[WIP] Her/Hex Remix *added experimental spellbook,dualwield!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hornetzero

Re: [WIP] Her/Hex Remix *added experimental spellbook,dualwi

Post by Hornetzero »

I have updated my drivers (Nvidea Geforce) and pretty sure got the latest opengl ones as well, but this problem still persists. Not only can I not play this mod on the gzdoom application, but any wad for that matter.

Can some mod please reference this all to the GZdoom staff? I know I can make a post about this in the bugs section, but the problem isn't just about getting the latest gzdoom build to work, but also to get this mod working.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

You should repost in Bugs.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Just wanted to drop in to say how fantastic this mod is. Understanding that it's a WIP, I expect even more fantastic things to come. :)

I love the dual-wielding mechanic of the fighter. I can only hope that dual-wielding combo attacks might be implemented in the future. The mage's spellbook is also a really nifty addition, although I only wish the pages would suddenly flip with a crisp, papery sound. I imagine different images and animations will probably eventually be implemented there as well.

My thoughts on the cleric are this: he's supposed to be a sort of middle-ground class, a character with melee capability and supernatural power. Perhaps a special set of "spells" for the cleric, including that holy symbol you mentioned and maybe the ability to heal others, could be dual-wielded with his mace or crossbow. Try to make him a blend of fighter and mage, in some respects. Just my two cents. :P

Whatever you end up doing, I suspect I'll only enjoy the mod even more. :D
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Okay I just tried out that mace for fighter. It doesn't use any green mana and absolutely wrecks ettins. A little tricky to use on centaurs but overall a crazy ass weapon I've been wondering where its been all my life. I wouldn't have a clue how to balance it.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Well, this is quite interesting. I'm glad you're working on hexen again, your previous stuff was pretty neat.

I love having the spell book for the mage, and the new staffs are pretty neat. some mana issues and balance stuff, but overall very well done.

The Cleric has been rather nerfed with the snake staff and the fire; and they don't power up well at all. serious balance issues. some mana issues.

The Fighter is pretty fun, but the animations for dual wield are kind of choppy and wonky, and the timing is rather odd sometimes. its pretty buggy. the castlevania mace is pretty awesome for lower level monsters, it would be nice if the grapple/rip function was for a secondary, the primary being more of a straightforward attack. also it uses no mana. finally... the new sword is super nerfed. i get that you can use it without mana, but that still really doesn't make up for its severely limited range and expensive mana output, the upgraded mode is somewhat of a downgrade as well for crowds. oh, and the crossbow stinks; it takes 8 bolts to kill an ettin.

also, there seems to be a lack of secondary attacks in general, and the crossbow suffers from lack of damage; i'd rather it do more damage and for the bolt to be slower than for a lightning fast crossbow backup that doesn't do damage.

all in all, for a WIP, its pretty cool, keep up the good work.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Thanks Crudux, you may not think it but this is actually really helpful feedback :). It is much more helpful to me to hear what is bad, than what is good. It might seem wierd but since I only built this to please myself originally, how other people take it is a bit of a blind spot for me. I'm not sensitive so if you see anything else you think sucks, I would rather hear about it than just leave it neglected (which it most likely would be...)

The fighter definitely needs some more work to be on a par with his ability level in original Hexen, that is quite right. I would like to do it with a bit more style though, because I thought the original idea of 'Sword Bullets' was a bit ... well tacky, I suppose. I think his flaming sword should actually have a more mayhem causing pyro effect, and unlike in 1995 computers can definitely afford the sprite budget for more realistic fire. So I will fix that...

The cleric I am not so sure about. He may seem nerfed from the outset, but he has two new abilities that set him completely apart from the other two classes; the serpent staff is a kind of slow working hitscan weapon, but so long as you have blue mana, it will always keep your health topped up. The firestorm spell has simply been displaced to the Phoenix rod, because as I was playing it myself I felt that the effect suited it more than the simple straight 'Doom rocket launcher' replacement that it was. So in effect it is still there, and he hasn't really lost anything. As for the new attack for the holy fire symbol, it may not be instantly noticeable, but it is supposed to work as a kind of 'exorcist' effect, that the monsters run away in terror from. I possibly watch a bit too much 'Supernatural' but it effectively means that as long as you posses the mana, you can simply turn the monsters away with 'holy power' and walk though the world unmolested. The fact that the monsters also tend to explode when you get close to them is kind of incidental, really...:). I agree that it could use a bit more work though to 'visually' communicate what is actually going on. It is all simply rough ideas I was working on of how to emphasise that the cleric is a type of warrior that is aided by higher power. I don't know if it is really working, but I wanted to steer him away from being just a character with 'different kind of blasters, numbers 1, 2 and 3'. Plus in addition to all that, not only does he still have the coolest weapon out of all the series (wraithverge), he has borrowed the lightbringer staff from Hexen 2, which when fully powered up he can really just walk into any room blindfolded and vaporize everything with sunfire by waving it around...

