[Deprecated] Quake-style strafe tilting

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Quake-style strafe tilting (GZDoom)

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Enjay wrote:
Nash wrote:Enjay: I think that's because the camera is not the player (which the SetActorRoll command was used on prior)... I don't think there's a way to access this floating camera from ACS...
The player's view switches to the [wiki]Classes:BloodySkull[/wiki] actor that pops out of the player when [wiki]A_SkullPop[/wiki] is called. I don't know enough about it to even start making sensible guesses as to how or whether it might be possible to use the tilt via this actor.
Maybe adding some CallACS inside "Hit" Bloodyskull state, terminating first any other rollin' scripts... could be this possible?
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

I might have convinced myself of this because my screen is tilted, but I think that I'm strafing left faster than I strafe right.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

torridGristle wrote:I might have convinced myself of this because my screen is tilted, but I think that I'm strafing left faster than I strafe right.
I had also the same suspect as you, but I think it's a matter of some "phalse 3d prospective" effect caused by 90 degrees visual ratio. BTW, the amount of rollin' is the same for both directions, as script says.
underhillth

Post by underhillth »

Hmm... I wonder if this will be integrated into GZDoom in the future...
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

underhillth wrote:Hmm... I wonder if this will be integrated into GZDoom in the future...
I have fear that there will be more features with this rollin' stuff, so I vote for "YES" ATM... but sadly I'm not a developer... I think it's a question of time, anyway.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

You know, I find a "realistic" aiming script I made a while back blends nicely with this to give GZDoom an overall more fluid feel to its player movement.
You can grab it here if you're curious. I love this Quake-style tilting business; it makes me feel a little more like I'm really running about on foot. :)
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

SidDoyle wrote:You know, I find a "realistic" aiming script I made a while back blends nicely with this to give GZDoom an overall more fluid feel to its player movement.
You can grab it here if you're curious. I love this Quake-style tilting business; it makes me feel a little more like I'm really running about on foot. :)
Man, both additions are so subtle yet improve it overall somehow. I'm liking these!
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

SidDoyle wrote:You know, I find a "realistic" aiming script I made a while back blends nicely with this to give GZDoom an overall more fluid feel to its player movement.
I think I see what it's trying to mimic, the way your arm overshoots when you swing it and the way it snaps back into place. Only problem is it moves sort of slow and is displaced over too far a distance when you swing really fast.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Just tried it some months ago, but I had a strange feeling while moving with QTilt effects (expecially underwater), also I had several belly aches with this one. I think that it doesn't work in conjunction with QTilt effects.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Aw man, there isn't a version that works with GZDoom v. 1.8.10?

I would use 2.1 or later, but certain mods just keep crashing when I do so (such as Ultimate Torment And Torture, and Stronghold: On The Edge Of Chaos).
Last edited by DoomKrakken on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big C

Post by Big C »

This + tilt + mousetilt = PERFECT for Hideous Destructor. When I sprint I feel like I'm desperately trying to get out of the way.
Average

Post by Average »

I really hope (though I doubt) that this tilting mechanic is added to ZDoom as an official feature/option. It would be a shame if such a simple yet cool feature either fell by the wayside or, worse, was then taken up by other devs and used in their own mods which might then cause conflicts. I really think this is a super cool little feature and I don't want it to end up like 'reloading weapons' where some mods use the now built-in reload of ZDoom and some use their own method where key binds are tacked on at the bottom of the controls menu.

Please add this to the main engine as a menu-switchable/mapinfo-switchable option and allow it to remain a small but slick addition to ZDoom. :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

The software renderer used by ZDoom does not support tilting. It will never work.
Average

Post by Average »

Nash wrote:The software renderer used by ZDoom does not support tilting. It will never work.
Sorry, I meant GZDoom. :)
ShinyCrobat

Post by ShinyCrobat »

Just wanna say, I have the Strafe and Mouse Tilt on my global autoload now. Don't know how i'd play without them, thanks guys!

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”