[Release] The Deflowering [ZDOOM Prboom+ Eternity]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Vicarious

[Release] The Deflowering [ZDOOM Prboom+ Eternity]

Post by Vicarious »

PREMISE:
After making his escape from the overrun civilization, the marine must traverse the demon infested wilderness in hope of reaching a nearby UAC base. The journey is bound to be dangerous as deadly traps await on every turn.

INFO:
This is the third map from a six-map set currently on hiatus. It's my first level after ~15 years and the first one I actually release to the public (yay?). Before it, I have only finished one map (which is unfortunately lost) and made a bunch of failed experiments. I came back to DB to make this set in July 2014 but ran out of free time to spend on it. I might continue at some point, I might not.

Huge thanks to Mechadon (from DW) who has helped me understand the wizardry of modern DOOM mapping and provided feedback on the map!

DIFFICULTY:
The Deflowering is about an interesting journey, not razor sharp challenge. It's meant for veterans but you don't need to be a DOOM master to beat it on UV.

Balance is up for a discussion as I can no longer judge it properly. There are difficulty levels but I'm not sure how well they stack up against each other. The main difference is the amount of enemies. An extra Medkit here and there on HNTR.

TECH:
This map is designed to be played under original DOOM conditions: no jumping, no crouching, infinitely tall actors, etc. Mouselook will not break anything so use it, if you wish.

In ZDOOM set compatibility to BOOM (strict) and Light Sector Mode to DOOM.

I highly recommend ZDOOM as BOOM has some undesired effects (such as audible instant floors).

Tested in GZDOOM and PrBoom+. Should work in Eternity as well.

It's possible you might be able squeeze through some trees in BOOM. Not sure. If you find a spot like that then it's not intended, so let me know about it.

I haven't done any throughout testing with mods. I know for a fact that Brutal DOOM will break some ambushes. Please refrain from using mods on your first playthrough.

Made with stock DOOM II resources only.

That's all. Hope you enjoy it.

DOWNLOAD [new version - 27.03.2015]

SHOTS:
Spoiler:

PS: Yes, I am Touchdown on Doomworld. Just in case a different username causes confusion.
Last edited by Vicarious on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grouchbag

Re: [Release] The Deflowering [ZDOOM Prboom+ Eternity]

Post by grouchbag »

Hi,Vicarious.I answered you on DW.I finished the map,and it was a very pleasant experience.You are a good mapper.I would be very interested in playing any of your maps.Good luck to you! :D
rsl

Post by rsl »

Wow! These forest shots look gorgeous!
Definitely a setting I'm willing to try out... :)
Vicarious

Post by Vicarious »

Please do. And let me know what you think!
Vicarious

Post by Vicarious »

A slightly updated version is posted. Nuked a couple of problems and added a text file.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

yes. more info. please.

incomplete sentences.

Return to “Levels”