Duke Nukem Zero Hour Weapon Set

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MetroidJunkie

Duke Nukem Zero Hour Weapon Set

Post by MetroidJunkie »

The basic idea is to incorporate the weapons from Duke Nukem Zero Hour, I might include all of the weapons at some point in the future but, at the moment, they'll just be replacements for the stock Doom weapons.

Weapons list:
Spoiler:

The models were ripped using the VRML export for 1964. Sounds were simply audio recorded with the music turned off.

To do list:
Finish ammo replacements.
Give the weapons flashes.
Give the BMF its own projectile rather than the BFG's.

The to do list of possibles:
Get the other weapons from Duke Nukem Zero Hour in, these would of course either require using console commands or making custom maps to use.
Replace non-weapon items.
Figure out some kind of replacement for the chainsaw.
Possibly find a way to make the Havok's rockets split off in random directions. (Not random aim from the get-go, having them fire in the same direction but then they go in random directions after a short distance)

Update: The weapon models were offset over to the right side of the screen.

Download link to try it out: https://www.mediafire.com/?lsep5h6j94hd1y4
Last edited by MetroidJunkie on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sgt. Shivers

Re: Duke Nukem Zero Hour Weapon Set

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Neat, but maybe move the guns to the other side of the screen? The hands look backwards at the moment, expecially on the shotgun where you can see the left hand behind the right hand.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Thanks for the tip, that actually helped with the orientations because, for some reason, weapon models are flipped going from Blender to GZDoom so, after I offsetted them to the other side, I can actually see them as they appear in Blender.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

God damn this is full of delicious nostalgia :D I'll keep an eye on this.
Matsilagi
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Matsilagi »

Found it to be pretty simple, never played DNZH tough, i dunno, are the weapon anims really like that?
Still, nice work porting those
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Matsilagi: Zero Hour was a third-person shooter, so the weapons really weren't animated much at all. I wonder if it'd be more worth the time to try touching up these rips in a graphics editor to make proper first-person animation sets out of them. It wouldn't be "true" to the N64 game, but then, doing this from first-person isn't very "true" either, so I say go all-out. =P
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

wildweasel wrote:Matsilagi: Zero Hour was a third-person shooter, so the weapons really weren't animated much at all. I wonder if it'd be more worth the time to try touching up these rips in a graphics editor to make proper first-person animation sets out of them. It wouldn't be "true" to the N64 game, but then, doing this from first-person isn't very "true" either, so I say go all-out. =P

I tried to match the animations to what I see his third person model doing with the weapons as you fire like the pistol raising up to fire and the claw-shot being pumped. Any suggestions for the other weapons, animation wise, or maybe you were thinking more along the lines of twitching his arms or applying recoil or something like that?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I mean using the rip graphics as a base to draw completely new sprites, specifically for first-person view.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

wildweasel wrote:I mean using the rip graphics as a base to draw completely new sprites, specifically for first-person view.
I'm not the best at sprite drawing, I prefer 3D editing, and I'm not sure I'd want to use completely new graphics anyway since I'm trying to more capture the spirit of the original. Obviously, within a first person perspective since the Doom engine (to my knowledge) doesn't support being able to change third person frames based on the weapon drawn.
Matsilagi
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Matsilagi »

Well, i dunno, making them less simple would be a nice step, like, add "life" to the anims (Kicing and FP-like movements)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This is nicely enough done but those are very basic models.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Enjay wrote:This is nicely enough done but those are very basic models.
Does everyone just want me to make something from the ground up that's simply based on the original weapons? I suppose I could but I'm not sure if I have the available time to partake in such a project. :lol:
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I actually like the low poly model look, so I'd say stick with what you have. :p You could always touch up the animations later.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

MetroidJunkie wrote:Does everyone just want me to make something from the ground up that's simply based on the original weapons? I suppose I could but I'm not sure if I have the available time to partake in such a project. :lol:
Do what you want and what you have time for. My comment was merely an observation about the primitive appearance of the models. The punch hands look like they've been crudely carved out of a block of wood using a pen knife.
MetroidJunkie

Post by MetroidJunkie »

Enjay wrote: Do what you want and what you have time for. My comment was merely an observation about the primitive appearance of the models. The punch hands look like they've been crudely carved out of a block of wood using a pen knife.
That's probably because they were originally part of the third person Duke model on the N64 so it's naturally going to be pretty low-poly. :wink:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”