The crossbow I am not much having fun with myself either. I want it to be in there because it is an iconic Heretic item, but it has never really been any good, even in Heretic itself... from my own point of view, I would much rather it be a 'railgun' type of weapon; one shot that will do a lot of damage when well placed, but taking lots of time to reload. So I think I will make an executive decision to completely ignore the Heretic version and just do what I think is good... I never meant for this to be slavishly faithful anyway, hence the 'remix' title.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Chilvence wrote:So I think I will make an executive decision to completely ignore the Heretic version and just do what I think is good... I never meant for this to be slavishly faithful anyway, hence the 'remix' title.
This is a good idea, don't be afraid to change things up to make them useful and satisfying! I haven't actually had time to play around with this yet, but I've certainly got my eye on it, keep up the good work.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Chilvence wrote:Thanks Crudux, you may not think it but this is actually really helpful feedback :). It is much more helpful to me to hear what is bad, than what is good. It might seem wierd but since I only built this to please myself originally, how other people take it is a bit of a blind spot for me. I'm not sensitive so if you see anything else you think sucks, I would rather hear about it than just leave it neglected (which it most likely would be...)

The fighter definitely needs some more work to be on a par with his ability level in original Hexen, that is quite right. I would like to do it with a bit more style though, because I thought the original idea of 'Sword Bullets' was a bit ... well tacky, I suppose. I think his flaming sword should actually have a more mayhem causing pyro effect, and unlike in 1995 computers can definitely afford the sprite budget for more realistic fire. So I will fix that...

The cleric I am not so sure about. He may seem nerfed from the outset, but he has two new abilities that set him completely apart from the other two classes; the serpent staff is a kind of slow working hitscan weapon, but so long as you have blue mana, it will always keep your health topped up. The firestorm spell has simply been displaced to the Phoenix rod, because as I was playing it myself I felt that the effect suited it more than the simple straight 'Doom rocket launcher' replacement that it was. So in effect it is still there, and he hasn't really lost anything. As for the new attack for the holy fire symbol, it may not be instantly noticeable, but it is supposed to work as a kind of 'exorcist' effect, that the monsters run away in terror from. I possibly watch a bit too much 'Supernatural' but it effectively means that as long as you posses the mana, you can simply turn the monsters away with 'holy power' and walk though the world unmolested. The fact that the monsters also tend to explode when you get close to them is kind of incidental, really...:). I agree that it could use a bit more work though to 'visually' communicate what is actually going on. It is all simply rough ideas I was working on of how to emphasise that the cleric is a type of warrior that is aided by higher power. I don't know if it is really working, but I wanted to steer him away from being just a character with 'different kind of blasters, numbers 1, 2 and 3'. Plus in addition to all that, not only does he still have the coolest weapon out of all the series (wraithverge), he has borrowed the lightbringer staff from Hexen 2, which when fully powered up he can really just walk into any room blindfolded and vaporize everything with sunfire by waving it around...

The crossbow I am not much having fun with myself either. I want it to be in there because it is an iconic Heretic item, but it has never really been any good, even in Heretic itself... from my own point of view, I would much rather it be a 'railgun' type of weapon; one shot that will do a lot of damage when well placed, but taking lots of time to reload. So I think I will make an executive decision to completely ignore the Heretic version and just do what I think is good... I never meant for this to be slavishly faithful anyway, hence the 'remix' title.
On further review, i can absolutely see what you're talking about on the blue flame; the effect doesn't really last very long though, and for a weapon it just doesn't really feel effective. Perhaps enemies fear state can emit blue flames, like its being engulfed in flames that last a set amount of time in a "fear" state. also, think about maybe making a wall of flames or a circular area around the player that would make enemies run away.

Also, perhaps you should work out having the mace with the flame spell, it seems like a good fit.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Crudux Cruo wrote:Also, perhaps you should work out having the mace with the flame spell, it seems like a good fit.
I'd like to second that motion. This would give the cleric more of a sense of being "in between" the Fighter and Mage -- giving him dual-wielding, but only with a spell and his mace/crossbow.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

This mod looks amazing, but alas, even when I've tried updating Zdoom AND GZdoom to the latest SVN's, it STILL does not recognize the 'Subtract' renderstyle.... :/
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

Got this thing to run by changing all instances of renderstyle 'subtract' to 'translucent' - and I gotta say, it shows promise....

To be fair, I found the new weapons to be clunky as compared to the original (and no Tome of Power active-spinning sprites) but the REAL promise lies in Korax, Reinterpreted. Give this guy some updated attacks such as the 'beast' shooting a constant barriage of Purple orbs (like Heresiarch currently does) from his six arms (random starting points, though), as well as an Arc of Death attack. Than have the wizard's HP doubled while removing his reflective spell, plus adding NEW powers entirely. This would work great in a Heretic / HeXen 'retelling' and I'm glad to finally see something like this in-game!

Hell, it could be taken a step further - alter the Korax 'beast' sprites to be greenish like the chaos sperent (or even red or gold) because, currently, Grey on Grey contrasting isn't much contrast at all. But the sprite-job nonetheless rocks....!
Gez

Post by Gez »

ShadesMaster wrote:This mod looks amazing, but alas, even when I've tried updating Zdoom AND GZdoom to the latest SVN's, it STILL does not recognize the 'Subtract' renderstyle.... :/
Well ZDoom and GZDoom have stopped using SVN for a while and the Mancubus.net repository doesn't even exist anymore.

For reference, the newer versions are at the top of the list, not the bottom.
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/zdoom/
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Well, it's been a few months. Any news?
Big C

Post by Big C »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:Well, it's been a few months. Any news?
PM him! It's best to PM the authors if they've been away for a while.

You got my hopes up, man! >:(

Return to “Gameplay Mods”