OSJC's- doom3_guns.wad remix - now with 'the artifact'!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
osjclatchford

OSJC's- doom3_guns.wad remix - now with 'the artifact'!

Post by osjclatchford »

d3_guns_logo.PNG
d3_guns_logo.PNG (6.63 KiB) Viewed 4957 times
ok so I found a file named doom3_guns.wad in an old folder of mine and decided to sex it up a bit. nothing major, just little things like polished versions and personal-preferences for the pickup sprites, shell ejection, camerashake, new flashlight, general effects etc...

*DEVELOPMENT TERMINATED*
no further updates or changes will be logged on this project from now on. - Latchford

the original wad was created by chaoscentral.
other credits include enjay for his splash3.wad, nash for the gorepack, and eriance for the sprites I've butchered...

grab it here: https://www.mediafire.com/?4sdy2elh71ujkx7
It works by simply lashing doom3_guns.wad onto my osjc_zoom.pk3 (from this mod: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... ic#p667382 )and a few fixes, the doom2.5 ssg from realm667's armoury, splashes and nashgore sprinkled in for good measure and pow! elements of the past and future combining to make something not quite as good as either...

Installation instructions:
Spoiler:
now, lets get this out there right away: this is just a trifle of a modification and not to be taken too seriously. as stated above its just a mix up of two mods which turned out quite good and as such got a release. due to its cut and shut nature you may find things that don't quite work or are obsolete in the osjc_zdoom.pk3 . this is because it's simply knicked straight out of another of my mods without changing.
this is =/- it in its finished form and I'm not likely to be doing much more to it. so don't expect much more...

I have however recently updated the above to include a patched-to-work version of osjc_monstas8.pk3 for more flavour and sorted out the error with the ammo not spawning...

motivation for this this all came after finally getting to play fanaticalcowhead's dsdoom3.wad the other day and feeling the weapons lacked something. then i decided to give a go of altering them. it did NOT go well :|
in fact if someone wants to use this to attempt that and succeeds I'd love to see that! LOL but I failed miserably and ran away screaming.
but I still wanted some doom3 themed zdoom action.
As such I then decided to make this instead and I've found it works quite well to homage if not entirely replicate doom3 gameplay (not that I'd know what that's like anyhow as I've only ever played five minutes of doom3 on a friends machine quite some time ago) .
anyway: I've found the weapons feel right at home in back to saturn X - get out of my staions , as shown by this prev pic:
doom3_prev.JPG
this mod is designed to work with generic doom wads (doom/doomII,tnt,plutonia) and as such have texture replacements that wont work with btsx very nicely. but for those that own btsx and want to play this in there simply use this file: https://www.mediafire.com/?cbm1wapjm75j79s instead of osjc_zdoom.pk3 thusly on your cmdline:

-file btsx_e1.wad -file nashgore.wad -file splash3.wad -file osjc_zdoom_sat.pk3 -file doom3_guns.wad -file doom3_fix.pk3 -file osjc_monstas_d3.pk3

it should work with both episode one and two of btsx and also bear in mind that osjc_zdoom_sat.pk3 can be used in my aforementioned generic mod...

oh and yes I'm well aware that btsx fucks up the palletted weapon sprites but meh, I don't care so why should you?
Last edited by osjclatchford on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Endless123

Re: OSJC cant leave it alone - doom3_guns.wad remix

Post by Endless123 »

There is a simplest way to make it works

Simply use the zdoom launcher, add all .wad files and type this in the extra command line section : -file "osjc_zdoom.pk3" "doom3_fix.pk3"

In short it will looks like this :

And if played with btsx just add the wad in the wad section and it will work fine.

