Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
comet1337

Re: (BETA) Ashes TC - Zdoom friendly, 700CC and Solar Powere

Post by comet1337 »

i can say precisely one thing about this:
i like it
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

okay, i've played them together so far. and i say you did a great job for improving! but still my gripes still grumbles;

- alternative knife attack for crowbar seems unnecessarily useless than primary attack, speed is much same and damage is way off. hope you can make it at least useful, or replace it into another movement.

- grenade launcher doesn't release it's casing when reloading, can you add it like the other ballistic weapon does?

- assault rifle reloads without pulling the bolt, even when it's out of bullets. weird to think of because it does looks like m4, intentional?

- some breakable props plays flesh hit sounds when they are hit.

- every casings doesn't play the bouncing sounds and weapon pickup uses low-quality quake 1 sound still.

- armor series are seems small for human based characters, don't you think?

- i think you forgot the one line "Slaaaaash Hiiim!" for cannibals, but ow well, since they've got plenty of sounds that doesn't matter anyway.

- can you make the fire extinguisher explode like the other breakable props? with white cryo explosion, of course!

- although it's kind of recommendation, i hope you can make those enemies plays thud sounds when they dies and lies to the ground. because you know, physical satisfaction.

this is it, good luck, it gets good so far!
Big C

Post by Big C »

I'll have more feedback later, but this is REALLY coming together!
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Glad you guys liked it. NOt sure about the first level (i.e. fire sale). Was it fun to play? I didn't want something too big for first map, but did I overdo it on detail? Also, it's missing two secrets, but I wanted to save those as they will be the most devious and interesting. Feedback, people! Textures, sounds, music, gameplay. Even if you thought it was Hundescheiße!

With regards to gripes:
Spoiler:
I probably shouldn't upload stuff while I'm drunk. The lack of polish is evident. Oh well. Stay tuned I will try and add a new weapons preview with some changes. Unless you want a surprise when the mod is finished. I'll probably be going away in a few days, but will post an update when I get back. I will be adding a mod progress indicator and some art and other stuff.

Toodles!
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Vostyok wrote:Glad you guys liked it. NOt sure about the first level (i.e. fire sale). Was it fun to play? I didn't want something too big for first map, but did I overdo it on detail? Also, it's missing two secrets, but I wanted to save those as they will be the most devious and interesting. Feedback, people! Textures, sounds, music, gameplay. Even if you thought it was Hundescheiße!

With regards to gripes:
Spoiler:
I probably shouldn't upload stuff while I'm drunk. The lack of polish is evident. Oh well. Stay tuned I will try and add a new weapons preview with some changes. Unless you want a surprise when the mod is finished. I'll probably be going away in a few days, but will post an update when I get back. I will be adding a mod progress indicator and some art and other stuff.

Toodles!
Oh boy, played the Tutorial Level. i love the Chopper part!
btw, will you implement driving while shooting, just like in Terminator 2?
(but you can only use 1 weapon?)
FreddBoy
Location: Wales. You know, where the men are men, and the sheep are scared.

Post by FreddBoy »

Well, this is certainly shaping up to be a fantastic TC, the setting, music, sprites, all sublime! However, I have a few suggestions on what could be added/improved:

1. A proper secondary attack for the crowbar instead of a slash from the boot knife. Since the crowbar attacks quite quickly, perhaps adding a slower over the head "smash" style attack that stops you moving but gives you 3-4 times the damage if it hits. Also, because you are not moving while doing this, it's useful against single enemies and not groups, and to stop it being a cheap spam attack.
2. If it's not in already, binding the solar lantern to a key will be an useful addition, instead of selecting it like a weapon. In hectic firefights, having an extra "weapon" to have to scroll past might be fatal. Also, making it toggable so one press equips it and the second press brings back the last gun you used might be something to look into.
3. Just an observation, why has the solar torch in the training level have a max charge of 99 but the fire sale torch have a 60 max ammo count?
4. Perhaps making the revolver fully semi auto with apoaling spread if rapid fired might be a better option than limiting the fire rate. Single shots are still accurate, but getting rushed in CQB by cannibals means the fire rate makes it flat out worse than the crowbar. Is this an intentional balance parameter?
5. Lastly, health feels just a tad too tight while the ammo feels a little too generous. Perhaps a little tweak would help out, especially since unless you get the secret med kit in the apartment, there's no health at all until the demo levels end.

