Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Batandy

Re: DooM : The Golden Souls 2 [Beta 0.1 Out!]

Post by Batandy »

Devianteist wrote:I just remembered something that would be neat to try and replicate from the 2D Mario games in GS2. As many people may remember, there were checkpoints in some (maybe all? I can't remember) levels of Super Mario World 2 (correct me if I'm wrong about that) that were activated by running through the tape.

They also gave Mario an immediate Mushroom upgrade if he didn't have one (aka if he was tiny).

This should be relatively simple to do, I believe, yes (using a Soulsphere changed to look like a ribbon and an Autosave walkover Linedef)? Just throwing my 2 cents out there.
Seems kinda pointless since you can quicksave, but i guess i could add some autosave linedefs... hmm...
Flynn Taggart wrote:I'm really looking forward to this and loving it MUCH more than the first golden souls so far. I hope to see a lot of different level types like the first one if not a bit more, I sorta worry that standard world templates like Grass world, Desert World, Snow world, etc. will stifle the variety in level types (but looking at the current demo, hopefully this won't be the case).

Something to make it feel more like SMW is if you start up a new game you could have a cutscene with a short story like this:

And just a side thought. It would be funny to see cutscenes after each castle of doomguy destroying it in a hilarious fashion like SMW. Of course that would probably be difficult to pull off.
I'm planning another GS1 styled intro, but it's not my priority atm

And finally...Big Coin info!
You've been waiting for this since the first golden souls... well, it's here, in the sequel :)
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Batandy wrote:
Devianteist wrote:I just remembered something that would be neat to try and replicate from the 2D Mario games in GS2. As many people may remember, there were checkpoints in some (maybe all? I can't remember) levels of Super Mario World 2 (correct me if I'm wrong about that) that were activated by running through the tape.

They also gave Mario an immediate Mushroom upgrade if he didn't have one (aka if he was tiny).

This should be relatively simple to do, I believe, yes (using a Soulsphere changed to look like a ribbon and an Autosave walkover Linedef)? Just throwing my 2 cents out there.
Seems kinda pointless since you can quicksave, but i guess i could add some autosave linedefs... hmm...
There's plenty of point to it, really. The Soulsphere health boost could a life-saver, and the autosave linedef "checkpoint" could further invoke the feel of the 2D Mario games, as well as make harder levels only slightly less difficult. It's a silly suggestion, yes, but it's good to experiment, yeah?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Devianteist wrote:
Batandy wrote:

There's plenty of point to it, really. The Soulsphere health boost could a life-saver, and the autosave linedef "checkpoint" could further invoke the feel of the 2D Mario games, as well as make harder levels only slightly less difficult. It's a silly suggestion, yes, but it's good to experiment, yeah?
There will be portable medkits again (they just won't be called portable medkits), they are just not avaiable in the first world
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

I forgot about those. :oops:
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Will be better if the big coins where on the down right corner, on the upside part of the ammo and coins are?? plus if you will be adding the red coins hunt too or another extra info or sub objective it may be well to add there to, the only diference is that it will only show on the levels were those functions are active;
Example;
RED COINS : 0/10
BIG COINS: 3/5
DOOM LETTERS: 2/4

And yeah maybe add the hunt for the word doom in letters as dkc did on snes? but no idea what they will give once you form the word doom, maybe a big coin, maybe a soul spear or mega spear, or or i dunno, of course this hunt will no be a pain in the ass ¬¬
Evilm0nk

Post by Evilm0nk »

Played through the beta and enjoyed it alot, and I love the shotgun animation!
Looking forward to playing more of it in future releases.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Wooho, i've got a new monitor (and motherboard!)
Spoiler:
1920x1080!

I've also noticed a small bug with the hud at this res
Anybody knows how to fix it? i can't fix it with offsets
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

simple and likable, so i simply like it! but sadly can't help about it except you gotta shrink only one pixel of that black gauge that holds the bar. hope it works.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Gave the first instalment a try. Why is the difficulty so imbalanced? Those plant things do way too much damage when you can't stay out of their attack radius (and especially with them on the tropical level). And this was on the first level. Never mind the OHKO missiles and death chasm in the second level. This should feel like a Mario game, but the insane damage enemies do and lack of health items may turn people away.

And why won't any of my weapons autoaim?!

