[WIP]Mr. Smiley Head's Safari II v0.52 Beta (March 20)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [WIP] Mr. Smiley Head's Safari II [Last update: April 10

Post by leileilol »

I always understood Doom3 as some "old guy is too square to be hip tries to wins his kids" kind of thing, and not some forgettable, unfunny, 'edgy' terry shitfest (which is what doomguy wants)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Some posts were split to Off-Topic.
Kizoky
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kizoky »

Uploading a few pics, just incase someone thinks this mod is already dead
Spoiler:
When It comes to level design, I'm not really a genius at it. Created tons of simple maps (since 2008), but never really made the maps look good. This will change, as I will take attention at the levels. I don't think everyone likes huge rooms with absolutely no architecture.

Quick question, does anyone knows how do I get rid of that Green line in the HUD Bar?
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Alpha 0.2 will be here soon
Gameplay is slightly touched, but here's the changelist (currently), and a few screenshot of MAP03 (Safari, AGAIN?!)
Spoiler:
Currently WIP MAP03:
Spoiler:
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Ahahahah Killer, you seems to do well without my aid for now :lol:
Anyway I'll give it a look this weekend, real life issues and girls are consuming myself for now.
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Ozymandias81 wrote:Ahahahah Killer, you seems to do well without my aid for now :lol:
Anyway I'll give it a look this weekend, real life issues and girls are consuming myself for now.
There's still plenty of problems, such as the Archvile. I don't know which Cartoon Character would perfectly fit his role. And the Revenant.
Kizoky

Re: [WIP]Mr. Smiley Head's Safari II [Last update: April 10]

Post by Kizoky »

I'll hear out requests!
What do you want in Smiley II? What did you miss from Smiley I? I'll hear out everyone and will make sure to make them real!
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Make sure you put many memes in it! NEDM is the number one, as it is Doom-related. The "level completed" screen should show something like the "success baby" meme. And since Mr. Smiley Head's Safari was just like that, you should write in ghetto-slang (do not use L33T though). For instance, you can rewrite in-game messages, such as "Congratz man, U found a secret area! Good for ya!" and "U got da pew-pew lazorz!" The rest of them are already discussed :)
If you can, you should make some outdoor levels too, and perhaps some urban levels. I missed urban levels from the first episode too, especially since the first episode mentioned a "suburbian slaughter". There were no suburbs...and no slaughter. So ye, I missed outdoor levels a bit. Since ZDoom supports several weather effects, this will greatly boost the outdoor atmosphere. You could design a dark land with thick fog called "Lost in da Mist" or a hillside level titled "The Evil Mountainz" and so on.

Meatball-shooting Eric Cartman and Hello Kitty as enemy FTW!!! :lol:
Last edited by Reactor on Sat May 09, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

i think that'd kill the 90s-esque aesthetic the mod has with all of the random sprite-replacements and "cool" things like Michael Jackson and Barney, which aren't very relevant to this day and age. it'd still be cheesy and dumb, but in a more... nostalgic way, i guess. memes are funny when they happen occasionally, not all over the place.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Fresh memes still can be applied, as Barney, Michael Jackson and "oldies" are not in the mainstream anymore. OK, Pacman is, and more or less Power Rangers too. I mean, I can really imagine a Spider Mastermind with a Trollface :)
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

Reactor wrote:Fresh memes still can be applied, as Barney, Michael Jackson and "oldies" are not in the mainstream anymore. OK, Pacman is, and more or less Power Rangers too. I mean, I can really imagine a Spider Mastermind with a Trollface :)
The trollface is not a bad idea, but I will not use it as a common enemy in levels, because it may be too annoying for someone :D
Maybe a Secret level with Trollface memes will do the job for it.

About the "Level Completed" message, I don't really know how to edit it, maybe ZDoom does not allow it at the moment.

And the outdoor levels, I'm afraid to make outdoor maps, that is one of my weakest points when It comes to level designing, but I will do my best :D
Btw. there's already an outdoor level available in Smiley II, but It is very short (2-5 rooms)
It's MAP06, I forgot to delete the currently-unused maps
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

NO UNFUNNY "MEMES" and no old memes either please. turnofthemillenium stuff doesn't fit here, not even hampsterdance, that character studio baby and especially not accusations of laurence tureaud consuming others' testicles.

As for Revenant ideas, thinking of 1994/95 nonsense modding context, I would replace it with sprites of a mech.........from mechwarrior 2......the clans demo....screenshot captures. because it fires missles from its shoulders (by that logic) because mechs are big, mechs are cool and there's a battletech cartoon on the tv so it would make sense for a revenant to go lrm up your butt!!!
hell you could probably nab full rotation sprites from an earlier Megatron shareware demo (pre-1994), wacky colors and all
Kizoky

Post by Kizoky »

leileilol wrote:NO UNFUNNY "MEMES" and no old memes either please. turnofthemillenium stuff doesn't fit here, not even hampsterdance, that character studio baby and especially not accusations of laurence tureaud consuming others' testicles.

As for Revenant ideas, thinking of 1994/95 nonsense modding context, I would replace it with sprites of a mech.........from mechwarrior 2......the clans demo....screenshot captures. because it fires missles from its shoulders (by that logic) because mechs are big, mechs are cool and there's a battletech cartoon on the tv so it would make sense for a revenant to go lrm up your butt!!!
hell you could probably nab full rotation sprites from an earlier Megatron shareware demo (pre-1994), wacky colors and all
I was thinking of making the Revenant the Ghost Rider, but this idea is better

And for the trollface meme, I planned to make a medium sized level with lot of troll traps (NOT Terry traps) (For example, you pick up the yellow keycard, and the previously seen door can only be opened with a red keycard, and so on..)
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I have a set of sprites for the Trollface enemy if you need them. Originally they were planned as Snowman replacements for Tristania3D (so they are not animated, and can "attack" by only touching the player), but at September, I eventually decided to change the secret level to Honour, and alas, Trollface was left out. Thankfully, when we started workin' on Tristania 2, Trollface was given a new chance of life for a secret level TROLLED!!!. As for their death animation, I created a nice cartoon explosion with the well-known explosive term "FOOM!!!" from the notoriously bad "Capture the Flag" tank game in freddyD's PC game review. So if you need the Trollface, I can pack it for you.

As for Revenant, I was thinking about a well-known manga character. Goku perhaps, or Sailor Moon (she is actually tall enough, and her moon scepter shots follow their targets in the cartoon). In the worst possible case, you could make the Revenant as a cartoon soldier much like the Shotgun guy replacement, with a missile launcher.

If I were you, I'd also add some static parody enemies, for instance, the crap-spitting Cacodemon from AVGN Adventures (Hell level), or Super-Mecha-Death Christ 2000.
Attachments
BUUURP!!!
BUUURP!!!
Crap_spitting_cacodemon.png (40.68 KiB) Viewed 6696 times
TriMetall

Post by TriMetall »

Chris61.wad by Chris Polan has a decent (at least for being an early 90's wad) replacement for the Revenant, called the Blob. That old wad actually has some similarities to Doom 3: SHS, so it wouldn't look too much out of place.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”