[ON HOLD] Bumi: Real-Time Day/Night & Weather

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
noonecares

Re: [WIP] Real-time day/night and weather engine

Post by noonecares »

Me during video: "Shouldn't you be out curing f***ing cancer or something, Nash?"
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I'm half as old as you and sound deeper. <3
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

Oh, I just noticed this thread..and message. Blame that sneaky zdoom PM notice I'm the one, who should thank you for including this techmap in video 0:
As for engine itself.. it is totally stunning! Me too wonder how would classic ID stuff look on it. Being multiplayer-addicted, I hope that'll have some sort of MP sometime somehow :wink:
Zeyl

Post by Zeyl »

Dude, this is too awesome! (Y)
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

This looks very impressive Nash! Can't wait to hear more about the project.
Ral22
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Ral22 »

Wow. Utterly amazing. I can'r wait to see what this is fully capable of, as well as all other possibilities that come with this.

I noticed a lot of other neat effects in the video, such as the camera roll and the hud weapon affected by pitch and yaw. Will you be sharing more of those effects with us in the coming days, or are those specific to your branch? If they are, is it possible to be added to the main ZDoom branch?
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

I think roll is achieved by using camera textures and a downward-facing camera, weapons look to be 3D models, and are probably placed in front of/below that camera and adjusted accordingly to the player's movement, and sync'd with the actual weapons via ACS and Inventory items.

Of course I could be wrong, but that's my guess. I don't think camera roll is possible in the engine, nor adjusting weapon offsets by player look actions, not without massive fundamental code modifications, anyway.

8-)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Ral/Cali:

Camera roll and weapon sway are source mods. They are the only features not done in ACS, but I guess but I wanted the video to look pretty...

(To Cali) This isn't a camera texture trick, it's the real deal! :D And actually the camera roll stuff is super easy to do, I think it's only like 2 or 3 lines of changes in the source (if I remember correctly)

And yes I still remember that I'm supposed to put up a code submission for the camera roll stuff (I haven't forgotten!). <:) I procrastinate too much. :S

Unfortunately the weapon sway is an old rejected feature which Ryan Cordell originally made (GunOffsetX/Y) so that one has no chance ever of getting into upstream.

EDIT: Here's an old post on how I figured out the weapon sway thing. http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 40#p634403
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Well, I have been proven wrong.
(To Cali) This isn't a camera texture trick, it's the real deal! :D And actually the camera roll stuff is super easy to do, I think it's only like 2 or 3 lines of changes in the source (if I remember correctly)
THEN WHY DON'T WE HAVE IT YET!? GET SUBMITTIN', NASH!

*ahem*

Cool stuff, sorry I ever doubted you! And why was the weaponsway rejected? Could it be cleaned up/fixed and resubmitted?

8-)
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Caligari_87 wrote:And why was the weaponsway rejected?
IIRC it was because it simply changes the offests directly, which can proceed to cause problems with the raise/lower when switching weapons. Granted, you can already sort of break those by (mis)using Offset(), so I'm unsure how far that goes.
GhostKillahZero

Post by GhostKillahZero »

So is this mod compatible with other mods? or simply just one.
Nash

Post by Nash »

It's compatible with almost any map but it does require you to edit the maps (there is no way to insert skyboxes into existing maps without editing them).

Requires minimal tagging. Technically, only 1 tag is needed. You can select all sectors in the entire map and tag them with "1" and the system would do its thing.

But for maps that have a lot of tags in use (like a map with lots of 3D floors or any kind of control sector), you can specify a tag range. So it's possible to tell the engine, "all sectors with tags 1 to 500 will be colourized by day/night tint".

The engine also does not mess with sector lights, so even if you have thousands of hand-lit sectors with crazy shadows and gradients and stuff, no problem. Those will be retained.

The engine is really meant to be a modder's resource, NOT a player mod where you add into your autoload and expect all maps you play to have real-time weather. I meant to add that into the OP.
skornedemon

Post by skornedemon »

This is really something, excellent work! I once made a dynamic day/night system with weather and that jazz for one of my mods too. Is the rain spawning only around the player or is it the entire map?
If it is the player, how do you make this look unawkward during multiplayer. I was originally going to make it rain only around players for my mod however people tend to notice
rainclouds following people.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Each player has their own set of rain particles. The relationship is maintained by storing the player pointer into the rain drop's TRACER field.

However I had to (sloppily) write a custom code pointer which is currently only available in my GZDoom fork. This code pointer (called A_DrawRain) will make the rain actor only visible to the specific player that is stored in its TRACER field. Very hacky.

I made this feature suggestion a long time ago but I don't know how soon will it be addressed. If it gets added into official ZDoom, then I can get rid of my ugly hack.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Do I need to append a huge block of license text at the top of all my source files? What kind of license would my stuff even fall under, if applicable at all? I just want it to be "you can do as you wish with this source code as long as you don't remove this header" or something to that effect.

And of course the usual things like not allowing it to be used to make money etc etc yadda yadda.

Oh and any project that uses my library must also be open source. Source locking is forbidden.

Return to “Resources”