HXRTC Project Golden Edition Plus R15 (1 Apr 2024)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
4thcharacter

Re: HXRTC Project v4.5a (UPDATED 21 november 2016)

Post by 4thcharacter »

Mister Neauxbauxdeay wrote:
4thcharacter wrote:Nice FFVII reference there.

Does the tranquilizer potion have any benefits when you use them? Because if it does nothing than decreasing rage points it would seem like a filler powerup. If it doesn't I think it should have an opposite effect of rage bonus; making you take less 2x damage.
Either that or health/armor regeneration over a period of time would do it justice, seeing that there's nothing in the mod that uses the regeneration feature as of the current version.

Then again, we could also say the same for time freezing, slowing time down, or increased movement and attack speed.
So I tested the new version and the tranquilizer potion seems to do nothing other than to decrease rage points. But the EXP system makes it look like it could be really fun!

Health regeneration or decreased damage should suffice, although I think the former would be much more good since the armors can easily turn down damage.
Spoiler:
Mister Neauxbauxdeay

Post by Mister Neauxbauxdeay »

4thcharacter wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
All matters aside, unless that tranquilizer potion has something to go along with the decrease in rage points, we might as well treat it the same as we would the poison mushroom from Super Mario Bros Lost Levels.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Healing would make lots of sense for a tranquilizer though.

Also, the experience bar isn't working correctly. After 1/4ths of it are filled it'll be empty again. But you'll still level up.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Hi there Doom pals, after reading most part of your suggestions I'm preparing in these moments the next update for the mod...

After thinking about it, and based on what you have commented on previous posts, the current new 'potion' items are going to be renamed and also being changed their previous effects. So this way, the Hyper Potion is gonna be morphed into a Draining Potion (for stealing health points from some enemies while its effect is active) and the Tranquilizer Potion will be replaced by the Regeneration Potion (yep, it will restore slowly your lost HP from a limited time). Although the potion sprites will be the same ones, the respective effects of adding/substracting Rage Points will be removed; but also they will count toward item percentage (by the way, the HUD will be updated to show their powerup time) and, unlike the previous ones, these new potions could be bought from the Trade Shop Droids. :wink:

I hope these changes are to your likings! And now time for some quotes...
Pokky wrote:Hello, after playing through the mod for quite some time, I have a few suggestions.

1)The duration of the fire left behind by the mancubus and the pyroflamer are really long and it's annoying. Shortening the fire duration would help..
OK then, in next update most floor flames will extinguish a bit faster. (But not too much!) :grr:
Pokky wrote:2)The nightmare revenant's raygun is too fast that it's impossible to dodge it in time. Make the projectile speed slightly slower?
I take note of it, too. Although not for that will stop being a rare and dangerous enemy...
Pokky wrote:3)Can you make the homing ice trail or ice projectile more visible? It's really hard to see them since they are semi transparent.
Also will check it out! :shucks:
Pokky wrote:I have a few questions to ask as well.

1)Do stone monsters have increased resistance against kinetic weapons like bullets? I found that they took more hits than their fire and ice counterparts.
That's right, most hard-as-rock hellspawns have a greater defense versus standard attacks. They also resist some elements like fire and poison, but on the other hand they are quite vulnerable to ice attacks or to very powerful weapons, like the Quad Shotgun or the BFG'ish arsenal toys.
Pokky wrote:2)I had not seen a shop droid that offered cell ammo refill. Balance reason?
Simpler than that... My fault. :blergh:

A missing line from the random spawner was provoking the absence of the Plasma Ammo TSD, as I checked. Gonna be fixed in next update, sorry for the inconvenience!
Pokky wrote:A hotkey for the ankh would be extremely helpful considering how distracting it is to scroll through the inventory menu during a firefight.
I'll also consider it, but on the mean time you can also create yourself a manual hotkey binding it directly in (G)ZDoom's console, for example if you type this:

Code: Select all

BIND A "USE ANCIENTANKH"
With this command you'll be able to use instantly one of your picked up Ankhs pressing the 'A' key. This trick can also be useful with Medical Backpacks, using for example the 'B' key:

Code: Select all

BIND B "USE MEDIBAKPAK"
Pokky wrote:Any tips on dealing with the sinister fiend? I have trouble killing it because every time I land a hit on it, it will fake it's death; not taking damage.
It's true that it is one of the hardest enemies of the mod, but not impossible. Do NOT use any poisonous weapon against him; instead use powerful projectile weapons like the Saturn-V or some charged Pulse Rifle attacks. The Quad Shotgun can also be very helpful, but beware when it spits green ghosts and reappears in other locations.
4thcharacter wrote:Also, the experience bar isn't working correctly. After 1/4ths of it are filled it'll be empty again. But you'll still level up.
Really? It's strange, in my laptop it always works OK, I haven't been able to reproduce that problem to date... Could you please provide a screenshot? Which screen resolution are you using? Does happen the same if you scale or unscale the HUD? :?
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

I'm finding a concept of a power-up that meddles with the rage meter really fun IMO.

