[Deprecated] Quake-style strafe tilting

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Ral22
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Quake-style strafe tilting (GZDoom)

Post by Ral22 »

Just as a quick add-on, I added onto this idea by allowing mouse yaw to affect the rotation too, akin to turning in Powerslave on the PSX. The altered version is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/?1mp06lg338i6xhm
Nash

Post by Nash »

Impressive! Although... I wonder if it's just me, or does the mouse yaw effect feel a little jerky? I took a brief look at your code and I'm thinking if you could unify all of the effects and condense them into a single loop/script? It would be neater than having 3 player scripts running at the same time...
Ral22
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Ral22 »

Oh, yeah, it's totally possible to condense it all down into one. I left them separate so it's easier to distinguish them, in case someone just wants the yaw script and not the tilt script. If I was to use these features, I'd condense it down to one.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Oh this feels so surreal. :trippy:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nash wrote:I wonder if it's just me, or does the mouse yaw effect feel a little jerky?
It's not just you. It seemed OK when I was merely standing still waving the mouse around to have a look, but when I started actually playing, there was definitely a jerkiness to the movement.
DoukDouk

Post by DoukDouk »

Awesome! I'm loving the new rolling and tilting code. It adds so much more! :D Maybe soon we can have flight sims?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

The strafe-tilt feels great! The mouse-tilt feels a little odd, though, but I can't really explain why.
Nash

Post by Nash »

DoukDouk wrote:Awesome! I'm loving the new rolling and tilting code. It adds so much more! :D Maybe soon we can have flight sims?
That's what I'd like to see. I hope someone makes a Descent mod with full 6 degrees of movement!
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

NASH!!! DON'T GIVE ME IDEAS, I STILL WANT FINISH HUNTER'S MOON!

Edit: btw, i ripped the assets from Descent 3 to Blender and even made a own remastered version of the level 1 music from Descent 1 just because the game completes 20 years this year, i could do such mod myself, but the reason why i will not go is right above this edit :?
MG_Man

Post by MG_Man »

Nash wrote:Impressive! Although... I wonder if it's just me, or does the mouse yaw effect feel a little jerky? I took a brief look at your code and I'm thinking if you could unify all of the effects and condense them into a single loop/script? It would be neater than having 3 player scripts running at the same time...
I have a feeling this is because the game engine and therefore ACS scripts run at 35FPS, so it looks choppy if you're playing at 60.

Unless it does interpolation like it does for player input view changes. Maybe it was never implemented for roll yet?

EDIT: Failing that, it could simply have to do with the fact that mouse input is highly erratic. Even if you think you're moving your mouse at a constant speed, the values reported by it can still vary quite a bit. You can notice this if you use GlovePIE to map the mouse to a virtual joystick and look at it in the control panel. If you use the arrow keys to turn (guaranteed constant speed) or a joystick axis, it looks fine with no stuttering.

You will need to write some kind of smoothing algorithm.

However, I really think the lack of interpolation is the main cause of this. It seems perfectly fine with cl_capfps on.
Last edited by MG_Man on Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Average

Post by Average »

Just wanted to say that this is a great effect and really adds to the game. Is it safe to add it to my autoload list or is there the potential for clashes/conflicts with other mods?

Thanks for sharing this Nash. I really like it!
Nash

Post by Nash »

You're welcome! There shouldn't be problems adding it to the autoload for now, although I imagine in future, other people will adapt the code and include it into their own mods...
Average

Post by Average »

Cool beans. Added to my autoload. Thanks again. :)
Big C

Post by Big C »

This goes REALLY nicely with Hideous Destructor. Adds a key little bit of immersion.
Matsilagi
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Matsilagi »

Any updates about the car physics for GZdoom?
I have some ideas in mind (however, i will have to learn a lot about doom coding to do them).

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”