Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [v1.19] - Nov 9, 2015

Post by faslrn »

Marty Kirra wrote:Apparently this was updated in the future! Whoa!

Any chance of fixing the download link the first post? I'm eager to give this a shot!
From the future?

Oh. The lottery numbers are 3, 16, 23, 34, 35, and the extra is 39.

The download link is also fixed.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [v1.20] - Nov 4, 2015

Post by faslrn »

Super small update:
NOV 4 [v1.20]
  • Shrunk file size down to under 9MB (around 40% shrinkage) to continue the "leaning" of the mod
  • Tweaked some of the weapon animations
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Any chance you could update your Ketchup mod to the latest?
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Skrell wrote:Any chance you could update your Ketchup mod to the latest?
You got it. Give me a bit to match everything up and I can upload it.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

faslrn wrote:
You rock man!
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Skrell wrote:
faslrn wrote:
You rock man!
JAN 25 [v1.21]
  • New health bonus pickup sound
  • Fixed some sprite issues with minigun and BFG
  • Adrenaline now fades the screen red when the bar is maxed
  • Once the adrenaline bar is maxed, you can kill more enemies to keep your adrenaline from emptying
  • Fixed some combat rifle issues
  • Changed kick animation for some weapons
and

faslrn - Ketchup Mod v5 for Faspons

Make sure to load faspons first and let me know if you have any issues!
faslrn

Re: Faspons [v1.22] - Jan 29, 2016

Post by faslrn »

Oops, bug fixes:
JAN 29 [v1.22]
  • Fixed bug with shotgun chamber loading, allowing the player to skip it if holding down fire
  • Fixed fist damages with berserker
ArchXeno

Post by ArchXeno »

Really good mod, doesn't go overboard like most Doom remix mods do. I've noticed that the plasma rifle is the only weapon unaffected by autoaim for reasons I'm not good enough at decorate to find out. Is this intentional?
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

ArchXeno wrote:Really good mod, doesn't go overboard like most Doom remix mods do. I've noticed that the plasma rifle is the only weapon unaffected by autoaim for reasons I'm not good enough at decorate to find out. Is this intentional?
Should still be able to autoaim with it as the WEAPON.NOAUTOAIM is not set. Are you seeing this behavior all the time? I just tested it on the latest build and I can see it working.
ArchXeno

Post by ArchXeno »

I found out what it was, the A_FireCustomMissile for the plasma projectile has the aim parameter set to -1. I set it to 1 and it works. Maybe it's my version of GZDOOM, and i'm using the doomvisor hub and dark doom creatures.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

ArchXeno wrote:I found out what it was, the A_FireCustomMissile for the plasma projectile has the aim parameter set to -1. I set it to 1 and it works. Maybe it's my version of GZDOOM, and i'm using the doomvisor hub and dark doom creatures.
Ah yes, the aim flag on that function. I believe with it set to -1, it doesn't check for horizontal angles, so what it was doing here was just a vertical angle check. I will push out the small patch to change it to 0 so it works like it did in original DOOM because no other weapons have it set to -1.

So it was working for me, just vertical checks though.
JAN 30 [v1.23]
  • Fixed plasma rifle autoaim
There we go.
Baconator

Re: Faspons [v1.23] - Jan 30, 2016

Post by Baconator »

Hi!

I just completed Memorial with your gameplay mod v 1.22 and wanted to thank you for your hard work.
It really amps up the difficulty without being too complicated and I must admit enjoying the ride much more than Brutal Doom.

Conclusion: Fast, streamlined and solid carnage. :twisted:

But I have some questions and recommendations:

1. Sometimes the pinky freezes when charging. I feel that this mechanic is more clunky than adrenaline inducing, so I recommend maybe that monster to have random speed boost ? when aggravated. Also the spectres are too visible for my taste, losing their element of surprise, making this monster type completely pointless. Is this attentional?

2. I feel that BFG is underwhelming compared to pulse rifle and vanilla BFG. It doesn´t hit the monsters often, even when aiming close to them, I have had better results with the pulse rifle and some footwork.

3. Grenade explosion sound half the time doesn´t trigger, making me wonder if the lemon even popped.

4. Can you make option for us to have weapons under vanilla number keys? Old habits are hard to change and can f*** up some situations. :D

5. You have polished weapon animations, do you intend to do this for the enemies too?

Keep up the good work!
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Baconator wrote:Hi!

I just completed Memorial with your gameplay mod v 1.22 and wanted to thank you for your hard work.
It really amps up the difficulty without being too complicated and I must admit enjoying the ride much more than Brutal Doom.

Conclusion: Fast, streamlined and solid carnage. :twisted:
Thanks for the kind words man! Glad to see people are still enjoying this.
But I have some questions and recommendations:
Let's see em!:
1. Sometimes the pinky freezes when charging. I feel that this mechanic is more clunky than adrenaline inducing, so I recommend maybe that monster to have random speed boost ? when aggravated. Also the spectres are too visible for my taste, losing their element of surprise, making this monster type completely pointless. Is this attentional?
After a Pinkie is done charging, they pause for a bit to catch their breath. I implemented this at first because there were issues when I first started coding this mod where they would keep charging over and over again, causing some weird behaviour. I kind of have to go back to this any ways since I have a bit more experience on what I want to do.

What I have in mind in the next update (or two?) is to make them a bit more random. The Imps have random behaviour flags and I wish to extend that to the pinkies in some way so they all don't feel like a single pack of wild demons.

I can also change the flag on the spectres as I totally get what you mean.
2. I feel that BFG is underwhelming compared to pulse rifle and vanilla BFG. It doesn´t hit the monsters often, even when aiming close to them, I have had better results with the pulse rifle and some footwork.
This is a tough one. I've been trying to beef up the BFG in some way for a couple of versions now, mostly some sprite work and from there, maybe change the mechanics a bit. I don't classify the BFG as fully completed so do expect some changes to this in the future.

I think some of the issue is the sound and "feel" of the BFG. It doesn't feel like it packs a punch and doesn't give you a reason to use it over the plasma rifle.
3. Grenade explosion sound half the time doesn´t trigger, making me wonder if the lemon even popped.
I keep having this issue happen (even in other mods like BDJ). It might be a problem with either engine limitations for the grenade actor or there is a bug somewhere that hasn't been caught. I will take a look again to see if I can catch the bugger.
4. Can you make option for us to have weapons under vanilla number keys? Old habits are hard to change and can f*** up some situations. :D
Yep! I can totally cook something up to make this happen.
5. You have polished weapon animations, do you intend to do this for the enemies too?
I totally plan to. I don't have the best sprite skills but I would love to spruce them up in some way to make the enemies feel more dangerous. I had a few ideas like:
  • Lost Souls have a different animation when resurrecting an enemies spirirt
  • Hell Knights feel a bit ridged so would like to make them feel like a large, heavy, threatening demon
  • Pinkies lowering their heads when charging
These are just some things I wish to learn and implement over time. Like I said, I am not a great artists so I do have some limitations in that area but I have ideas and it won't stop me from trying to accomplish them!
Keep up the good work!
Thanks again dude!
Baconator

Post by Baconator »

Experimented with riotgun dispersion (5,5 > 4,4). It gave tighter feel to the gun without overpowering.
Previously it felt just not oomph enough when blasting imps.
Give it a try? :)
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Baconator wrote:Experimented with riotgun dispersion (5,5 > 4,4). It gave tighter feel to the gun without overpowering.
Previously it felt just not oomph enough when blasting imps.
Give it a try? :)
For sure! I'm always open to tweaks (since I don't think about a lot of these things most of the time lol) so I'll give it a whirl while I am at work ;-)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”