Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Batandy

Re: DooM : The Golden Souls 2 [Demo Released!]

Post by Batandy »

Just posted an album full of GS1 and GS2 sketches!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 713&type=3
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

If there will be levels in GB style, maybe they can be unlocked by collection special items in the normal levels?? Kind Like DKC have with the letters KONG and when they are complete in the world map the new level apear as "the Retro soul challenge" with a nice reward at the end :)
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

I like that idea
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Secret levels are gonna be in like you said, but they don't have a shared theme, they'll just be way more over the top than the regular levels in both aesthetics and gameplay :)
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Sliding Blocks: Electric Boogaloo
https://www.facebook.com/goldensouls2/p ... =3&theater

Also, new menu!
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

"Which one is the right switch?" to me.
BFG

Post by BFG »

"Golden Souls Two, Now You've Gotta Power"
Awesome mod this keeps getting better and better, love that its a hybrid of like the Mario games & Doom
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Golden Souls 2 Demo Survey
Enjoyed the 3 map demo?
Please take a minute to complete this survey, it'll help me alot for the further development of the game!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1bLNSfK ... E/viewform
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Captain J wrote:"Which one is the right switch?" to me.
You really meant "Which switch is which?" right?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

if the grammar is correct, yes.
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

I'd complete your survey, if it didn't require logging in to a different account. I played the beta.(Why does it say 3 maps, when it's clearly more? Edit: I just saw there is a new version uploaded. Giving it a try now.) Unless you meant there are 3 worlds. I haven't beaten the Afrit yet so I wouldn't know. Compared to the first golden souls this one needs quite a bit of polishing. The animation of the ssg is nice, but it seems like it's adding time to the reload. The first shotgun weapon in the GS1 was much better and balanced. The pistol is fine as is. MG is quite a bit inaccurate, but it's to be expected. Just means I have to hit the fire button a lot more to deal with far away enemies.

The beta seems very trap happy. Was really annoying when I was using one of the newer versions of GZDoom and it would crash every time I got crushed/died from liquid. A lot more saving/reloading required in this version considering how punishing these jumps are. Jumping seems way too floaty and not enough control. Really makes a lot of those jumps quite dickish, especially those big coin pickups.

I do like being able to enter previously beaten levels and finding new gear/secrets ( I assume when the real project is finished they will have better rewards. The 1 key I managed to get pretty much lead me to nothing on the rocky level, because I was already at full health. Why have a secret door like that hidden in the level for something so useless? Thought it may have been a health upgrade considering it's a heart container sprite referring to LoZ.

So with a bit of reworking to the jumping and guns this could turn out pretty awesome like the first one.

edit: just "Beat" the Afrit boss. That thing moves far too quickly, and takes far too much to kill it legitimately. I put God mode on and unloaded all my shells point blank and it still lived. Either keep it's Tankiness the same and nerf the speed, or nerf the tankiness and keep the speed. Both is just ridiculous. I would understand it's speed if the projectiles it spammed didn't have an after effect lasting longer than 5 seconds, which deals tremendous damage even if you aren't visually inside it's fire. So strafing becomes useless when the after effects surround you. It moves faster than an archvile on Nightmare+fast monsters. It basically teleports around the area. Compared to GS1 bosses this boss is insanely difficult.
Doomguy914

Post by Doomguy914 »

Just played the demo. Good thing I can go back to the old GoldenSouls. Really not liking the direction this 2nd one is heading.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

As I had stated before instant deaths should be equalized with something else. Right now it just seems like an unfair romhack at times.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Doomguy914 wrote:I'd complete your survey, if it didn't require logging in to a different account. I played the beta.(Why does it say 3 maps, when it's clearly more? Edit: I just saw there is a new version uploaded. Giving it a try now.) Unless you meant there are 3 worlds. I haven't beaten the Afrit yet so I wouldn't know. Compared to the first golden souls this one needs quite a bit of polishing. The animation of the ssg is nice, but it seems like it's adding time to the reload. The first shotgun weapon in the GS1 was much better and balanced. The pistol is fine as is. MG is quite a bit inaccurate, but it's to be expected. Just means I have to hit the fire button a lot more to deal with far away enemies.

The beta seems very trap happy. Was really annoying when I was using one of the newer versions of GZDoom and it would crash every time I got crushed/died from liquid. A lot more saving/reloading required in this version considering how punishing these jumps are. Jumping seems way too floaty and not enough control. Really makes a lot of those jumps quite dickish, especially those big coin pickups.

I do like being able to enter previously beaten levels and finding new gear/secrets ( I assume when the real project is finished they will have better rewards. The 1 key I managed to get pretty much lead me to nothing on the rocky level, because I was already at full health. Why have a secret door like that hidden in the level for something so useless? Thought it may have been a health upgrade considering it's a heart container sprite referring to LoZ.

So with a bit of reworking to the jumping and guns this could turn out pretty awesome like the first one.

edit: just "Beat" the Afrit boss. That thing moves far too quickly, and takes far too much to kill it legitimately. I put God mode on and unloaded all my shells point blank and it still lived. Either keep it's Tankiness the same and nerf the speed, or nerf the tankiness and keep the speed. Both is just ridiculous. I would understand it's speed if the projectiles it spammed didn't have an after effect lasting longer than 5 seconds, which deals tremendous damage even if you aren't visually inside it's fire. So strafing becomes useless when the after effects surround you. It moves faster than an archvile on Nightmare+fast monsters. It basically teleports around the area. Compared to GS1 bosses this boss is insanely difficult.
Well, you have to think of the skull keys not only as keys that let you go to secret routes, but also as elements that might make some sections of the map easier or give you bonuses, much like Super Mario World's Switch palace blocks, things like Big Coins will never be locked behind those keys, because i want the player to be able to 100% complete a world without backtracking if they want, but there'll be secret passages with those keys, it's just not the thing i'm focusing on, since what the game needs at the moment is to have every main level completed, so i can work on the rest after the main game's done.

I'm surprised you don't like the player's jump, honestly, i believe it does have a lot of control, you can basically do a 180° turn while in midair

Bosses are still subject to balancing, the first one is actually tricky to balance because you don't have explosive weapons to help you
Doomguy914 wrote:Just played the demo. Good thing I can go back to the old GoldenSouls. Really not liking the direction this 2nd one is heading.
Huh, alright, have fun. There's no point in making a sequel if you don't shake up things a bit. I do not want to make a carbon copy of GS1, and i think it shows in the progress i've posted, the core element of jolly levels, hub and over the top plot is still there. I'm just trying different stuff.
SamVision wrote:As I had stated before instant deaths should be equalized with something else. Right now it just seems like an unfair romhack at times.
As i said, i believe the game is balanced this way, this game isn't a jumpmaze, and you can quicksave with F6 whenever you want.

Still, i'm working on a new mechanic that will make quicksaves less important

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”