Also, the roof of the underwater cave in the third level didn't render properly.

EDIT: I've been using Buddha and I can't recall how many times I've been reduced to one hp which would otherwise have killed me. The platforming room in the first castle with the tiny pillars and OHKO rockets forced me to turn on flying. And yeah, that part in Daring Desert where you dive under the sand? It's just plain impossible without god mode or buddha. Why no radsuit?

The first boss was perfect, though.

EDIT 2: Wow, the lack of air control makes Starry Night a really horrible experience. How are you supposed to get all the coins on the big bounce pad without landing into the death pit that's conveniently placed inbetween the cliff and bounce pad itself?

This is a difficult mod, but all for the wrong reasons.

EDIT 3: Welp, I've gotten to a point where I cannot proceed any further. I can only find 7 of the red coins in the sky level, and I just cannot find the 8th anywhere. I can't beat the game. :(

EDIT 4: Found that stupid red coin. They really need to be marked on the automap. But now I have a new problem; I need 15 souls to break the enchantment on the stairs, but I've beaten all available levels and only have 13 souls. I literally cannot complete this game. There's no more levels to do before the endless staircase. Is it glitched?

EDIT 5: Just needed to find some secret exits, the first one was just obscure while the other two were surprisingly easy to reach. Went onto do them and then finally meet and kill the last boss and then complete the final, final levels. Needed to look through GZDoom Builder for two of the red coins for Space Ghost House. That jump maze was just no. I guess I'll try out the sequel beta soon and see if it improves on the precursor.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Beed28 wrote:Gave the first instalment a try. Why is the difficulty so imbalanced? Those plant things do way too much damage when you can't stay out of their attack radius (and especially with them on the tropical level). And this was on the first level. Never mind the OHKO missiles and death chasm in the second level. This should feel like a Mario game, but the insane damage enemies do and lack of health items may turn people away.

And why won't any of my weapons autoaim?!

Also, the roof of the underwater cave in the third level didn't render properly.

EDIT: I've been using Buddha and I can't recall how many times I've been reduced to one hp which would otherwise have killed me. The platforming room in the first castle with the tiny pillars and OHKO rockets forced me to turn on flying. And yeah, that part in Daring Desert where you dive under the sand? It's just plain impossible without god mode or buddha. Why no radsuit?

The first boss was perfect, though.

EDIT 2: Wow, the lack of air control makes Starry Night a really horrible experience. How are you supposed to get all the coins on the big bounce pad without landing into the death pit that's conveniently placed inbetween the cliff and bounce pad itself?

This is a difficult mod, but all for the wrong reasons.

EDIT 3: Welp, I've gotten to a point where I cannot proceed any further. I can only find 7 of the red coins in the sky level, and I just cannot find the 8th anywhere. I can't beat the game. :(

EDIT 4: Found that stupid red coin. They really need to be marked on the automap. But now I have a new problem; I need 15 souls to break the enchantment on the stairs, but I've beaten all available levels and only have 13 souls. I literally cannot complete this game. There's no more levels to do before the endless staircase. Is it glitched?

EDIT 5: Just needed to find some secret exits, the first one was just obscure while the other two were surprisingly easy to reach. Went onto do them and then finally meet and kill the last boss and then complete the final, final levels. Needed to look through GZDoom Builder for two of the red coins for Space Ghost House. That jump maze was just no. I guess I'll try out the sequel beta soon and see if it improves on the precursor.
Uuuh, i guess you're talking about Golden Souls 1, not Golden Souls 2.
It has his flaws, check the sequel after you're done with the first mod,it's way better.
I'll also take some time to polish GS1 later this year while developing GS2
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Beta 0.11 released!

It's finally here! The newest beta! Are you ready to explore the desert area with 5 brand new maps?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/72npd ... ta0.11.pk3

//Changelog
- Desert area completed
-Moving plants have less health
-Gold Pistol unlockable with big coins
-New particle effects on map04
-Big coin indicator on the hud
SamVision

Re: DooM : The Golden Souls 2 [New Beta Out!]

Post by SamVision »

You're such a-
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

Why have all of the imps been replaced by plants?

...Oh, you are the worst kind of person
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

eco-friendly and rose thorn-like aggressive you are, nice one!
Batandy

Re: DooM : The Golden Souls 2

Post by Batandy »

Eheheh ;)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”