As for the hud, using a different version of GZDoom solved it.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

This isn't exactly a criticism of the mod, but I'd like to point out how HXRTC Project messes with TVR!.wad:
Revolution!, by Thomas van der Velden, pulls a clever decoration trick by replacing Doom's "hanging corpse" sprites with rainfall. In enough numbers, this results in a mostly-convincing rain effect outdoors without much impact on performance.

HXRTC Project, by Hexereticdoom, also replaces Doom's hanging corpse decorations by sticking rats all over them and making them destructible in case they get in the way. Unfortunately, in such great numbers, this results in what I can only describe as Rat Hell.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

4thcharacter wrote:I'm finding a concept of a power-up that meddles with the rage meter really fun IMO.

As for the hud, using a different version of GZDoom solved it.
You know, I'm also thinking in a better way to implement it... Instead of a potion sprite, maybe a pills jar or anything similar? :idea:

OK, glad it's solved! Probably a dev build was causing that issue, I guess...
wildweasel wrote:This isn't exactly a criticism of the mod, but I'd like to point out how HXRTC Project messes with TVR!.wad:
Revolution!, by Thomas van der Velden, pulls a clever decoration trick by replacing Doom's "hanging corpse" sprites with rainfall. In enough numbers, this results in a mostly-convincing rain effect outdoors without much impact on performance.

HXRTC Project, by Hexereticdoom, also replaces Doom's hanging corpse decorations by sticking rats all over them and making them destructible in case they get in the way. Unfortunately, in such great numbers, this results in what I can only describe as Rat Hell.
HOLY RODENTS!!! :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

Quick, kill them with fire!!!!! :flamethrower:

Leaving jokes aside, this means it would be better making a patch to play the TVR! Revolution megawad for restoring the draindrops... :thinking:

Also I faced a bit similar issue not long time ago playing with Going Down wad, in which there are some Dehacked customizings that make things a bit different when played with the H-Project... The worst part was map 29, 'cause the special Spiderdemon boss is replaced by standard, equivalent SM enemies and making the level unfinishable in a normal way.

So then, I could release some manual patches for these specific wads (and perhaps some other ones) if you want...
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Hexereticdoom wrote:
4thcharacter wrote:I'm finding a concept of a power-up that meddles with the rage meter really fun IMO.
You know, I'm also thinking in a better way to implement it... Instead of a potion sprite, maybe a pills jar or anything similar? :idea:

If you think potions are overused then I guess a pills jar could go well with it. Even syringes!

wildweasel wrote:This isn't exactly a criticism of the mod, but I'd like to point out how HXRTC Project messes with TVR!.wad:

:lol:

At least you leveled up.
nazakomu

Post by nazakomu »

An absolutely astonishing mod, very unique compared to most others. Played Doom II with it and completed it, very addicting. I wish there can be more mods with the tier that this one has. I really enjoyed the weapons and the sounds the most and I can't wait for more updates. Thank you so much for the work that you put into this, Hexereticdoom!
Hexereticdoom

Re: HXRTC Project v4.5b (UPDATED 3 december 2016)

Post by Hexereticdoom »

lunaticpandora wrote:An absolutely astonishing mod, very unique compared to most others. Played Doom II with it and completed it, very addicting. I wish there can be more mods with the tier that this one has. I really enjoyed the weapons and the sounds the most and I can't wait for more updates. Thank you so much for the work that you put into this, Hexereticdoom!
Hello, glad you like it, keep enjoying and having fun! :thumb:

And talking about updates, I've released another one some minutes ago. Version 4.5b to be precise, this small update brings some new things and also some corrections respect from last released version, so it's time to detail most new features in the usual changelog list:

