If BD was made in 1993

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Onar4241

If BD was made in 1993

Post by Onar4241 »

Welcome to my first (released) mod for ZDoom!

Back in '93, where Doom wasn't that easy to mod as we can now, where modders and players started building out of nowhere simple mods for Doom, a whole new "era" for gaming started. So, this is basically a "re-imagined" version of BD that was made in 1993, which of course, it might be the simplest mod ever made. Although I'm not a fan of Brutal Doom at all, I really do admire the weapons models because they look totally badass and well revised. So this is basically replacing the old sprites and sounds of Doom with Brutal Doom version 0.18 ones but by keeping the spirit and animations intact. Nothing special, but you have nothing to lose. It is actually pretty fun.

As an additional bonus, it replaces the weapon pick-ups and blood splatters also. I think it is cooler this way.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9ebpn ... e_1993.pk3

Credits:
-Revilution (Gore sprites)
-Still waiting for other people to tell me if they contributed.

I don't take any credit for the sprites used in this mod. Those all belong to Brutal Doom's developers. I'm just making this for fun.

Have fun guys!
Last edited by Onar4241 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big C

Re: If BD was made in 1993

Post by Big C »

Brutal DooM's developer(s) didn't exactly properly credit all of its own resources if I recall correctly. I fear you'll need to source better than that.
Onar4241

Post by Onar4241 »

Big C wrote:Brutal DooM's developer(s) didn't exactly properly credit all of its own resources if I recall correctly. I fear you'll need to source better than that.
I did not actually ever wondered what Sergeant_Mark_IV does. Can you name all of the guys that created the sprites, please?
Big C

Post by Big C »

Well for starters the gore borrows from Nash's Nashgore, IIRC.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Onar4241 wrote:Fisting a Shotgunguy with cool gloves!
Spoiler:
Onar4241 wrote:Blowed those guys with the new Super Shotgun!
Spoiler:
Looks neat though. And as Big C mentioned, the credits are going to be an issue.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

The gore's code was made by me and has nothing from Nashgore, about the sounds and sprites, i dunno.
Onar4241

Post by Onar4241 »

Revilution wrote:The gore's code was made by me and has nothing from Nashgore, about the sounds and sprites, i dunno.
Thanks, lemme update.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

There were no useful Doom editing tools in 1993 :P 1994 at the earliest.

Also the graphics would have to look like some Deluxe Paint gradient-obsessing fuckery such as this screenshot:
Attachments
Watch_Dogs prototype
Watch_Dogs prototype
exdemo_004.png (19.67 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
dshel

Post by dshel »

Lol, neat. I've been wanting to play with making vanilla/chocolate compat mods recently too.

Unfortunately, your mod isn't actually compatible with vanilla/chocolate (.pk3 wasn't loadable by doom in 1993, the sprites were still png, and there were other issues with the internal structure of your file).
Here's your mod made compatible with chocolate doom (note: use -merge, not -file to load with chocolate doom...use a pwad merging utility with the vanilla exe)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/287nn ... /BD_93.wad

Sounds are vanilla because I did this for the lulz and couldn't be assed to extract and convert WAVs and OGGs to Doom format. Still, it's funny to see it running at 320x200 in a vanilla compat environment.
Onar4241

Post by Onar4241 »

dshel wrote:Lol, neat. I've been wanting to play with making vanilla/chocolate compat mods recently too.

Unfortunately, your mod isn't actually compatible with vanilla/chocolate (.pk3 wasn't loadable by doom in 1993, the sprites were still png, and there were other issues with the internal structure of your file).
Here's your mod made compatible with chocolate doom (note: use -merge, not -file to load with chocolate doom...use a pwad merging utility with the vanilla exe)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/287nn ... /BD_93.wad

Sounds are vanilla because I did this for the lulz and couldn't be assed to extract and convert WAVs and OGGs to Doom format. Still, it's funny to see it running at 320x200 in a vanilla compat environment.
This was inteded to show how Brutal Doom would look in 1993. Of course, there are no palette conversions or downsampled sounds because I think it would worse the weapon sprites. I think I will upload a link in the first post that's vanilla compatible.

Thanks for making this!
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Y'know, I was actually interested in this exact idea a couple months back, and kinda gave up on it due to lack of time. Definitely be downloading and checking out later.

8-)
Onar4241

Post by Onar4241 »

Caligari_87 wrote:Y'know, I was actually interested in this exact idea a couple months back
Glad to hear that others were interested!
Caligari_87 wrote:Kinda gave up on it due to lack of time.
It's cool.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I was looking for a lighter version of BD myself. Thanks for making this. I'm finding the main BD mod a bit too... ermm... cumbersome?
Nash

Post by Nash »

Revilution wrote:The gore's code was made by me and has nothing from Nashgore,

Are you sure? ;)
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Yes i'm sure, when he started Armagedoom, but after that shit became Brutal Doom and he started coding and messing everything himself, maybe he got your code too for additional effects, i stopped follow Brutal Doom after it became viral, i don't know if Mark changed the code to yours in the meanwhile, but i'm sure he started with mine.

In fact if i didn't put this on Orkut around 2007/2008 he would never be able to make such mod as Brutal Doom (he told me the inspiration came from Doom Reinforced somehow, well that time only me, Pedro_Vc and Imp Hunter was doing ambitious projects meanwhile he was just watching)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”