High resolution sprites and textures

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Reinchard2

High resolution sprites and textures

Post by Reinchard2 »

Little update:

Old post:
As far as i remember some Zdoomers are working on hires sprites, but I don't know if all that projects are dead or maybe someone still working on it. From some time I'm workin on something similiar, but I use 3d sculp/models to make sprites and lowpoly models. I'm still in early wip stage, but I show you what I have for now. Currently I'm working on Imp.

I just paste my posts from other forums:
I'm make some quick test of walk animation. This one looks little strange, because is precisely based on original Imp animation (there are some problem with this - not every frame are correct each other, look at original Doom frames of Imp and you will see some inconsistencies in the position of the arms and legs). So, this walk animation is based on original frames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ZjcbB ... e=youtu.be

Thanks for opinion guys. Muscles are working, maybe this resolution does not allow for notice this. This is still early wip. But I'm made some other test - this time I use attack frames. I try to set my skeleton in exactly the same pose as original sprite on every angle, but as before there are some inconsistencies between frames, not big, but it was not always possible to set skeleton in the same position as original, because original imp frames are drawn by hand I think. This time I notice some silly leg movements. I'll do something with time between frames to get his hitting look dynamically then this.

Some of this have ugly seams, but this skin is unfinished yet.

And here's how it looks in motion :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euQsPE7 ... e=youtu.be

And here some screenies of sculp and lowpoly model:

Last edited by Reinchard2 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Rustygold

Re: Support for high resolution sprites

Post by Rustygold »

The Imp looks like a turd. XD Anyway looks really good! I suggest changing It's walk cycle I think you should make him walk like a Sasquatch. It would just look better In my opinion becuase right now It looks like It has the arms of a toddler.
Attachments
sasquatch-drawing-4.jpg
Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

If I have one complaint, I think the model is over-lit. It would look much better with subtle lighting and shading instead of the extreme style you have.

The imp's walk cycle is indeed wonky as fuck though. I recommend maybe doing the Baron or Doomguy next to get a better handle on the sprites' lighting style without having to deal with strange animations.

I look forward to more.
Reinchard2

Post by Reinchard2 »

Here's first test of sprites (edges are not finished, and some ugly seams are still visible):

Onslaught Six

Post by Onslaught Six »

Yeah, the lighting definitely needs to be improved, and something about the color is off--it's too saturated, too "orange," instead of brown. You should also make it so the inside of the mouth is more reddish, and darker, right now at a glance it looks very strange, like the inside of the mouth is part of his face or something.

It's still the best-looking high res sprites I've seen though.
Blox

Post by Blox »

The spikes are an incredibly silly white, their faces are incredibly silly due to them not having cheeks (which they should!) and going around with a constantly open mouth, they look a lot like a bad clay model and they are incredibly red instead of (not even doom) brown.
here's doom brown, by the way

best hires sprite i've ever seen / 10

So, uh, it still requires a lot of work is what I'm saying.
Last edited by Blox on Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Titspikes. Also what with those white lines on the sprites?
And 16 rotations with higher FPS would be good.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Oh god high-res sprites. Gross. You know there are ways you can make Blender 2.66 export to .MD3, right? Here, this is what I mean.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

I kind of like these, but not exactly for the hi res part. They look like the original imps done in the style of Doom 64.
Reinchard2

Post by Reinchard2 »

Big thanks guys for some tips. I'm still working on it and inh meantime I'm fixed few things. Here's current version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-srHOBu ... e=youtu.be
Blox

Post by Blox »

The spikes are still pretty silly, but it looks much better already! (If a bit cold.)
RottKing

Post by RottKing »

Makes me want Area 51 doom

Reinchard2

Post by Reinchard2 »

I'm still experimenting with different types of animation. I decide to make 8 frames for more smooth animation. Take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKdul3u ... e=youtu.be

In this test I don't have attack frames. There are some inconsistencies between "spawn" and "see" frames, and scale is not perfect, just ignore that, this is only test.

And I'm upgrade his skin a little:

Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Reinchard2 wrote:And I'm upgrade his skin a little:
Spoiler:
Now we're talking. This looks pretty much perfect to me. Still see some line down the middle of his face and there's some weird spots on his shin. :|

I'd love to see you do all enemies in the game like this. You'd be much better than the other HD sprite project that never got finished. :wink:
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Don't forget about the brightmaps! Simply make all non-glowing parts of the model pitch black, OR go for the pretier but harder way - make actual light sources on the spots that should be glowing (for imp that would be his eyes, and the fireball when he is throwing it), and remove all other lights from the scene that you have used before. The model should become dark with exception of the lightsources and the areas they lit up.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”