Just my little 2 pence on the TC.
Gez

Post by Gez »

That's a pretty cool TC. :)

One comment, though. Looking at the scripts I see stuff like this:

Code: Select all

script 4 ENTER 
{
   if (CheckInventory("Radcount") > 1)
   {
      TakeInventory("Radcount", 1);
   }   
   delay (32);
   restart;
}
script 5 ENTER 
{
   if (CheckInventory("Radcount") > 21 && CheckInventory("Radcount") < 42)
   {
      Thing_Damage(0,2,MOD_SLIME);
   }   
   delay (32);
   restart;
}
script 6 ENTER 
{
   if (CheckInventory("Radcount") > 41)
   {
      Thing_Damage(0,4,MOD_SLIME);
   }   
   delay (32);
   restart;
}
And you'd get the same result with a single script like this:

Code: Select all

script 4 ENTER 
{
   if (CheckInventory("Radcount") > 1)
   {
 	  if (CheckInventory("Radcount") > 41)
 	  {
          Thing_Damage(0,4,MOD_SLIME);
 	  }
 	  else if (CheckInventory("Radcount") > 21
 	  {
          Thing_Damage(0,2,MOD_SLIME);
 	  }
      TakeInventory("Radcount", 1);
   }   
   delay (32);
   restart;
}
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Yeah, crowbar needs a new attack instead of bootknife.
Having the lantern as a akimbo option has been mentioned, but I am not sure how I could implement it.
I tested guns being usable with the bike, but it is a pain without mouselook and feels wrong. Nothing to say I can't put guns ON the bike, later . Hehe.
Revolver will get an upgrade for this so don't worry.
Yeah all the code needs cleaning up.
Thanks for the script, Gez. I will try that out when I get back.

Well, that's all for now. See you in a month!
TheUnbeholden

Post by TheUnbeholden »

Captain J wrote:okay, i've played them together so far. and i say you did a great job for improving! but still my gripes still grumbles;

- alternative knife attack for crowbar seems unnecessarily useless than primary attack, speed is much same and damage is way off. hope you can make it at least useful, or replace it into another movement.

Yeah if you can make the knife slash faster to!

Captain J wrote: - although it's kind of recommendation, i hope you can make those enemies plays thud sounds when they dies and lies to the ground. because you know, physical satisfaction.

this is it, good luck, it gets good so far!
There should be many different sound sets for cannibals I think, with some null sounds so that they don't repeat themselves to much. Basically alot more sounds and randomization among cannibal types (like some that move faster, alot that use their fists rather than weapons, some that throw grenades occasionally, some that wield pistols or machine guns, some that crawl around and try and avoid you etc. Those dog things should move a tad faster to.
FreddBoy wrote:Well, this is certainly shaping up to be a fantastic TC, the setting, music, sprites, all sublime! However, I have a few suggestions on what could be added/improved:

2. If it's not in already, binding the solar lantern to a key will be an useful addition, instead of selecting it like a weapon. In hectic firefights, having an extra "weapon" to have to scroll past might be fatal. Also, making it toggable so one press equips it and the second press brings back the last gun you used might be something to look into.
Agreed!
FreddBoy wrote:4. Perhaps making the revolver fully semi auto with apoaling spread if rapid fired might be a better option than limiting the fire rate. Single shots are still accurate, but getting rushed in CQB by cannibals means the fire rate makes it flat out worse than the crowbar. Is this an intentional balance parameter?
I think perhaps the revolver could use a cowboy style fanning technique for its alternate so its got a faster speed at the expense of accuracy.

Also about shells/bullets pickups, I think you should find a random amount of between 1 to 4 shells for a scattered shells, and anywhere between 1 to 6 for spare bullets (with perhaps a slightly higher chance of getting 1 or 2 than getting 3 or 4 for shells and slightly higher chance of getting 1, 2, 3 than 4, 5, 6 for bullets etc). That would make more sense to me than to be getting so much ammo since you are scavenging. Basically it should feel like a wasteland and not bulletland.
Last edited by TheUnbeholden on Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Being a sucker for all things post-apocalyptic, and the fact that this idea hasn't really been implemented in Doom before I am certainly intrigued. I'll be keeping an eye on the progress of this.

