals double damage.
*Quad Damage replaces the Blursphere again, at least until I fix Ultra Boots.
*Slot 9 weapons (Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis, Nishimura Seven Battle Rifle) can now be scoped-in with the Zoom key.
*Player movement is now centered chiefly around forward movement - backward, leftward, or rightward movement will be noticeably slower.
*Slots have been rearranged - the M97 has moved back to Slot 3 and the Last Salvo back to Slot 5, among other things (for some reason, I put the Pulsar-D in Slot 8). The knife and Demon Blood Sword are no longer selectable weapons owing to quick melee functionality (which is a good bit more convenient than switching to either of them).
*Quick melee speed increased dramatically.
*The VSK7 Nightshade has all-new sprites.
Lime

Post by Lime »

Hello!
- This arsenal has one of the best weapons I have ever seen. the sprites are fresh. Ok, time for the bugs.
- Since the update (0.2.2) is finished, I saw some bugs from the mod which is the hud. when you change your weapon into VSK7, the hud number from the bottom that shows the weapon slot no.3, has become no.1 & 2 (like mixed together). the old update with the weapon slots works fine, no problems happen. Actually this is the only bug I find. I'll check if there's more bugs happen. Also when you switch to N7, The HUD didn't highlight the Number (Weapon Slot 9).
- By the way, The all-new sprite of VSK7 is Nice! :shock:

EDIT: The N7 Scope is not much Wide (when you zoom). can you fix it?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Lime wrote:Hello!
- This arsenal has one of the best weapons I have ever seen. the sprites are fresh. Ok, time for the bugs.
- Since the update (0.2.2) is finished, I saw some bugs from the mod which is the hud. when you change your weapon into VSK7, the hud number from the bottom that shows the weapon slot no.3, has become no.1 & 2 (like mixed together). the old update with the weapon slots works fine, no problems happen. Actually this is the only bug I find. I'll check if there's more bugs happen. Also when you switch to N7, The HUD didn't highlight the Number (Weapon Slot 9).
- By the way, The all-new sprite of VSK7 is Nice! :shock:

EDIT: The N7 Scope is not much Wide (when you zoom). can you fix it?
The HUD bugs have been fixed (the VSK7 used to occupy slot 3, but the HUD number wasn't correctly offset, and the N7 apparently didn't appear at all).

As far as the N7's scope being squished in wide-screen...I'll see what I can do.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, the next update will bring a couple of changes:

The Last Salvo's HUD sprite is being redone, more or less using a recolor of Doom 4's Gauss Cannon, and the Aries Sharpshooter Prosthesis is being overhauled similarly, based off of an unknown D4 weapon that looks a lot closer to what the actual ASP would look like:
ImageImage

I may transplant the scope from the LS to the ASP. Other weapons (probably the Fusion Rifle) may be given new HUD sprites as well.
Flyingcomputer

Post by Flyingcomputer »

Both of those new sprites look gorgeous, the sharpshooter being especially nice because of the better angle.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Flyingcomputer wrote:Both of those new sprites look gorgeous, the sharpshooter being especially nice because of the better angle.
ImageImage

Firing frames are complete, so I can finish the process of replacing the existing sprites.
wooze

Post by wooze »

I think i seen those sprites somewhere. Did you included credits with this work?
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

wooze wrote:I think i seen those sprites somewhere. Did you included credits with this work?
Generally speaking, until the update is uploaded, I don't update the credits - the sprites aren't included in the public version of the mod yet.
Indeed they are.
wooze

Post by wooze »

TheRailgunner wrote:
wooze wrote:I think i seen those sprites somewhere. Did you included credits with this work?
Generally speaking, until the update is uploaded, I don't update the credits - the sprites aren't included in the public version of the mod yet.
Indeed they are.
So for time being this is stealing. Ok.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”