Your Name: Lieutenant John Doom. Your Mission:

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jawsh

Re: BDJ - well I'll be damned, it works with Zand

Post by Jawsh »

I may have encountered a small problem on my end, beforehand let me just go ahead and say this:

BDJ20 is so much more better than the current v20 of Brutal Doom. Like holy shit, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was but damn, it's gone past my expectations. Though that could be because v20 of Brutal Doom was just a straight up disappointment. BUT I AIN'T LOOKING TO START SHIT, I'M JUST HERE TO ADDRESS MY SMALL PROBLEM.

For whatever reason, the health bar in the hud, the one for enemies that's supposed to appear when you target/attack them is not showing up whatsoever. I've gone into hud options, toggled the enemy health bar on by putting it to "top" and there's no health bar there. I've stretched the resolution past 640 x 480, nothing, and I checked the alternative hud and scaled via display options and still nothing. Could it be my mod order loaded in? I'm not running any other huds barring the one that's included in BDJ v20.

Any ways to see the enemy health bar? It's not so necessary, I just want to kind of see it in action.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

Are you using the latest version of (g)zdoom? It won't work with Zandronum yet, even the beta 3.0 build.
Jawsh

Post by Jawsh »

jpalomo wrote:Are you using the latest version of (g)zdoom? It won't work with Zandronum yet, even the beta 3.0 build.
Seems something of that sort did the trick, I kind of figured I may have needed to do that. I updated my ZDL & GZdoom, freshened up my entire Doom folder and that seemed to do the trick nicely.

Cheers!
robocop

Post by robocop »

Hey, J. I had a couple of ideas I don't know how to implement yet, but I thought I'd share them in case you find time before I do.
Right now, doing a fatality on an imp is not worth it. Especially on hard maps. Imps are, for me, the most difficult of the basic monsters to fight in melee combat. They are much faster and trickier than the demons, who are pretty easy. Zombies are also easy. But killing and imp only gives ammo, something I have plenty of. I would suggest that imps and demons both give health and armor, maybe less than the demon currently gives, and the zombies give ammo for whatever weapon they use, plus perhaps a very small amount of health or armor.

This in conjunction with making fatalities more likely on high tier enemies would, IMHO, make fatalities a more balanced mechanic.

Thoughts?
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

robocop wrote:Hey, J. I had a couple of ideas I don't know how to implement yet, but I thought I'd share them in case you find time before I do.
Right now, doing a fatality on an imp is not worth it. Especially on hard maps. Imps are, for me, the most difficult of the basic monsters to fight in melee combat. They are much faster and trickier than the demons, who are pretty easy. Zombies are also easy. But killing and imp only gives ammo, something I have plenty of. I would suggest that imps and demons both give health and armor, maybe less than the demon currently gives, and the zombies give ammo for whatever weapon they use, plus perhaps a very small amount of health or armor.

This in conjunction with making fatalities more likely on high tier enemies would, IMHO, make fatalities a more balanced mechanic.

Thoughts?
Absolutely for it. Let's hope Johnny feels the same.
robocop

Post by robocop »

Glad I'm not crazy for having trouble with imps. That fucking leap attack disorients me, and I want a reward for taking one down in style. But now when I see a hoard of demons rushing me, I just smile, because I know I'm coming out of it with over 300 health. It feels wrong.

Roughly, this is my idea.

Soldiers: 20 bullets 5 health
Sargents: 10 shells 10 armor
Demons: 10 health 10 armor
Imps: 20 health
Chaingunners: 40 bullets 10 health

I don't know about the other monsters, because I rarely melee anything very dangerous, since I probably won't even be rewarded for it. I did a fatality on one of the big guys once, and I remember being disappointed. I think I got 70 armor from a baron maybe? Since there are hoards of weak enemies on most maps, I agree with their fatalities being randomized and only moderately awarded, but I suggest that a melee finish on a baron or a archvile *pukes* should always yield results. And that the probability be very high for other enemies who are dangerous up close like revenants and Cacos *shivers*. I suggest that to maintain balance the probability be slightly reduced for the little guys listed above.

However J feels, I am looking forward to his reply. He is clearly a man of refined tastes.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

With project brutality being out now, and blowing vanilla v20 out of the water, i wonder if people will move to modding that.. I personally can't go back, not with the gun and monster variety. I think it took the best elements of several submods and made many things nicer, but obviously still has room for improvement.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

I personally dislike Project Brutallity as I think it goes way overboard on trying to be different, the monster variety is ok, but I dislike the clusterfuck of random weapons that appear to have been thought up in 5 mins, and then dropped in without a second thought. I still believe Johnny's is the best version.

