Haze's Dark Forces Mod.

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Devianteist

Re: Star Wars: Dark Rising (Working Title)

Post by Devianteist »

HazeBandicoot wrote: -Tweaked accuracy of enemies, now StormTroopers are more Lore Friendly :p.
If that were the case, then the Stormtroopers wouldn't miss unless you're moving around like Doomguy. Being an avid Star Wars fan, I think the misconception that Stormtroopers have bad aim is getting rather old. Yes, most Stormtroopers have worse aim then clones, but what could you expect from normal humans? Being a Dark Forces-based mod, there are virtually no clones left in the Empire, because they've either died off in battle or their short lifespan caught up with them and the Empire doesn't have the funds it needs to produce anymore (as Dark Forces takes place further into the Galactic Civil War).
Another thing to point out is that the E-11 Blaster Rifle was known to have heavy recoil (this weapon is featured in the movies and the Battlefront series). This was fixed with the Carbine variant (this weapon is featured in Dark Forces and most other Star Wars media). The E-15 and E-19 variants nearly eliminated recoil altogether.

In short, Stormtroopers are just as good as plain old clone, their weapons were just a little too beefy in the movies. Their accuracy, however, in this could be much better.

Other than that, great job. Sorry for the rant. :P

EDIT
HazeBandicoot wrote:where did Jango's genes go?.
Since I mentioned it before I'll also elaborate on this. During the early years of the Empire, there was a rebellion on Kamino. Due to this, the Emperor decided it was unsafe to utilize a single template for cloning Stormtroopers. He established various other facilities, and had every Imperial cloning facility make clones from various templates. He also ordered that normal humans be recruited into the Imperial military as well. Because of this, clone Stormtroopers became extremely rare, as normal humans began filling the ranks. Jango-template clones were the rarest, and the only ones left were in the 501st "Vader's Fist."
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Thanks for the clarifications :D

So if i understand correctly, the E-11 Blaster Rifle featured in Dark Forces should have little recoil, which means a little better accuracy.

As for the Jango genes, i guess i should investigate more then.

The map is coming in a few moment, i'm populating it with imperials and items.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Hurray! A Star Wars mod! I've made a couple attempts similar to yours, but I always wanted it to be Jedi-based. So I had to have a light saber and a force powers. :P

IMO, there shouldn't be blood splatters at all in this mod. Star Wars weapons usually instantly cauterize (human) wounds. And if you're going for DF style there wasn't any blood in that.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

HazeBandicoot wrote:Thanks for the clarifications :D

So if i understand correctly, the E-11 Blaster Rifle featured in Dark Forces should have little recoil, which means a little better accuracy.

As for the Jango genes, i guess i should investigate more then.
You are welcome, and yes. The E-11 Blaster Carbine featured in Dark Forces should have less recoil, aka more accuracy in enemy and player hands.

If you don't feel like hunting down the books/games that chronicle the events leading to the decline of Clones, I suggest looking at Wookieepedia. Their information seems right on the money about 90~% of the time. The false 10~% comes from newer articles.

I also recommend doing research on the Probe droid, so you can improve upon the ones you have. They are nasty, I do say.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

Uploaded a new version:
-Bryar Pistol now has a secondary firing mode, fires a more powerful projectile that bounces off walls.
-Blaster Rifle now has a secondary firing mode that fires faster but less accurate.
-Added MAP02 "Disable the Imperial Defense Grid", yet another straight forward map, get the key, exit the level.
--Original map by Garrett Granger, re-created by me.
-Small changes i can't recall.
-Stormtrooper now is accurate once again.
-None of the enemies bleed or cast blood decals.
-MAP01 no longer has a Repeater Rifle, now it has the nasty Thermal Det. Launcher that may give you a headache, pro-tip, interrogation drones don't like Thermal Dets.
chelonian

Post by chelonian »

The Thermal Detonator Launcher / Packered Mortar Gun seems somewhat redundant at the range of combat that Doom players naturally lean towards, with the Thermal Det. serving the same role with ease.

EDIT: Did a playthrough of the two levels, and my suspicions were confirmed. The Packered's only real advantage over Kyle's right hand is the fact that it can spew the Detonators at a good rate of fire, though the right hand of doom can do pretty much the same with far more precision over longer ranges.
Last edited by chelonian on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

chelonian wrote:The Thermal Detonator Launcher / Packered Mortar Gun seems somewhat redundant at the range of combat that Doom players naturally lean towards, with the Thermal Det. serving the same role with ease.
A good way to mitigate this problem is to make it so that the Thermal Det. be forced to bounce around before detonating. That way it becomes good for throwing around corners to prevent extremely large ambushes.

EDIT: But I believe that may be hard to actually pull off.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

Totes not dead.

I have been away, mostly playing Monster Hunter in my ps2 and psp, also reading some stuff in the zdoom wiki, managed to make better lasers thanks to FastProjectile :D

Uploaded a new version:
Pistol and E-11 Blaster got their projectiles updated.
Added a new player class, the same as the first one but with a new weaponslot definition:
1.-Punch, Thermal Detonato, Mine
2.-Pistol
3.-Blaster Rifle, Repeater
4.-Fusion Cutter
5.-Grenade Launcher
6.-Concussion Rifle
7.-Assault Cannon

For the next version, i'll update the weapons, i'm gonna try to use the tutorials on GunLabs to make the reloading better, and make the Grenade Launcher into a viable weapon, peraphs make it into an actual Mortar Cannon.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

A Mortar Cannon would be interesting to see. I do so enjoy the fact I have to reload my weapons. It is rare to actually find such a thing in Star Wars-based things.

EDIT:

A quick question; what enemies are you planning on including by the time you are finished with this mod?
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

I plan on having most or all the Dark Forces enemies, and maybe some additions, also planning to add diferent versions of the same enemy at decorate level, for example, some stormtroopers might have thermal detonators, others may have a Repeater...
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

How much damage are enemies supposed to do? I find myself getting one shot if I don't have armor, maybe 2-3 shot at full health with 200 armor.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

They are doing some massive damage, i still have to mess with their damage output since i've focused more on weapons.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

New version uploaded:
-Better Reloading System, this affects the Pistol, E-11 and Repeater.
-Alt Fires had to be removed but i'll re-implement them later.
-Hopefully Fixed the HandMine using no ammo.
-TD Launcher is hopefully more viable now.
-Some minor changes.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Played some of the first Doom 2 level, that was pretty cool. It had a nice Dark Forces feel to it. Damage definitely needs to be lowered though, blaster bolts are going through enemies for multiple kills, and the pistol guys seem to do more damage than the stormtroopers do. It makes it hard to test the weapons and enemies since it's like playing a game of Contra right now. :P
YukiHerz
Global Moderator

Post by YukiHerz »

Just a quick update to say that i haven't been able to work on this by much, job is gona start soon so i'll just be able to work a bit in my free time.

If anyone wanna make her or his own version/update of this you're free to post it here :) .

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”