- As announced a few days ago, the old Hyper Potion and Tranquilizer Potion items have been replaced/upgraded into new powerup special items: the Draining Potion (with this you'll be able to steal HP from most enemies for a few seconds) and the Regeneration Potion (picking up one will refill some of your lost health points while its effects last). This way, both special items will help you to recover some HP in difficult situations, however they won't exceed the maximum normal HP level like other health powerups (Berserk, Soulspheres, etc.) And by the way, they can also be bought from the Trade Shop Droids. :yup:
- Added some new pickup items: the Stimulant Serum (a replacement for the Hyper Potion, when you pick it up will increase your Rage Points by 30%), the Calming Pills (the Tranquilizer Potion substitute, and almost like the same it can reduce up to a 30% of your Rage bar, so perhaps it would be better avoiding it!) and the Poca-Cola™ Energy Drink (a cool, refreshing and pretty uncommon soda can; if you have enough luck to find one, your thirst will be quenched at same time your HP and AP will increase by 10 units. Beware with the gas!) (_)3
- Added a new type of ammo pickup: the Small kit of Assorted Ammo. Very similar to old-known-standard Box of Assorted Ammo, with the difference when you pick it up it will provide you a smaller amount of basic ammunition for your Berettas, Colt 1911, MP40, Combat Rifle and M134 Minigun.
- Added a couple of new taunting sounds: from now, the HXRTC Marine will be a bit more rude, now is able to make some extra 'funny' sounds like burping or farting. (Perhaps those could be the secondary effects of drinking too much Poca-Cola™ soda cans?) :trippy: :mrgreen:
- Decreased the duration of spawned floor fire flames: now you'll have to wait less time until they extinguish to follow your path with safety.
- Reduced a little the Nightmare Reaper's laser shot speed, from now it should be a bit easier to avoid it.
- Increased the alpha of most ice type projectiles, for making them a bit more visible than before, specially in some light conditions.
- Fixed a bug that was preventing completely the Plasma Ammo Trade Shop Droid for being spawned from defeated enemies. (Mea culpa, sorry for the mistake!) :melancholy:
- Updated the HUD for showing the Draining Potion and Regeneration Potion powerup-time when they are active.
- Some other minor tweakings and bugfixings.

More or less, that's all for now... More updatings coming soon as usual, please stay tuned! :)

Have a nice Doomsday, everyone... 8-)
constrictor

Post by constrictor »

one question the map addon also makes the minimap display like the one in the video? if yes, is it universal?
Pokky

Post by Pokky »

constrictor wrote:one question the map addon also makes the minimap display like the one in the video? if yes, is it universal?
The map addon doesn't do that. It's just make the marking numbers white, similar to the HXRTC's hud. *Be sure to load any map packs before the hxrtc.wad to make it work.
You can go to automap options, look for the overlay automap option and switch to overlay only.

Some feedback..

-Ice shards no longer hurts the player? Used to be in the previous version before the recent 4.0+ version.
-The spectral helldog is almost fully invisible than the rest of the spectre monsters. It's really hard to see it even in bright area.
-The Gremlin doesn't spawn mini-gremlins when dying on liquid surface like water,lava and slime.
-Liquid surface also make certain weapons unable to use like mines,hand grenades or the saturn-v's alt attack. Putting a land mine below is a pretty bad idea.
-The player sprite is really small when chasecam is on.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I find this very addicting as well. I love the variety of weapons presented here. It looks like everytime i download it again there are even more weapons and enemies :D

Oh yeah, i often find myself playing with a lot of money and nothing to buy, except soulspheres :lol:

But my only complaints are these:

- The stores. Very rarely, on tight or small places, they might spawn exactly on switches or doors you must open. And, of course, if you got money on your pocket, you'll end up wasting it because you wanted to progress in the game. My suggestion would be to bind a button that works like a "No, thanks", and sends them away, avoiding those siuations. Unless there's a way to do it and i don't know it yet.

- The Hand grenade physics. I love using grenades on most mods, because they offer a most strategic and fast paced gameplay. But these grenades here look like they're made of thin air;
They fly a lot, are slow and explode in mid air, so, it doesn't help too much.

Other than those personal nitpicks, this game is more than MEGAWESOME. Keep the good work!

P.S.: How did you turned your file into a PK7? :)
Pokky

Post by Pokky »

GAA1992 wrote:They fly a lot, are slow and explode in mid air, so, it doesn't help too much.
You must be using the primary fire. Try use the secondary fire which makes the grenade throw much faster and further, exploding on impact when hit a monster.
Lime

Post by Lime »

Randomizers are the best things for a mod to add. I love more enemies, items, and weapons from the looks of it. I look up for future updates. It is really enjoyable for me from the looks of it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”