OSJC's- doom3_guns.wad remix - now with 'the artifact'!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
osjclatchford

Re: OSJC's- doom3_guns.wad remix - now with monstas!

Post by osjclatchford »

well, the reloads function on the 'altfire-mechanism' so as far as the engine is concerned the weapon is not reloading but in fact firing. as such this alerts enemies. setting the weapon to noalert would stop it from alerting when firing too... I don't think this is a bug personally. it does make a sound after all... :wink:

as for item sprites do you mean health, armour, artifacts and stuff? I might yet do this on a couple of things but most likely not as I'm not that knowledgeable on doom3 and its items truth be told and have several alternatives in my osjc_zdoom.pk3 that would take a lot of boring (and frankly unnecessary) work to replace.
to be honest I only just realized that my interest in this comes from a love of Quake II. the weapons really remind me of those of QII and with backtosaturnX the whole experience is really reminiscent of it.
so I guess that explains my 'tweaks' of the weapons like the rocket and bfg. as far as I know the original setup of them was much closer to doom3's guns than it is now. If thats true I still think it was worth changing as I've only made such changes to give me the gameplay experiance I was looking for.

In hindsight the bfg functions an awfull lot like quake2's now... :roll: I do have code for laser effects like the quake2 bfgball (from my firearms23.pk3)so what say you? add those in? is it taking the doom3ness away or just awesomety... I cant really tell anymore LOL!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

The BFG handles well at the moment, I feel like that's always the trickiest weapon to balance since you don't want to make it too strong, but it can't be weakened too much either or it can't be used as mappers intend. By lasers you mean the ones that come straight out of the BFG ball in random spots, right? Could look cool.
osjclatchford

latest version: now with doom3 style shotgun-gibs!

Post by osjclatchford »

latest version: https://www.mediafire.com/?tqn1f702naq03pk - Also on front page.
- fixes the unwanted gibbing when using the chaingun and now features doom3 style splattering when using the shotgun/super up-close.

also decided not to do the quake2 bfg lasers...pointless...

Anyway, I was watching some gameplay footage of doom3 and noticed how the zombies simply splattered away leaving the bones exposed when hit with a shotgun blast up close so I decided to replicate this behavior in the mod on the zombies/imps. it seems ok but warrants further testing (thats where you + lots of killing come in :wink: ) one known bug is that shooting a bunch of guys, if the one at the front is very close and the shotgun kills the ones behind as well they all will splatter. not too bad a bug for such a cool effect eh? its based off of the plasmadeaths and adds just that little bit more doom3 flavour in...
the supershotgun is much more splattery than the standard, you've got to be real close for that to do it...

heres a pisspoor quality screengrab to show it off a bit:
soupasplat.JPG
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That's a pretty cool effect, I've always liked seeing the shotguns do things like that to show their power up close. Is there a way to make it happen a little less frequently, though? Like enemies have a 50% or less? Feels like it cuts down on the variety of the sprite deaths otherwise, unless you're able to add more in for the gibbing.

Also what would I have to change to boost the magazine size of the chaingun and machine gun? I tried changing it before but I must have changed the wrong line since it didn't do anything.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Thanks. I tried dicking with the mag capacity before but it resulted in funt ups... as for the shotgun death. It does only happen at point blank but after playing a bit I might make it just for the ssg. It seems a bit overkill on the shotgun... also the chain gun is still causing gibs on low tier monsters. Must fix that...
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, I was trying to mess with:

ACTOR MGunHolder : Ammo
{
Inventory.Amount 0
Inventory.MaxAmount 30
Ammo.BackpackAmount 0
Ammo.BackpackMaxAmount 30
Inventory.Icon CLP1C0

Changing those usually changes mag size, right? The machine gun normally has 60 rounds, and most mods change the chaingun to have at least 100-120 so I was trying to boost them a bit.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

yeah but I think the gun's code itself fudges things too. I might bugger around with this for the chaingun but thats the only one I feel needs changing (doubling)

updated again. see frontpage link
properly fixed so there are now no unwanted gibbing from pistol, mg, cg or plasmaballs. also dropped the splattering on the standard shotgun. I decided it felt better as a super shotgun only deal... more soon..? :roll:

*edit*
tried it got it working but didn't like it as the reload adds a bit of a handicap that stops the chaingun being too overkill, so left it be...
*end*
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

True, your chaingun is a bit more powerful than the Doom 3 one is, same for the machine gun. What lines did you change to get it to work? I think moving the gibbing to the super shotty only is a good idea, I'll try out the new version now!

There's actually a guy over on the Facepunch forums who's going into those Doom 2.5 sprites and making the animations nicer, so far he's just done the pistol but it's looking pretty good.

The thread is here (http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1148345&page=86); I mentioned your mod and said he should check it out if he's gonna keep fixing up the sprites.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

interesting... i've updated again; adding in 'shredding' anim for the pinky/spectres...
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That pinkie death is pretty cool, is it from smoothdoom?

And thanks for continuing to update this, it's shaping up to be a great Doom 3 mod.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

-Ghost- wrote:That pinkie death is pretty cool, is it from smoothdoom?
actually its the headshot nabbed from brutal doom...
anyway I've updated again. this time the cacoaltdeath (that looks like a shotgun death) only appears with the ssg. (I'd used it as an altdeath on my old mod but witht he ssg specific deaths now available I feel it makes more sense like this in this mod...)
the barons/hellknights sometimes splatter with the ssg, and the revvies splatter too. why not eh?

oh, and I'm glad you enjoy. keep playing and I'll keep endeavoring to improve.
osjclatchford

now with grenades!

Post by osjclatchford »

updated - 11 04 15
new grenades: heretic/hexen styled items obtainable from backpacks. not weapon based (sorry if that disappoints but I felt it fit in with the weapon reload style of the rest of the mod. also I had done quakeII style item-that-select-a-weapon grenades in my other mod and most of all didn't think it was vital here. just a fun little bit to add into the mod as there were grenades in doom3...) Also there are some improvements of the super's frames and a few other things too... :wink:
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Nice, they're actually probably better that way anyway. Even in Doom 3 you barely used the grenades since it wasn't worth pulling them out, so throwing them while shooting will work well I think.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Sorry if I've mentioned this before, can't remember, but I've noticed that when any monster kills me, there's no actual death message for the particular monster. Rather than "Player shotgunned by a shotgunguy" or something I just get "Player Died."

This sort of ties into my next point of chaingunners feeling a bit too powerful. I think I saw in the files that there's actually Chaingunners and then stronger Clydes (not sure if they look different?), so it might be the Clydes shredding me quickly; I'm not sure which yet since I don't get a death message pertaining to either. They take 2-3 shotgun shots, and usually enough shots from the other weapons, barring rocket launcher and such, that they can get off a salvo or two that'll really shred your HP and armor before you can drop them. This isn't too bad if you're fighting one or two, but if it's a big group sometimes even using a rocket launcher won't help, as it'll just launch them everywhere without killing them all, letting them kill you at their leisure. It's funny, but frustrating. :P
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Only difference between Clydes and chaingunners is health and appearance (Clyde's are doom guy chaingunners) and both use the standard cpos attack. altered damage might be attributed to something in nashgore or perhaps the original doom3guns wad... but I'm sure its nothing I've done... as for the obituaries issue; I guess I don't die often enough to notice :wink:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”