Side note, I can recommend the movie American Cyborg Steel Warrior. A rather obscure post-apocalyptic B-movie that was made in the wake of the success of T2. It features the staples of the genre (infertility, destroyed cities, cannibals, "colorful" clothing, etc.) and has some really outstanding choreographed fight scenes and pretty darn good effects and a good score. It is very obscure and finding a copy is a bit hard, I found mine after about two years searching. More people should know about this movie, especially fans of that genre.
Vostyok

Re: (BETA) Ashes TC - Newest update Pg29 - on hiatus while A

Post by Vostyok »

Some cool things to think about guys. I will give you a full run down as well as some more design brief details when I return in november.

As before, if anyone would like to help with the project - maps, sprites, weapon ideas, even custom graphics or (especially) doom palleted skies (running out of appropriate ones!) feel free to drop anything here and I will look at it when I get back from my little trip in early November.

Auf wiedersehen!
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Some comments/critique I have

If a nuclear holocaust is meant to be the cause of it all, the game world just didn't seem "broken" enough to me. Everything just seemed a little too clean, should be more rubble, debris, destroyed buildings etc. I found the music to be fine but a somber, low-key, almost depressing score would complement the visual theme very well. I would look to Goth, Post-Punk and experimental music for inspiration and ideas. Also, not a fan of voice work in this setting. I think a silent protagonist would be more fitting given the backdrop.

These are of course personal opinions, you may do with it as you will.
Big C

Post by Big C »

CeeJay wrote:Some comments/critique I have

If a nuclear holocaust is meant to be the cause of it all, the game world just didn't seem "broken" enough to me. Everything just seemed a little too clean, should be more rubble, debris, destroyed buildings etc. I found the music to be fine but a somber, low-key, almost depressing score would complement the visual theme very well. I would look to Goth, Post-Punk and experimental music for inspiration and ideas. Also, not a fan of voice work in this setting. I think a silent protagonist would be more fitting given the backdrop.

These are of course personal opinions, you may do with it as you will.
This mod takes more cues from Mad Max than STALKER, though. Making it bleaker and taking away the Wild-West-meets-80s-punk aesthetic would make it something way different.

Your suggestions are good, I'm just not sure if you're quite grokking what Vost's going for here.
Vostyok

Post by Vostyok »

Back to business!

Okay, so some of you may have noticed I have actually been back for a week or so, as I've been posting on some of the other threads. Rest assured, this project is not dead. I've just been spammed with crap from work, so I haven't had much chance to work on things apart from a general planning of what I need to do next.

Working on the next map now, giving it a fleshing out and adding some gameplay progression. Here's a work in progress screenshot:
Spoiler:
As you can see, this is a night level, so I've been experimenting with some new color combinations. As well as this dam, there is a small hospital, church and a ruined housing area and car park to explore. It starts out dark, but there is a way to 'shed some light on the subject', hehe. I'll also be posting a WIP sprite of a new weapon at some point, as well as a sort-of progress meter so you can track the mod's release status.

Anyway, it's good to be working again. More soon.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

Vostyok wrote:Back to business!

Okay, so some of you may have noticed I have actually been back for a week or so, as I've been posting on some of the other threads. Rest assured, this project is not dead. I've just been spammed with crap from work, so I haven't had much chance to work on things apart from a general planning of what I need to do next.

Working on the next map now, giving it a fleshing out and adding some gameplay progression. Here's a work in progress screenshot:
Spoiler:
As you can see, this is a night level, so I've been experimenting with some new color combinations. As well as this dam, there is a small hospital, church and a ruined housing area and car park to explore. It starts out dark, but there is a way to 'shed some light on the subject', hehe. I'll also be posting a WIP sprite of a new weapon at some point, as well as a sort-of progress meter so you can track the mod's release status.

Anyway, it's good to be working again. More soon.
PRAISE THE POST-APOCALYPTIC RETURN OF VOSTYOK!
nice map btw.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”