[Realm667 Contest] Doomjá-vu - Poll expanded to 15th of May

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

[Realm667 Contest] Doomjá-vu - Poll expanded to 15th of May

Post by Tormentor667 »

Years ago Newdoom.com held a "Map in a week" contest. People had one week to build a complete map from scratch. To ensure that every contestant actually started when the contest began, Newdoom.com provided a base map with a few rooms which had to be part of the final map. Now, what about doing a whole project with several small maps that are based on the same layout but all of them looking totally different as every single map is finished by a different author?

The contest will run from January 15th till March 31st so you have about 2,5 months to plan, create and submit your entry which should be fairly enough for a good and solid map.

The map layout can be downloaded from this Dropbox link (important, updated on January 17th, please redownload). It's a ZIP file containing three wads, which is always the same layout but saved in different editing formats (UDMF-, Hexen- and Doomformat)

We set up a certain amount of important rules. These will ensure that the results can be compared to each other and that everyone has the same chances of winning. The list is not a set of guides but it's actually the law to take part here. Submissions breaking the rules won't be consideded. If you aren't clear about some points, feel free to ask us. Other than that, here we go:
  • You may change any sector/line property (height, light, boundaries, shape, vertice position, linedef length/split, map size)²
  • You may cut about 30% of the provided layout of necessary
  • You may add custom textures/flats
  • You may add custom actors (props, monsters, weapons)³
  • You may add custom sounds (ambience, sequences)
  • You may add custom music (midi, ogg)
  • You may add custom graphics (w/o overwriting original ones)
  • You may add additional rooms/space to your map's layout
  • You may add scripts to your map (acs, dialogue)
  • Your map must be vanilla-, boom-, zdoom- or gzdoom-compatible
  • Your map must work with DOOM2.WAD (but it doesn't have to be only Doom-styled)
²as long as the (auto)map layout roughly stays close to the original base
³don't go overboard, we don't need another Brutal Doom

To raise the interest and motivation to participate in this project, we didn't spare any effort and prepared some awesomely amazing prizes for the 5 winners, but take a look at them on your own:
  • 1st place - Spikey, the plush imp (it's unique!)
  • 2nd place - An amazing canvas print² of the Doom 2 box art plus an awesome² Doom poster (signed by id software)
  • 3rd place - An amazing canvas print of the Doom 2 box art
  • 4th place - An awesome Doom poster (signed with id software members)
  • 5th place - An awesome Doom poster (signed with id software members)
²both the poster and the canvas print will be created in a high resolution and quality in a large printing manufactur in Germany for best quality

Any submission must be posted to the Realm667 contest forum which can be found here. There is no need to sign up to this contest, it's enough to submit the results. You can upload them to any host or attach them to your post, anything is possible as long as we are able to download the submission and it's posted before the end of the day on March 15th (we will take your timezone into account, don't worry).

Esselfortium already put it into a nutshell some years ago when the idea was developed the first time:
"I'm pretty sure the point is for each person to make something creative and interesting out of the layout, not for Torm to ask a bunch of people to detail the same map 10 times in slightly different ways."
Out of all submissions, the Realm667 stuff will choose a Top 5. We will not only consider the level of detail put into the layout but also the level of creativity involved by staying to the set of rules we've prepared. After the Top 5 has been chosen, the community decides, which one's the winner through a public poll that everyone can participate.

We are looking forward to your submissions,
Cheers, good luck and best regards,
Tormentor667 and the Realm667 Team
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Fri May 08, 2015 6:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
Diabolic Lord

Re: [Realm667 Contest] Doomjá-vu - It's never the same!

Post by Diabolic Lord »

To me, the prize is not interesting, i think i will participate. :)

A question:
¿I can working with ".PK3" format?
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Hmmm, something about this map layout looks familiar...
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Would it be okay to make a map as an entry, and also include it in my own personal megawad that I am currently making? Probably a stupid question since the map is of course mine, well the rest of it anyway. It would be cool to possibly get rewarded for my spare time project.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

this contest will be a fun watching, also playing when it's all done! bookmarked!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Diabolic Lord - Sure, pk3 is just fine.

@Sgt. Shivers - Most propably ;)

@Nevander - Sure, thats no problem, it's your map anyway.

@Captain J - Hopefully it will be also fun mapping for :)
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

The rules don't say anything about a new PLAYPAL, is that allowed?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

As the final maps are going to be compiled to one big megawad, a New Paypal would not work well, so in this case No :-/
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

By the way, here are photos of some of the prizes
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

I WANT IT.

I've been needing to get into mapping for a while - all my projects need them at some point anyway. Also, my room's pretty bare - Doom decorations would go a long way in that regard...
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Should the map be multiplayer compatible?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Should the map be multiplayer compatible?
Not needed, it's aimed for single player.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

It's actually a lot easier to map when layout inspiration is given to you; even if it's 'just' an early E1M7, it takes very little to make it look vastly different.

I'm going for an E1M3 vibe personally, though I'll have ZDCMP2 textures and a monster or two thrown in along with 3D floors and scrolling slime sectors for good measure! Plus a nice, magical Heretic Easter egg....
agaures

Post by agaures »

zrrion the insect wrote:The rules don't say anything about a new PLAYPAL, is that allowed?
If you can make a GZDoom map i would assume you can have true colour graphics so there would be no need for a custom PLAYPAL.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Shades - Sounds like a plan :)

@Agaures - Exactly.

Return to “Levels”