[ON HOLD] Bumi: Real-Time Day/Night & Weather

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
AtroNx

Re: Bumi: Real-Time Day/Night & Weather [beta0.9 source rele

Post by AtroNx »

RikohZX wrote:
Nash wrote:Image

Several examples of how Bumi can be used as a level design toolkit to drastically alter the tone and mood of your maps. The tint and fade colours are all customizable to suit your level's mood. Map designed by Real AtroNx.
Impressive, this looks like a scene straight out of the original Silent Hill.
Thank you, if everything goes right, the map will be ready for the end of this week! :3:
Reinchard2

Post by Reinchard2 »

So how exactly Cheat_Thunderstorm work? When I type that I have message "thunderstorm set fo 0 hours" even if I type "Cheat_Thunderstorm 1"
Nash

Post by Nash »

It must be overcasting or raining first before thunderstorms can be activatated, otherwise it does nothing.
Reinchard2

Post by Reinchard2 »

Ok, thanks.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

AtroNx wrote:
RikohZX wrote:
Nash wrote:Image

Several examples of how Bumi can be used as a level design toolkit to drastically alter the tone and mood of your maps. The tint and fade colours are all customizable to suit your level's mood. Map designed by Real AtroNx.
Impressive, this looks like a scene straight out of the original Silent Hill.
Thank you, if everything goes right, the map will be ready for the end of this week! :3:

:shock: :wub:
AtroNx

Post by AtroNx »

-----Update-----
Almost done with this piece of the city, enjoy those screens. :wink:
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

Hello, can I ask something a bit off-topic? This must be embarassing... so recently I have been converting some maps to UDMF using ConvUDMF tool to integrate Bumi with the maps. There is always a guaranteed broken doors and switch, so I instantly think "Eh, even ConvUDMF is not perfect. Get over it.". But just then I realized that it's me who broke the maps when I add the Bumi skybox to the converted maps, as I play the freshly converted maps and it is flawless!

So what I did wrong? I don't know anything about mapping. I just follow the direction from the kids.

1. First I converted the maps (usually maps in Boom : Doom format), to UDMF with ConvUDMF (it is flawless, the map is fully playable)
2. Then I opened the converted map with GZDoom Builder, along with Bumi Template Map.was
3. Activate Sector Mode, select the skybox then Ctrl+c
4. Back to converted map, Ctrl+v. Move the skybox outside the map
5. Select all playable then right click (is it okay to right click when the pointer is above the map?)
6.change the tag (I am not really sure what number I should input... the vid said 1 is okay, but in what conditions I should change it higher? Which indicators shows that I should make it like 100?)
7. Custom tab, add user_envsector, boolean, true
8. After that I just save, and play. Cue some unresponsive doors, switches

What I did wrong?
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

I'm assuming you're changing the tags of doors and lifts and stuff, which means the switches don't have a target anymore because there's no longer sectors with the tag they're told to affect.
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

Is this unavoidable?

Edit : is that possible to tag the whole map without changing the already tagged sector? The map I experiment on is Arcadia demake, and by default there is 114 sector already tagged
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Sectors can have multiple tags - if you can't give them a new one, then you need to use a more up-to-date map editor, like GZDoom Builder.
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

Funnily, GZDoom Builder is the map editor I used. Is multiple tags feature from SVN? I should check the version when I got to my lappie
Nash

Post by Nash »

1) If there are already existing tags, DO NOT touch them. I put an annotation in red in the Youtube video (it was an oversight I didn't realize while recording it). If a sector already has tags, skip tagging them, in other words DO NOT OVERWRITE EXISTING TAGS and instead just add user_EnvSector into the custom property.

2) Bumi is NOT meant to be a player mod; it is actually a modder resource/dev kit for custom/from-scratch projects. I am probably just marketing this thing wrongly but it's not meant to be user-friendly and playable with Doom maps. What I wanted to demonstrate was the setup required to make this work was minimal, so that's why I used existing maps. Probably not a good idea in hind sight to demonstrate this... sigh
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

Silly me, all this time I watched the vid in mobile where there is no annotation. And yes, I experiment with just custom properties and it works. I just worried that the tag is very crucial.

I aware that Bumi is more a resource for modders than a mod, but as I said, I don't know anything about mapping. I just want to see how much I can improve a map with Bumi... Have a good time with this, it adds a lot to the atmosphere especially urban maps. I actually gonna try Phocas Island next, lets see how well I can do that :P

PS: how to use the cheat_season? Does it toggles season change or I need to do cheat_season fall ?
Last edited by NantoCodd on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Cheat_Season just flips through the 4 seasons in a year. No parameter is needed. It will cycle through winter -> spring -> summer -> fall and then back to winter.
NantoCodd

Post by NantoCodd »

Thank you!

Return to “Resources”