Faspons [JULY 20 2023] - Now Monster Pack Compatible!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: JUL 04 / DEV: JUL 13]

Post by faslrn »

Echelon5 wrote:ALSO, somehow I forgot this, a pickup sound for the grenades?
Oh, nice catch. I'll find one.
I've had it in mind to change the kick sprites for a long time now. I only used these ones because they were available right off the bat. I wish I could find a way to make them change colour based on what colour you chose for your player, but I might just have to stick to green.
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

I did a little update with the rocket launcher and minigun sprites by indexing the colour so that it matches the doomguy hands palette as well as redoing the magazine for the rocket launcher:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yxx1o ... 26+RPG.pk3

EDIT:
DBSGA0.png
DBSGA0.png (8.81 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
That should do it.
Failure

Post by Failure »

i love memes
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

Suggestion:

I've been trying to figure out why I have such mixed feelings about the RPG, and I think I narrowed it down:

It feels more like a grenade launcher or a slug thrower than something that fires high explosive ordinance. So, a suggestion!

There seems to be weapon groups with two each:

Two automatics: Rifle and Minigun

Pump and Break Action Shotgun

Plasma Rifle and BFG

Why not two explosives?

Something akin to what the RPG is now: high rate of fire, with smaller explosive effect, and then another, slower firing (maybe only two rockets/missiles per mag?) high explosive variant. I also think it might fill out the arsenal a bit more. You'd use the RPG for crowds, and the high explosive weapon for big baddies like Barons, Cyberdemons, Incubi, Masterminds, etc.

You've basically already got the graphics for it; the original Weapons of Saturn launcher with the single loaded rocket, and then the current one with the revolving rocket cylinder.

Thoughts?
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

My favourite gameplay mod so far. Glad to see you're still working on it faslrn.

I was wondering if weapon smoke could be toned down a little bit? I don't want to disable that effect in the options because it makes grenade explosions look much better, but it can be a bit distracting sometimes when firing weapons. Maybe make it so that automatic weapons produce smoke only after you release the trigger? Would also love to see casings, magazines and gore disappear in the water and the like. Like they do in Smooth Doom, but I understand that it might be harder than my previous request.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Echelon5 wrote:Suggestion:

I've been trying to figure out why I have such mixed feelings about the RPG, and I think I narrowed it down:

It feels more like a grenade launcher or a slug thrower than something that fires high explosive ordinance. So, a suggestion!

There seems to be weapon groups with two each:

Two automatics: Rifle and Minigun

Pump and Break Action Shotgun

Plasma Rifle and BFG

Why not two explosives?

Something akin to what the RPG is now: high rate of fire, with smaller explosive effect, and then another, slower firing (maybe only two rockets/missiles per mag?) high explosive variant. I also think it might fill out the arsenal a bit more. You'd use the RPG for crowds, and the high explosive weapon for big baddies like Barons, Cyberdemons, Incubi, Masterminds, etc.

You've basically already got the graphics for it; the original Weapons of Saturn launcher with the single loaded rocket, and then the current one with the revolving rocket cylinder.

Thoughts?
I understand what you mean with the RPG. Currently, it feels like a smaller launcher than the WoS RL or other mods and more like a grenade launcher. I, however, do not want to add more weapons if I can. I added in the grenades as a small subset of explosives and that is the extent I want to try and keep as adding more weapons means I will be out of scope for this mod.

What I can do however, is take some time to check into the RPG sprites and see if I can make it feel like it has more bang to it. Make it feel like a rocket launcher instead of a small arm that it looks like now.
Grigori wrote:My favourite gameplay mod so far. Glad to see you're still working on it faslrn.

I was wondering if weapon smoke could be toned down a little bit? I don't want to disable that effect in the options because it makes grenade explosions look much better, but it can be a bit distracting sometimes when firing weapons. Maybe make it so that automatic weapons produce smoke only after you release the trigger? Would also love to see casings, magazines and gore disappear in the water and the like. Like they do in Smooth Doom, but I understand that it might be harder than my previous request.
Hey, thanks for the kind words!

I can totally add another smoke option called "Min" or something so you would have three options:
  1. Off
  2. Minimum
  3. Full
That way, it would be less distracting. I understand where you are coming from.

For the water effects, that is something I can add. There are just some simple water checks but I would have to do it in small waves; casings, mags, then gore. I also want to make the code look a bit neater if I can so I don't clutter the actor defs.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

faslrn wrote: I can totally add another smoke option called "Min" or something so you would have three options:
  1. Off
  2. Minimum
  3. Full

For the water effects, that is something I can add. There are just some simple water checks but I would have to do it in small waves; casings, mags, then gore. I also want to make the code look a bit neater if I can so I don't clutter the actor defs.
Take your time. No rush.

Say, do you think something should be done to stop potential abuse of kick? Right now you can spam it while running. Maybe make it slow you down or even stop when you do a kick?
Last edited by Agitatio on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:
faslrn wrote: I can totally add another smoke option called "Min" or something so you would have three options:
  1. Off
  2. Minimum
  3. Full

Take your time. No rush.

Say, do you think something should be done to stop potential abuse of kick? Right now you can spam it while running. Maybe make it slow you down or even stop when you do a kick?
I used to have it where it would stop you when you kicked. I can't remember why I removed it. If I can remember why I removed it, I'll let you know, otherwise I can add it back in :lol:
faslrn

Re: Faspons [REL: JUL 04 / DEV: JUL 27]

Post by faslrn »

What's that? SSG can now gib lower monsters? Oh okay:

Code: Select all

- SSG gib option now implemented. Can be enabled/disabled in the options.
- Tracers can now be enabled/disabled.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

faslrn wrote:What's that? SSG can now gib lower monsters? Oh okay:

SSG doesn't gib if you are as close as possible to a monster.
Last edited by Agitatio on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:
faslrn wrote:What's that? SSG can now gib lower monsters? Oh okay:

SSG doesn't gib if you are as close as possible to a monster.
I have a special sprite animation that plays where the enemy is cut in half. What I can do however, it make it a chance jump so sometimes it does the normal SSG one or the XDeath.
Agitatio

Post by Agitatio »

faslrn wrote:I have a special sprite animation that plays where the enemy is cut in half. What I can do however, it make it a chance jump so sometimes it does the normal SSG one or the XDeath.
I am aware of existence of such animation. Which actually made me wonder as to why would you add SSG gibing, when you already have that animation. If you want to keep SSG gibing, then in my opinion it should happen when you blast a monster with an SSG while being as close as possible. I feel like it just makes more sense that way.
faslrn

Post by faslrn »

Grigori wrote:
faslrn wrote:I have a special sprite animation that plays where the enemy is cut in half. What I can do however, it make it a chance jump so sometimes it does the normal SSG one or the XDeath.
I am aware of existence of such animation. Which actually made me wonder as to why would you add SSG gibing, when you already have that animation. If you want to keep SSG gibing, then in my opinion it should happen when you blast a monster with an SSG while being as close as possible. I feel like it just makes more sense that way.
Currently I have it that way so I didn't render one of the death animations obsolete with the mode on. I can however, modify that it so that animation is overwritten.

I currently did it due to some requests and also to add some variation with death animations with the SSG (since my sprite work experience is limited, I try to find ways to add death variations as best I can).
Echelon5

Post by Echelon5 »

Would you minded if I did a sound effects pass on this? I feel like a lot of them could be beefed up and/or changed for the better.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”