I do however, LOVE the automatic taunt system in place in Project Brutality. That should be a standard BD feature across all versions imo.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

AndehX wrote:I personally dislike Project Brutallity as I think it goes way overboard on trying to be different, the monster variety is ok, but I dislike the clusterfuck of random weapons that appear to have been thought up in 5 mins, and then dropped in without a second thought. I still believe Johnny's is the best version.

I do however, LOVE the automatic taunt system in place in Project Brutality. That should be a standard BD feature across all versions imo.
BDJ and Project Brutality are my favorite versions. Plus, in case you didn't know, you can set it to where only weapons that are similar to those found in stock BD can spawn (rifle, shotty, SSG, rocket launcher, plasgun, BFG, chainsaw, etc. etc.).

I wonder what Johnny has been up to with the next version. Between his job and this, he must work a lot.
saegiru

Post by saegiru »

Devianteist wrote:
AndehX wrote:I personally dislike Project Brutallity as I think it goes way overboard on trying to be different, the monster variety is ok, but I dislike the clusterfuck of random weapons that appear to have been thought up in 5 mins, and then dropped in without a second thought. I still believe Johnny's is the best version.

BDJ and Project Brutality are my favorite versions. Plus, in case you didn't know, you can set it to where only weapons that are similar to those found in stock BD can spawn (rifle, shotty, SSG, rocket launcher, plasgun, BFG, chainsaw, etc. etc.).

I wonder what Johnny has been up to with the next version. Between his job and this, he must work a lot.
I agree, I rotate BDJ and PB pretty much exclusively, although I do like the weaponry in PB, and he definitely didn't do any of it in 5 minutes. He's been working on it for over a year at this point... and he's very thorough. PB is also going to have a new additional "Restricted" mode soon that will only allow you to pick up one of each type of weapon at a time, and weapon pickups will be manual. You will have to push use to pickup the weapons. This is assuming he can get the code for all that working anyway. It will pair very nicely with my Hardcore difficulty with UDV.
AndehX

Post by AndehX »

Yeah the classic BD mode in Project Brutality is cool. I definitely prefer that over standard PB. The best feature by far though is the automatic doomguy taunts lol. I'd love to have the feature in BDJ :P
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

For those of you using my mod, heres a hotfix for the FIRE frame bug

http://www.filedropper.com/decorate

just open the archive, drop in decorate, ovewrite. done. enjoy :)
johnny

Post by johnny »

AndehX - The more I think about it, the more I realize it's not gonna happen. I could say I'll make a mutator, but I just won't end up doing it. I have trouble finding enough motivation to even work on the main mod, I know for sure I'll especially never find the time to work on something I don't wanna do. Taunts are just not awesome. Flipping things off is for 14 year olds trying to look hard in their myspace profile pics. The only thing I'd be willing to implement (mainly because it'd be really easy) is a button that only works in multiplayer that plays one of the movie quote sounds from the ally marine. I'd probably give it a 2 minute cooldown before you could use it again too.

Big C - I really have no idea. At this point I'd just delete all the footstep wavs and hope that works.

A Random User - I'm assuming you're using zandronum--you need to turn message scaling off. It's a zandronum bug (which the 3.0 test is full of), they aren't supposed to be that big. Use gzdoom! Currently BDJ works ("won't crash" is probably a better way to say it) in zandronum by accident. It is meant for gzdoom.

Echelon5 - Done deal! I've already got it done in what I'm working on now.

Grigori - Huh, I thought those 2d splats were supposed to be there. I wanna keep qtilt in and I don't know how I'd make it optional, so I'll just tell you how to remove it. It's super easy. Open up slade, find the LOADACS lump, backspace over the word "strafetilting". Done and done!

saegiru - I did! but then I stopped :( I couldn't find any good enough sprites and I just kinda put it off like a million other things. I actually am closing the doors on mutator requests as of today so I can focus on keeping the promises I made you, ghost, devianteist, artvandelay, annnnnd probably a few other people that I'm forgetting and will have to go back through the thread to remember.

Infirnex - This is what I needed to hear. I like the pistol and I don't think fists are necessary so I'm gonna keep things that way. Also, I know the exploding roar is silly, but what's wrong with silly? This mod does not take itself seriously in the slightest, I mean did you see the titlescreen?? Haha I think the roar is fucking awesome and is the very definition of "berserk."

