[WIP] Her/Hex Remix *added experimental spellbook,dualwield!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Chilvence

Re: [WIP] Heretic/Hexen Remix Project *link added*

Post by Chilvence »

I wouldn't read too deeply into it. I put it in there the way it is just to see if it added a 'Heretic' flavour to the game, and in that respect it kind of does. It doesn't have to stay like that and probably won't, but the state the mod is in is so early, who knows what I'll do with it. Yesterday I had no idea I was going to have dual wielding for the fighter. Now it is in game, I don't know how I lived without it :). It was a bit of a hard battle... Zdoom does NOT LIKE the idea of using two weapons...so I built it using some convoluted decorate spaghetti that switches weapons depending on what fire button you pressed and what your last weapon was.... Then there's having to have left and right handed sprites for everything... plus the fact that since I have a cold my brain is like sludge...ARG. Anyway, tomorrow when I'm satisfied the bugs in it are gone I'll upload a new update.

I'm not really sure what you mean by weaponising the tome; do you mean like a spellbook? I do like the idea of having a spellbook in the game as well. There was a really cool spriteset somewhere in the forums with just that in mind, with customisable pages and all, and in my mind having only two spells for a mage character is pretty stingy, but that's something for later. There's actually lots of things in Hexen that could be considered spells really, eg the porkelator or the repulsion disks, banishment device, the self teleport thingum etc. Just thinking out loud, but maybe the mage character could be unique in that instead of using them as artifacts, he can study them to learn their secrets, and can subsequently cast them at will, for an appropriate cost in mana. I'm into the idea of anything that makes each class completely different from the others, so I would love to do that.
Chilvence

Re: [WIP] Her/Hex Remix *added experimental spellbook,dualwi

Post by Chilvence »

I couldn't let that idea rest, and today I implemented an experimental spellbook based on Neoworm's sprites using the basic idea above...

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... VlpTmRmWlk
I didn't spend 8 years in Mage school just to shoot wands
I didn't spend 8 years in Mage school just to shoot wands
How it works: instead of frost shards/arc of death, when you pick up either you get a spellbook, with offensive/defensive modes (weapons 2/3) . As you collect artifacts, you learn new spells, and can cycle through them using the _RELOAD KEY_ which you will have to bind if you haven't already.

This update also allows the fighter to dual wield the crossbow, axe or hammer in various combinations.
How shall I slay you, let me count the ways
How shall I slay you, let me count the ways
How that works: when you switch from one of the above weapons to another one, it is stored as your 'last used weapon', and appears in the left hand. You can then use alt-fire to do a left hand attack. NOTE: the hammer can also be either thrown or not thrown; hold the fire button to throw, tap to melee. Try the quick left hand axe, right hand hammer combo out...

I really should give fair warning that I threw both features together in a frenzied haste, so while I think they are working alright, their graphics are not very polished, and there may be strange unavoidable happenings. If something odd happens, I am sorry, but give me a bug report and I'll fix it. I put it here as is, because it may be some time before I can get around to perfecting both features.

Still if I do say so myself, even with bugs I think this is way more fun than that Brutal Hexen beta.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Nothing is more fun than the Brutal Hexen beta.

:D

Haven't tried this out yet, but i'm willing to preemptively let this tie for Brutal Hexen's place, however. Sweet work.

EDIT: Also, any chance of allowing dual-wield of Quietus and Timon's Axe? Sword+Axe= U DED NAO

EDIT 2: This spellbook thing is basically what I had in mind. Here's an idea for the mage. The Tome of Power stops being a inventory item and IS the spellbook. Which means that it becomes a spell you can use, which can be activated once or twice per level. Perhaps give it something of a mana cost as well.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Well, don't get me wrong, I liked Brutal Doom but I am a bit skeptical that the Hexen version will ever materialize into a full product.

In answer to your question 1, the dual wield combos were just simply what I had time for the day before yesterday. But since the very first thing I made a decision about was that the weapons should near insta-switch like Quake, it may as well allow any dual combination, since it is effectively the same as doing switch to secondary->attack->switch back. The dual wielding 'ability' is pretty much fancy wrapping, to make the player feel like a mad axe wielding berserker (and incidentally what do I get in Brutal Hexen? a shield... wow so dangerous...oooh). But it needs a LOT of sprites which I need a couple of spare hours for.