My only complains are the HUD icons are a bit too big and the dropped ammo are also a bit big. However it's not spoiling the fun and i really enjoy it anyway. Good mod :D
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

And what about ZDL3 Launcher? :-)
Spoiler:
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Thanks for making this, I was hoping someone would make a good Doom 3 weapons mod. There's a couple floating around but they're all really old. This one plays well, and fits right in with your OSCJ mod fine, though the zombies seem to be the only monster that don't get any variants correctly.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

-Ghost- wrote:Thanks for making this, I was hoping someone would make a good Doom 3 weapons mod. There's a couple floating around but they're all really old. This one plays well, and fits right in with your OSCJ mod fine, though the zombies seem to be the only monster that don't get any variants correctly.
Thanks but it Sounds like you've loaded this incorrectly.
its best you don't load this with monstas8.pk3 or such as various errors will occur. Simply stick to the command line I have posted above and it will work just fine...
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, it runs fine with your load order, I was just mixing and matching to see what else would work.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Well that's how this happened in the first place so its all worth a go once eh? :wink:
seedzhao

Post by seedzhao »

i have some of your stuff here my friend, as i apreciate your work, as well your sprites too... but one thing i´m curious, why is that it´s only possible to load in that order you made?

note that i´m not a expert in zdoom wads, i´m just a begginer...

well, thank you for your work man!
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Let me try to answer that one.

The way i understand it each file overwrite to previous one

for example lets say you have 2 files :

Doom2wad.pk3 and d2wpatch.pk3(which is the patch of the previous one)

If you launch them in the following order : -file Doom2wad.pk3 d2wpatch.pk3
The patch will be applied but in this order : - file d2wpatch.pk3 Doom2wad.pk3 the patch data will be overwrite by the original files in Doom2wad.pk3 and the patch won't fix anything

if i'm wrong feel free to correct me
Average

Post by Average »

Thanks for sharing. :)

A couple of things though. Firstly, there's a space needed after btsx_e1.wad to play BTSX if one just copy-pastes you shortcut text. Here you go:

-file btsx_e1.wad -file nashgore.wad -file splash3.wad -file osjc_zdoom_sat.pk3 -file doom3_guns.wad -file doom3_fix.pk3

Other small things are more queries I suppose as the mods do work. I've bound a Reload key but the shotgun won't reload until out of ammo. Is that intentional?

Another (again, small) thing is that I have 2 listings for applying doom3 flashlight and doom3 zoom in my Controls menu.

I downloaded the latest devbuild from DRD this morning.

Again, thanks for sharing. :)
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

The shotgun reloads with secondary attack button, so are all the weapons of this mod. Except for the chainsaw of course :lol:
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

wow, many replies! thanks

*UPDATE*
newest version is out get it here: https://www.mediafire.com/?q3947821chpyc8f or see frontpage...
includes nicer effects on the bfg, fixed chaingun camerashake (doesn't shake without firing now) and its shell ejections (rifle casings from mutiny.wad) osjc_monstas support (included) and little things like weapon upsound on ssg etc and some code tweaks... pretty much done I think now. :roll: yeah right...
*END*

right, lets clear up a few things then;

load order is indeed to preserve overwriting and replacement orders... sorry if there is a better way but I don't know it and cant be bothered with it as it works as-is anyhow...

yes I made a boo-boo on the cmdline. there should indeed be space... thanks for pointing that out as it could have caused problems. is changed now...

as for things in the control menu? I did say there is likely to be errors likely due to the cut-and-shut nature of the mod... not that desperate of a problem is it though?

reload works on the altattack function. end of. super-shotgun, fist, chainsaw and flashlight have none...

finally, thanks be to ghost for inspiring me to make a patched version of osjc_monstas.pk3... :wink:
seedzhao

Re: OSJC's- doom3_guns.wad remix - now with monstas!

Post by seedzhao »

thank you for your reply, Endless123.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Thanks for the adding the monster support, it's fun playing with both together. I did notice one minor bug, though it's not a big deal so you don't have to go back and fix it. When you pick up weapons they instantly refill your weapon if they're the same gun, so if you have a shotgun out with 1 out of 8 shots left, the shotgun you pick up fills it back up to 8/8. Not a huge bug though.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

I think that's an original doom3_guns.wad bug. Not my department I'm afraid. Glad you like the monster pack. Its much better with it...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”