Silentdarkness12 - I'm reaaaaally thinking hard about the pistol/revolver thing. I wish some centered revolver sprites existed that were as amazing as doomnukem's sideview one, but a revolver from above/the back just looks kinda dumb. Magnums are my favorite guns of all time.

josko_91 - Yeah, I took the other marines out because they were messed up/not totally done in the test version I took them from. The next version will have all of them, that was just a temporary thing. Also, no dual wielding anything. That and no taunts are my rules. Pistol is also staying the same, because something needs to exist for when you run out of ammo. The pistols fucking sucks, I don't know what you're talking about. It's OP because you made it OP.

robocop - That is indeed how fatalities work. For the next version I'm cranking the weak enemies' fatality chance down a lot more. I think in the current version the lowest it goes is 50% for weak ones and 90% for strong ones. I'm still finding the sweet spot. Also, the tied up marines are going the way of the dodo in the next version. Blurspheres will be back, and the only way to get marine friends is through the radio. They'll be slower, have a little less health, won't be able to basically walk through walls like they can now, and you can only have one at a time. Also, they won't follow you to the next level. Also ALSO, the radio will only have 3 calls instead of 5. Your ideas on fatalities are good ones. I could never really decide what to do with the imp fatality rewards, I know a clip of rifle/shotgun ammo is kind of lame but I was kinda out of ideas. That imp jump attack is really fucking annoying actually, and I don't like how it lets them jump down from tall ledges. Should I remove that attack altogether? I think I want to. I also need to cut down on the ammo available everywhere. I've already done this once before but it still wasn't enough, I'm always running around with full or near full ammo and that isn't fun. I have gone all over the place in the past with the fatality rewards and still haven't got the right happy medium going. Thinking back on it, at some point I had all fatality rates +60% and the rewards were kind of meh. Then I cranked the rate down to 40ish for the weaker guys and made the big baddies completely max out a specific ammo type when you fatalitied them, but this was too much and people complained. Then I moved the rate down for the big guys a little more, then for this most recent version I gimped the rewards quite a bit without moving the rate back up. I'm rethinking all of this as I redo the whole system for the full v20 and I wanna get them as right as can be. I think I'm gonna consult you via PM for potential changes in the future, if you wouldn't mind?

Ghost - I'm sorry man, I know I've been slacking on my old promises made. I'm not taking any more mutator requests for the time being so I can make good on the stuff I promised you and a few others.

Hitmanx - bayba, I I I CAN'T WAIT

Jawsh - Thanks for the kind words man! Glad you got it figured out. Jpalomo knows, he's the guy who originally coded the thing.

mumblemumble - Yep, project bruality's pretty cool. The amount of customization you can do just through the options menu is fucking nuts.

Work is coming along well! Carbine Dioxide is helping me out with some sprites (he's got the doomnukem style down so well you wouldn't believe it, look at his stuff in spriting carnival/the DN resource thread) so that's awesome. BE EXCITED! I know I am.
Big C

Post by Big C »

Hi again, johnny! Also, do you mean the footstep waves in BDJ or KDIZD-J, and what are the filenames? Because I'm not readily spotting anything labelled FOOTSTEPS DOT WAV or anything like that.

I am so, SO sorry for being so dumb figuring out the guts of your mod over small stuff like this. :lol: I'm learning, though, I swear! I just have no initial idea what to look for, although I DID figure out how to change the zombieman's drops from the spent magazine to the ally Marine rifle pickup on my own!

EDIT: Correction, I now know what the sounds in question ARE, I just don't know which folder (or folders) they're kept in.
user5124

Post by user5124 »

You guys mentioned project brutality. The presentation, sound, spritework, effects of weapon impacts, customisability and sheer effort that went into the creation were fantastic. It's an incredible accomplishment but I still can't rate it as close to BDJ for playability and fun :D . Johnny makes the right calls in too many areas. :wub:

I couldn't get past:

- Dual wielding feels awkward, prefer single click weapons with a special alt fire
- Many of the weapons and alt fires felt redundant and not different enough from each other
- The sheer number of guns on each #, each featuring dual fire modes AND alt fire modes meant swapping between and using the arsenal felt mechanically demanding (constantly pressing lots of different buttons) but less immediate and slow in the engine (weapon swap delay) which hurt the pace of gameplay
- I also wondered about the tediousness of the imp movement. It's atmospheric but adjusting for their instant rolls felt a bit like work? I can't decide whether it's better for gameplay (?)

The key thing it has that I think BD mods in general could benefit from is the random enemy spawn system and the option for it in PB. I can't let go of complex doom because of just that - random enemies add such a range of diversity. Sometimes you're facing a cyberdemon. Next time it might be a flying super cyberdemon with an entirely new sprite - it's a surprise and you're in for a big challenge. You get the same sort of deal even for regular zombiemen and everything inbetween. That randomness adds huge amounts of replayability and a layer of difficulty that's more exciting than just upping the health, armor, damage of existing enemies.

The problem there is doing all the spritework to enable them to die "brutally". What a big job! :shock:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”