Regarding your second suggestion, I re-implemented the tome for this mod purely because from the very first day I played Hexen, it just felt missing, and for fairness it should be available (or rather its power should be) to all classes. Trying to balance the three characters to equivalency is going to be the biggest challenge, and I already have a problem now that I have given the fighter and mage cool new abilities that I need something equally great for the cleric class. I gave him the power to turn away monsters with a holy symbol, which can be fun, but I don't really feel that is equal enough of a share of Cool New Stuff... to be honest, compared to the other two, I never really got a sense of what the cleric character is really 'about', so I need to think on that. Is he a healer? Is he a martyr? Is he an avenging crusader? I did have an idea that the source of his ultimate weapons power, Wraithverge, is literally the avenging wrath of the spirits of warriors unjustly slain by the armies of Korax, and that it becomes inert and functionless once its purpose is fulfilled. I like a bit of in game mythology, me.
Ethril

Re: [WIP] Heretic/Hexen Remix Project *link added*

Post by Ethril »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:When was the last time you saw a mage keeping a crossbow around his tower? xD
It's always good to have a backup plan. ;)
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

There can never be enough weapons for this game. The more the merrier!
acidhoez

Post by acidhoez »

Valherran wrote:There can never be enough weapons for this game. The more the merrier!
^ yes, i really like what ive played of this so far, some really interesting stuff going on here, i look forward to more updates
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

FOUND A BUG

Select crossbow right out of the box and press altfire. It fires the crossbow without using ammo. Shouldn't it punch?

Edit: Oh yeah characters seem to have Doom jumpheight in Hexen, not sure if that's intended.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Whoops that's an oversight on my part... there probably shouldn't be an alt-fire at all until you have chosen a weapon combo. I'll see if I can refine the system a bit tomorrow. Much as I appreciate the decorate system for what it allows, it is quite hard to implement stuff elegantly...

I have no idea why the jump height would have changed though, that's weird, I will try and find out.
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

sigh..

updating gzdoom to the new build has now caused an issue with all wads being played, including this one;

DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

TRying to think where this could be reported so Graf sees it... Bugs forum I suppose? It's not ZDoom but I don't know where to put GL bugs at otherwise.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

My guess is that your PC doesn't support OpenGL 3.0(?) which is what the new GzDOOM version uses.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

I forgot to mention, it should work ok with plain Zdoom now. You'll still a dev version, since I used features found in the wiki that don't work on older versions.... but at least you can get around the Gzdoom issue, which unfortunately I can't help with. New drivers maybe? I was not trying to exclude ZDoom, it just happens by accident because I mainly use GZDoom. I actually figured that GZDoom was simply the GL equivalent of Zdoom and would support pretty much the same features, but its not always true...

But to be fair, unless you really like experimental wip stuff, you might rather wait until I have a proper version of this, by which time there will probably be an easier solution. I really did all this as a sort of 'code first, ask questions later' because I was bored, and I wanted to see if people still liked Heretic and Hexen when you put them both in a box and shake it until they moosh up with each other. I personally am having a great time playing Heretic levels with the fancy bells and whistles from the sequel :). I mean Corvus would have been so much better with an axe...
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I like where you're going with the mod. It's not adding crazy fast fighter punches, the spell selection system is interesting, and I can actually help track down any issues with it if necessary.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Chilvence wrote: Regarding your second suggestion, I re-implemented the tome for this mod purely because from the very first day I played Hexen, it just felt missing, and for fairness it should be available (or rather its power should be) to all classes. Trying to balance the three characters to equivalency is going to be the biggest challenge, and I already have a problem now that I have given the fighter and mage cool new abilities that I need something equally great for the cleric class. I gave him the power to turn away monsters with a holy symbol, which can be fun, but I don't really feel that is equal enough of a share of Cool New Stuff... to be honest, compared to the other two, I never really got a sense of what the cleric character is really 'about', so I need to think on that. Is he a healer? Is he a martyr? Is he an avenging crusader? I did have an idea that the source of his ultimate weapons power, Wraithverge, is literally the avenging wrath of the spirits of warriors unjustly slain by the armies of Korax, and that it becomes inert and functionless once its purpose is fulfilled. I like a bit of in game mythology, me.
I'm unsure as to the specifics of the Wraithverge's origin and usage, but I do know that Parias is one of a holy order. They are both saints and brutal warriors at the same time. He is both.

I think, that perhaps the Wraithverge's spirits may also be those who fought in earlier crusades and died, on top of those killed by Korax. I doubt that the fight against Korax was the first war his people had ever been involved in.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”