[abandoned] "SCOOMM" - Alpha coming: never

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kodi

[abandoned] "SCOOMM" - Alpha coming: never

Post by kodi »

Introduction
What eventually became SCOOMM started out back in 2011 as the beginnings of a mapset which was to feature large open expanses and lots of exploration. As I learned about the capabilities of ACS and DECORATE it gradually grew into me wanting to create an entirely new game, a first person point-and-click adventure game patterned after Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (and the Myst series indirectly I guess, never played them).
The sheer workload I'd need to put in soon became apparent, and I decided to split the actual game and it's scripts + ui assets and such into two separate projects. This is the latter one of them, and once complete it'll be shared freely with the community. It's name is a pun on Lucasarts' "SCUMM" engine and Doom.

What is SCOOMM? AKA the "TL;DR"
A bunch of (eventually) heavily documented ACS and various other things that will allow a modestly experienced modder to make a first person point-and-click adventure game in ZDoom, GZDoom or GLOOME.

Features
Current:
■ Mouse cursor interface
■ ACS-based inventory system
■ Powerful LANGUAGE/ACS-based dialogue system
■ Spaghetti code :P 8-)
Planned:
■ Automatic quest journal/log
■ Voice support for dialogue
■ NPC character animation for dialogues
■ Still image mode - for things like keypads, computer monitors, books etc.
■ Utility software for generating lumps and formatting text
Considered:
Integrating weapons with cursor like in System Shock (EDIT: pretty much done 8-) )
Optional RPG mechanics?

Screenshots More to come!
Spoiler:
Last edited by kodi on Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Re: [WIP] SCOOMM Adventure game codebase

Post by Slax »

Oh my. This could certainly help give birth to some... hilarity. :P
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Ooooohhhh.

I think I know exactly what to do with this!....

I look forward eagerly to when this hits a release. Also, I would reccommend you keep the SCOOMM version out and about for those who aren't quite ready to move over to GLOOME : P
Last edited by Silentdarkness12 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

System Doom?
Silentdarkness12

Seems more like a MystDoom to me.

EDIT: Suggestions......add a shoot button, to attempt to shoot any weapon you happen to have on you at whatever thing you are aiming at.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

There's been a couple of attempts at first-person point-n-click games in the past, Normality and Realms of the Haunting comes to mind. It submerges you into the world in such a way a standard point-click just can not.

I'd personally love to see a reinterpretation/remake of Realms, love that game man was it ahead of its time.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:EDIT: Suggestions......add a shoot button, to attempt to shoot any weapon you happen to have on you at whatever thing you are aiming at.
That's called the Use button.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Look behind you! It's a three-headed Imp!
Silentdarkness12

@Yholl

Not if the weapon got moved out of the main inventory system because there's only so many inventory spaces.....I mean, just having the weapons in the inventory is one option, granted a clunky one.
kodi

Post by kodi »

Slax wrote:Oh my. This could certainly help give birth to some... hilarity. :P
Silentdarkness12 wrote: I think I know exactly what to do with this!....
It'd be the best thing ever if this ends up being used to make something cool by someone!
Silentdarkness12 wrote: I look forward eagerly to when this hits a release. Also, I would reccommend you keep the SCOOMM version out and about for those who aren't quite ready to move over to GLOOME : P
It'll be more or less fully functioning in zdoom before I move over to GLOOME (if I end up doing that).
TheMightyHeracross wrote:System Doom?
Silentdarkness12 wrote: Suggestions......add a shoot button, to attempt to shoot any weapon you happen to have on you at whatever thing you are aiming at.
Yholl wrote:That's called the Use button.
Actually, since the UI is entirely ACS and hudmessages, it doesn't interfer with weapons at all. "System shock doom" struck me as a natural fork of this, but my personal focus will be on doing pure adventure stuff. If someone else where to adapt it to that purpose once released I'd be delighted.
CeeJay wrote:There's been a couple of attempts at first-person point-n-click games in the past, Normality and Realms of the Haunting comes to mind. It submerges you into the world in such a way a standard point-click just can not.
I had no idea a game like that even existed when I started working on this, but I learned of Realms of the Haunting a few months ago. Been meaning to play it ever since, it looks like an amazing game. Seems pretty obscure for some reason.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Now I need to see Wally speaking through his grinny theets, and Guybrush Threepwood finally got some beard on his babe chin. :-D

So finally you koded da boss kode Kodi, do you plan to add features ala Ultima Underworld Saga, whose will be really hard (I guess) to implement? Just catch some videos googlin' and you'll exactly know what I am speaking of (and I am pretty sure you know it, we had a small nice discussion on "How do I" a month ago).

Anyway, I am pretty sure that this will be my next mod to "inspect & study" if I want to release in the future an UW TC for Hexen, has I recently planned for 2016. AWESOME! :cool:
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

kodi wrote:I had no idea a game like that even existed when I started working on this, but I learned of Realms of the Haunting a few months ago. Been meaning to play it ever since, it looks like an amazing game. Seems pretty obscure for some reason.
Realms of Haunting is a truly amazing game regardless of what anyone may say. It's not without its flaws though, it's one of those games that hasn't aged too well. It was both ahead of its time and behind at the same time. Due to the nature of the game it must have taken a long time to develop, probably years because of its deep story, characters, live-action footage and the fact that every major prop in the game was made for real. They put a lot of time and effort into it. By the time it hit the market, games like Quake were selling like hotcakes rendering Realms' primitive 2D engine somewhat obsolete. On the other hand... Combining first-person shooter and the typical point-n-click adventure was back then a relatively unheard of thing and difficult to accomplish. The controls of respective genre of games was very different so combining this into one was difficult. Do you go for a typical FPS control scheme or a Point-n-Click scheme? They tried to do a weird mutation of both, and sadly the controls is what most people complain about with this game. In a time when Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem 3D were the hottest stuff here comes a FPS combining elements of PnC with a deep story, characters and a level of interactivity the other big titles couldn't even compete with. I think what made Realms fall into obscurity was its, by then, dated graphical engine and the fact that people weren't looking for "deeper" games back then. What drew me in and made me a big fan was its rich atmosphere and interesting plot. Oh, and it scared the crap out me.

EDIT: http://www.realmsofthehaunting.com/
kodi

Post by kodi »

Had to do a lot of work with the message field(s) and item interaction backend. Should only be a few tweaks left. Fixing the smaller message field meant a few amusing hours of whack-a-mole with if() statements. 8-)
Next up is making sure the entire UI works on all resolutions, so I'll probably have to re-render all the hud element vectors in various sizes a few times and do lots of pixel editing and conditional offset adjustments. :blergh:

In other news it runs perfectly under GLOOME as-is.
Spoiler:
Last edited by kodi on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kodi

Post by kodi »

I'm working on a photoshop document of a 800*600 optimized version of the hud that will be easy to export from. I'm thinking vertical orientation for some of the buttons makes sense in this format, but I'd really appreciate some input/criticism on it before I implement it in ACS.

P.s Forgot to answer ozymandias81
Spoiler:
Silentdarkness12

This all looks good to me. Loving it.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”