Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ravage

Re: DooM : The Golden Souls 2 [Beta 0.1 Out!]

Post by ravage »

Combine_Kegan wrote:
ravage wrote: Also that hanging coin in the cave level is extremely annoying to collect. Too fast and you jump over it. Too slow and you collect it, but miss the ledge
Funny. I was going to make a remark regarding that damn coin too. It feels like those poles you jump on could be just a little thicker to help compensate for the sliding momentum of Doomguy
I'm okay with the thickness of the poles. Just the coin should be raised higher so that when you jump for the ledge you can grab it.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:You could give the pistol GS1's revolver sound or maybe merge the pistol and revolver sound. I really liked the revolver in GS1.
or even better, search some good sounds from other modern games or sound hosting sound, and i bet fpsbanana and freesound.org is good place to search them. well, those guns needs to be feel different, you know.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Batandy wrote: 1) The pistol can actually be a good backup weapon if you don't want to waste ammo, it can kill a big plant with only a mag. (Also there may be weapon upgrades in the future that you can unlock with big coins, we'll see)
2) It's actually faster than the Over and Under from GS1, and also there will probably be a higher capacity shotty in the sequel too, so having it reload too fast would make any upgrade useless.
3) They don't
4) It uses placeholder sprites, Scripten is working on a new set of sprites to make it different from the normal hellknight
5)There already is a store on the map, it's at the starting point
6) there will be!
7) Yeah i'd love to do that, stay tuned! :P
1. cool idea :D
2. oh ok :P
4. well take your time ;)
5. no, i mean inside the levels, since there is no armor pick up not even a full armor, i know the store in the map but im talking inside every level :)
7. will do, just let me know by what channel and time to see :P
mamaluigisbagel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mamaluigisbagel »

this was really fun to try, although I only did 3 maps of GS1. Every bit of it is great so far! Love the world map (which took me a while to figure out it was a world map :P )

I wish that the Soft Permadeath mod worked with it though, because having lives fits the feel more. It works with the first one, but thats because its on separate maps rather than the same map. Not saying you should add it or compatibility though.
ReedtheStrange

Post by ReedtheStrange »

You should give it some wacky weapons.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Ahh, like what rainbow gun did! We should add some gun even more wackier than that, through!
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

The plasma rifle replacement should be one of those moving plants and shoots fireballs, powered by raw meat as ammo.

I dunno...
Clownman

Post by Clownman »

The SMW door sound is kinda low-quality in this I noticed.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c621r ... +sound.zip

Here's a more HD-ified one for you.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

or even better, themushroomkingdom.net has plentiful sound effects from super mario series. with clean 'n clear quality.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Testing out the pistol upgrade, it should be possible to unlock it after obtaining 15 big coins, it has a way faster fire rate than the normal version, pretty useful.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Is there any incentive to go back and replay levels besides collecting uncollected coins?
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

SamVision wrote:Is there any incentive to go back and replay levels besides collecting uncollected coins?
Yes, some secret exits might require a skull key that you don't have yet when you finish the level for the first time. There will be an area of the game that will rely a lot on secret exits.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

After playing through the demo/early beta thing, I can safely say I'm stoked as hell for future development on this. The new weapons are all quite useful, and combat has a far better flow, my only remark I can make is maybe something different for the fist.
Spoiler:
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

I just remembered something that would be neat to try and replicate from the 2D Mario games in GS2. As many people may remember, there were checkpoints in some (maybe all? I can't remember) levels of Super Mario World 2 (correct me if I'm wrong about that) that were activated by running through the tape.

They also gave Mario an immediate Mushroom upgrade if he didn't have one (aka if he was tiny).

This should be relatively simple to do, I believe, yes (using a Soulsphere changed to look like a ribbon and an Autosave walkover Linedef)? Just throwing my 2 cents out there.
Flynn Taggart

Post by Flynn Taggart »

I'm really looking forward to this and loving it MUCH more than the first golden souls so far. I hope to see a lot of different level types like the first one if not a bit more, I sorta worry that standard world templates like Grass world, Desert World, Snow world, etc. will stifle the variety in level types (but looking at the current demo, hopefully this won't be the case).

Something to make it feel more like SMW is if you start up a new game you could have a cutscene with a short story like this:

And just a side thought. It would be funny to see cutscenes after each castle of doomguy destroying it in a hilarious fashion like SMW. Of course that would probably be difficult to pull off.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”