Real Gun Sounds For Hideous Destructor Updated 10/11/2014

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hoodlook

Re: Hideous Destructor(modified sounds)V3

Post by Hoodlook »

Vaecrius wrote:
in hd.txt I wrote:To the best of my knowledge all resources used here are used in compliance with 29.21 of the Copyright Act of Canada; otherwise treat Hideous Destructor as a derivative work of Doom 2 (copyright id Software and any successors and assigns) with anything indicated below being subject to that understanding.

You may distribute the date-named zip file in Hideous Destructor unmodified for non-commercial purposes.

Code, modifications and other things that are my work may also be used in your projects. Attribution and giving me a link are encouraged and appreciated.
I'm just gonna be on record here as saying that I think a modded hd.pk7 like this - especially without a separate readme file conspicuously inside the archive explaining that this has been modded - is beyond the scope of what I had in mind to be acceptable when I wrote the above. It's a waste of bandwidth and hard drive space, tends to become obsolete within a week, creates room for confusion and just doesn't look clean.

I can't try it yet, but I've got a copy of the modded file in which I:
  1. deleted everything except the sounds folder
  2. within the sounds folder, deleted everything with a "last modified" date earlier than September 30, 2014
reducing the file size from 959 KB to 510 KB.

If you do that with the file, then run

Code: Select all

gzdoom -file hd.pk7 hd_modded.pk7
(with changes to file paths as necessary) I think that should implement the new sounds just fine.

EDIT: It does, in fact, work just fine.

Why is the pistol like twice as loud and echoey as the rifles and the shotgun almost silent?
Sorry for not understanding everything. I'm only 15 so I'm not the best with this stuff. I tried doing what you said and some of the sounds still didn't load. I've changed the download into .zip format with original files and my sound patch.
Dan50

Re: [Final Release]Hideous Destructor(modified sounds)

Post by Dan50 »

I am using nothing else BUT this mod and I STILL get errors :(
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I literally cannot understand how you could screw this up so badly. Being 15 is no excuse, I was able to figure this stuff out when I was 12 and all we had were WADs and we had to use DeuTex (a DOS command-line tool that was old before you were born).

Look, just take down the link, upload a zip with nothing but the sounds and I will do it for you.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Cut him some slack, Vaecrius. Modding isn't everyone's slice of cake and he's just trying to share something with the community. He could be just be flat out ignoring your advice but he's at least attempting to try and learn from it.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Perhaps. The "it's" and "definately" in the readme, together with the continued lack of sources for the sounds, and the fact that Morcillete did exactly the same thing and did everything right in a still-active thread and really Hoodlook could've just copied him and replaced a couple files to get what he wanted, are making it very hard for me to repent.

Anyway, since I've already downloaded the newest version I've gone ahead and remade it, as attached (<150k down from the original 1.8MB download that contained 2 full(???) copies of HD).

EDIT: I should stress that I can hear all the new sounds in this. It works.

[2020-10-24 deleting old unused attachments. Everyone's got much better HD sound mods nowadays.]
Last edited by Matt on Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoodlook

Post by Hoodlook »

Vaecrius wrote:Perhaps. The "it's" and "definately" in the readme, together with the continued lack of sources for the sounds, and the fact that Morcillete did exactly the same thing and did everything right in a still-active thread and really Hoodlook could've just copied him and replaced a couple files to get what he wanted, are making it very hard for me to repent.

Anyway, since I've already downloaded the newest version I've gone ahead and remade it, as attached (<150k down from the original 1.8MB download that contained 2 full(???) copies of HD).

EDIT: I should stress that I can hear all the new sounds in this. It works.
Thanks for the help Vaecrius. What I was doing wrong must have been that I wasn't loading the zip file containing just the sounds as a .zip, I was renaming the extension to .wad or .pk3 and loading that with hd.pk7.
Hoodlook

Post by Hoodlook »

Also I am wondering, what sound file does the thunderbuster use?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Hoodlook wrote:Thanks for the help Vaecrius. What I was doing wrong must have been that I wasn't loading the zip file containing just the sounds as a .zip, I was renaming the extension to .wad or .pk3 and loading that with hd.pk7.
That shouldn't make a difference. The big difference is likely the load order. Make sure your file containing the sounds is loaded LAST.
Matt

Re: Real Gun Sounds For Hideous Destructor

Post by Matt »

dsthubm.ogg, as of October 20, as well as all the usual explosion sounds and dsplsidl.ogg
Enker

Post by Enker »

Can someone fix this and put an actual .pk3 file?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Just rename it as .pk3, that's all a pk3 is.
Hoodlook

Post by Hoodlook »

Vaecrius wrote:dsthubm.ogg, as of October 20, as well as all the usual explosion sounds and dsplsidl.ogg
Thanks, time to make some new thunderbuster sounds
Hoodlook

Re: Real Gun Sounds For Hideous Destructor Updated 10/11/201

Post by Hoodlook »

Updated with awesome new explosion sounds!

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”