Predators - Hellspawn Hunters [Working on the v0.4a]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jdredalert

Re: Predators - Hellspawn Hunters [Working on the v0.4a]

Post by jdredalert »

The Laser Bomb that i just posted above is a mine, since it will automatically explode if the enemy touches it. But yes, there will be some other trap-like gadgets. I don't know if all you guys remember, but before i halted the development of PHH last year i was talking about something similar to a bear trap... well i haven't forget about that. :) I believe that hunting is more than just shooting and stalking. Luring is part of the hunt as well. I don't want to spoil it all, but expect some kind of taunt that will alert enemies in a given radius in order to lead them to your traps.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I'm tweaking some features regarding the melee combat (the Wristblades, to be more precise). You'll now be able to hold the strong attack, much like in AvP 2. This will give much more precision during the fights. The weak attacks are now randomized: you'll have either the weak jab or uppercut, and they'll be slightly buffed up in terms of damage. In other news, i got rid of the strange bug in character selection screen, were the player sprites didn't cycle their walking animations correctly.

Also, i'm about to add two new bad guys to the rooster. Stay tuned for more development reports!
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

It has been some really busy days. Finished reprogram the Wristblades as a whole, then adding some particles effects and now doing some graphic work; Gotta say this is getting harder, but also rewarding. The 0.4a version will be the most beautiful so far, and i'm working hard on this. I wish i could have something more to show this time, but i'll try post a video in a few days (when some minor things are already done). Meanwhile, i want some of you guys opinion about something...

Would you guys want a version of Predators made for Hexen too?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Yes, yes I would. Looking great so far!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

A Hexen/Heretic version would be awesome. My only gripe with Hexen is that it seems like there's so few good mapsets out there for it, and the main wad is kind of dull/confusing.

I remember Endless' mod had a hacking feature for the Predator so he could open any door, would that be a good feature for the Hexen version that's so key/switch heavy?
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Well, i can think about that, yes. I'm giving Hexen a proper play through first, so i can learn what i can change or adapt. However, i'll only start working on the Hexen version after the v0.4a has been released, which will take a little longer;

In the meantime, i decided to add the throwing combi stick into the game, probably to the Heavy Predator arsenal. The Light Predator will also have a new weapon, a cloaked bear trap-like thing that will hit the enemy and probably paralyze it or slow it down. Any suggestions?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Hexen is really easy once you know how to do the puzzles and know where to back track, I did a speed run a long time ago and went through the whole game in a few hours I think. That game needed tougher monsters to kill though, it was too easy. (I do not count the last difficulty because it is just cheesy and abusable)
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Yeah, the first area isn't too bad once you've gone through it a few times. It's just not really that interesting.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I'm trying to beat Hexen for the first time these days and i'm still having not much problems about back tracking and switch hunting. I could buff the enemies a little, just as i did to the Doom monsters.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

jdredalert wrote:I'm trying to beat Hexen for the first time these days and i'm still having not much problems about back tracking and switch hunting. I could buff the enemies a little, just as i did to the Doom monsters.
The thing I have always wanted was an addon that gives the monsters more attacks and an increase to HP because they die pretty easily.
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

Have you thought of making a map set for this mod? I think the predator hunting some marines in a jungle would make for a classic scenario.

Consider this, what if you replaced every monster with a character similar to the jungle commandos in the movie predator.

Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

That's a great idea :D

As for a jungle map i think SMIV's jungle map he did awhile ago would be a perfect example of what a jungle map could be and i love to play that map with both my predator mod and jd's mod. It's fun and since the map is vast with lots of vegetation, trees, waterfalls even caves i think it could be a good source of inspiration for any future jungle maps.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

I haven't considered a mapset for the project yet because i'm focusing on the gameplay aspects right now. At the current moment i got most of weapons and enemies code done, and i'm working on improving the code of the other functions. For example, the Predator's energy management and idle sounds are purely ACS based instead of the hacky and somewhat flawed Decorate methods used before. I'm trying to optimize the basic stuff first, so i can move on the next step: i always wanted to implement a level system, with perks and skills to make the Predators more efficient on their respective abilities. This will definitely give me a lot of work to do, but it's not like this feature will be included in the next version yet. In fact, this is something i plan start doing in the beta phase.

However, a custom map could be interesting. The Jungle map can be a good start for a classic scenario, and a custom campaign is something i really want to do someday (something around 10 maps maybe, only to fit a chapter), but for now it's just impossible to be achieved alone. I'm overloaded with all the tasks at hand now. The only way i could do that is if i had a team working with me.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

It's partially done. Still needs some adjustments, because right now it can track anything regardless the vision mode. But yeah, the iconic triangular lock-on crosshair is now alive. :D
Spoiler:
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:It's partially done. Still needs some adjustments, because right now it can track anything regardless the vision mode. But yeah, the iconic triangular lock-on crosshair is now alive. :D
Spoiler:
Great news :D

I'm trying to keep up with all the great mods in here but don't worry i'll have time for yours when you'll release it :D

Keep it up !

Return to “Gameplay Mods”