Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
zrrion the insect

Re: DooM : The Golden Souls 2 [Beta 0.1 Out!]

Post by zrrion the insect »

Actually moving the player is annoying and can get the player into trouble. Changing the zoom factor for a few tics is fine though. It doesn't move the player and it doesn't make them have to readjust their aim.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Changing the pitch is a bad idea, it is very disorienting especially if it doesn't snap back into place. Using zoomfactor is something I strongly discourage, it sounds fine in theory, but it can actually cause dizziness especially if used with an automatic weapon. And physical recoil is completely out of the question for obvious reasons. I say just fuck recoil with a rusty metal bat.
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

xenoxols wrote:It makes it more fun. It's simple, do I want my gun to feel like a water pistol or what it actually is?
Good sound design > recoil.

Visual feedback would work better than recoil. (gun kicks back, not up, strength of the kick = strength of the shot. Pistols kick back weakly, allowing for faster fire, Magnums/handcannons have a strong kick and take longer to bring back to aim, pump shotguns slightly distort the view when fired, need to be pumped, etc.)

The only weapons that might need kick back for the sake of visual feedback are the big guns, your miniguns, sniper rifles, the stuff that's really, really powerful. Even then, its not really necessary, as it tends to get in the way of the actually important thing gameplay. Jerking the player's view around isn't something really well liked.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

i say, no recoil please. or this mod's difficulty would be more worse than keep falling by our own mistakes what ninja gaiden or castlevania's knockback did.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

I feel the weapons should have pure aesthetic visual and audio feedback, nothing should screw with your aim, it's obvious the player will moving and jumping a lot.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

It would be completely visual. Just A_SetPitch(Pitch-lownumber), and then A_SetPitch(Pitch+samenumber).
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

xenoxols wrote:It would be completely visual. Just A_SetPitch(Pitch-lownumber), and then A_SetPitch(Pitch+samenumber).
This is not the right mod for any kind of recoil as it can be annoying, visual or not. Not every mod needs ultra realistic weapons. But you're free to implement it in a user made mod if you want :)
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

if i have to give a score it may be 8.5/10

1.. the pistol need to be a little more faster, after have the shotgun and rifle never use it again
2.. the shotgun reload animation may look cool but when surrounded by many things you really wish it was faster
3.. the enemies do more damage than normal?
4.. the hell knight throwing hammer was kind off place, feel odd
5.. reduce the ammount of money on maps and maybe add store since most of the time there is never a full amor around
6.. since the world is like super mario world, there will be maps with 2 exits?
7.. there is no secret as secrets, can be posible remove the secrets from the automap and add big coins to know how many are in each level, i end it with 11 dunno if that is the total so far

So far feel very refreshing and dinamic, the music is great and the platform parts are crazy and hell fun ;)
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Is there a way of making the jumping like the Mario games? Where the height of your jump depends on how long you hold down the jump button. Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch does it in some way.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Am I bad at this game, or is it just really fuggin hard? I can't pass the cave level.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Yeah the cave level can be brutal if you are not careful.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Mav3rick wrote:if i have to give a score it may be 8.5/10

1.. the pistol need to be a little more faster, after have the shotgun and rifle never use it again
2.. the shotgun reload animation may look cool but when surrounded by many things you really wish it was faster
3.. the enemies do more damage than normal?
4.. the hell knight throwing hammer was kind off place, feel odd
5.. reduce the ammount of money on maps and maybe add store since most of the time there is never a full amor around
6.. since the world is like super mario world, there will be maps with 2 exits?
7.. there is no secret as secrets, can be posible remove the secrets from the automap and add big coins to know how many are in each level, i end it with 11 dunno if that is the total so far

So far feel very refreshing and dinamic, the music is great and the platform parts are crazy and hell fun ;)
1) The pistol can actually be a good backup weapon if you don't want to waste ammo, it can kill a big plant with only a mag. (Also there may be weapon upgrades in the future that you can unlock with big coins, we'll see)
2) It's actually faster than the Over and Under from GS1, and also there will probably be a higher capacity shotty in the sequel too, so having it reload too fast would make any upgrade useless.
3) They don't
4) It uses placeholder sprites, Scripten is working on a new set of sprites to make it different from the normal hellknight
5)There already is a store on the map, it's at the starting point
6) there will be!
7) Yeah i'd love to do that, stay tuned! :P
ravage

Post by ravage »

It would be nice if either you could collect more than 999 coins, or have a separate score system. I'm collecting coins even after I've hit the max, because I don't need to buy anything.

Also that hanging coin in the cave level is extremely annoying to collect. Too fast and you jump over it. Too slow and you collect it, but miss the ledge.

Otherwise this is absolutely awesome and can't wait to see more!
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

ravage wrote: Also that hanging coin in the cave level is extremely annoying to collect. Too fast and you jump over it. Too slow and you collect it, but miss the ledge
Funny. I was going to make a remark regarding that damn coin too. It feels like those poles you jump on could be just a little thicker to help compensate for the sliding momentum of Doomguy

Also I like the new pistol's damage output compared to the old revolver. Though it sounds a little lackluster.

The new shotgun is great though, the sprites, sounds, and animations are all really good. Though it feels like the primary fire is really sensitive and it's easy to wind up shooting both barrels back to back nearly instantly

I'm sure you got something planned for the fist so I'll wait on that. I love the level design and music choices, and I'm stoked to see more
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

You could give the pistol GS1's revolver sound or maybe merge the pistol and revolver sound. I really liked the revolver in GS1.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”