Predators - Hellspawn Hunters [Working on the v0.4a]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jdredalert

Re: Predators - Hellspawn Hunters [Working on the v0.4a]

Post by jdredalert »

I think the glitch he mentioned was the constant "You got a Light Armor!" message that spams on screen once you step on the armor pickup :P
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:I think the glitch he mentioned was the constant "You got a Light Armor!" message that spams on screen once you step on the armor pickup :P
I see ... well next time i'll just shut up till you post a reply to the guy reporting a bug :lol:
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xeotroid »

Looks like I was wrong - the log spam bug happens on heavy armor and every other class, as well. Sorry about that... :oops:
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Heh, don't worry Xeotroid. Thanks to your bug report i noticed how every armor was prompted to show this looping message and it's fixed now :)
patrik

Post by patrik »

So, I am back with more feedback. :)

Firstly, I apologize for misleading report of plasma and freeze zombiemen being too immobile. I just realized that I played on 5th difficulty and that uses fast monsters. So disregard it.
I was bit confused by fact, that I am used to next to last difficulty mostly being equivalent to ultraviolence. Separate UV-fast skill is nice thing to have, as I always detested monster respawning, but I would recommend to differentiate it from other skills by having confirmation message for it with hint. Maybe something like: "Death embraces fools quickly."?

Bugs:
- Little visual nitpick: at maximum screen view, HUD displays version number after mods name, but in other screen view levels, it is not shown.
- Animation of Demon and Spectre attack seems too fast to me.
- Corpse of Spectre will get permanently visible, after you look at it with any vision mode.
- Painelemental tries to spawn 6 Lost souls from its death, but 3 immediately dies afterwards.
- You can use Health Shard unlimetedly after you acquire even one.
- Heavy Predator cant "hold" alternate attack of wristblades.
- Dont know if critical strike was removed from Light Predator wristblade attack, but there is no text indication of it anymore.

Suggestions:
- I think Mancubus attack should interfere with blue (heat) vision mode too. I am sure not only ice but also such big stream of flames would affect the way heat vision works.
- Dont know how feasible this is, but I think it would motivate playes to play more stealthly: make it that player deals bonus damage with melee weapons to enemies that didnt detect him/her yet.
- I was surprised by inclusion of health shards in this version. Previously I thought that you wanted to intentionally adhere to vanilla Doom health pickups mechanics. But I dont mind as it is more film/other-games authentic. This just poses several new balancing questions. At this moment, it replaces both stimpacks and medkits, which I presume is just place-holder concept for debugging. But in official release, this should be more rare, maybe like only every third medkit being replaced with it? I think player should move slower or being prohibited completely from it while using it. Also roar of pain should alert nearby enemies. This will IMO encourage players to use it more strategically.
- There is still Blursphere, but for Predator it is obviously redundant. So I have idea. Now when we have health shards, what about replacing it with portable energy recharger?

That is all from me for now. :wink:
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Okay, so here we go:

patrik wrote: Bugs:
- Little visual nitpick: at maximum screen view, HUD displays version number after mods name, but in other screen view levels, it is not shown.
Endless123 is in charge of the HUDS, and we're testing some new ones these days. Expect a new HUD in the new version, free of this bug.
patrik wrote: - Animation of Demon and Spectre attack seems too fast to me.
It is, but that's on purpose. I always thought that Demons and Spectres were nothing but cannon fodders because they were slow and their attacks were extremely easy to evade: a single step back and it misses the long and slow bite. Speeding it up was a way to make it feels more like a threat.
patrik wrote: - Corpse of Spectre will get permanently visible, after you look at it with any vision mode.
Never noticed that, good report. I will fix it.
patrik wrote: - Painelemental tries to spawn 6 Lost souls from its death, but 3 immediately dies afterwards.
Yup, you're right. I'll look into it.
patrik wrote: - You can use Health Shard unlimetedly after you acquire even one.
This is already fixed on my build, don't worry. :wink:
patrik wrote: - Heavy Predator cant "hold" alternate attack of wristblades.
Noticed that a few days back and fixed it on my end already.
patrik wrote: - Dont know if critical strike was removed from Light Predator wristblade attack, but there is no text indication of it anymore.
I just got rid of the text indication, but the critical damage is still there. I'll add something as a characteristic sound when you hit the critical on the enemy.
patrik wrote: Suggestions:
- I think Mancubus attack should interfere with blue (heat) vision mode too. I am sure not only ice but also such big stream of flames would affect the way heat vision works.
You're absolutely right. Not only the Mancubus attack, but also the Imp Fireball as well. I was thinking about how these days, because i think that use the same effect of the ice but painted red or something would not be too nice. But don't worry, I'll do something about it.
patrik wrote: - Dont know how feasible this is, but I think it would motivate playes to play more stealthly: make it that player deals bonus damage with melee weapons to enemies that didnt detect him/her yet.
That's a good suggestion. I think that's something i can do.
patrik wrote: - I was surprised by inclusion of health shards in this version. Previously I thought that you wanted to intentionally adhere to vanilla Doom health pickups mechanics. But I dont mind as it is more film/other-games authentic. This just poses several new balancing questions. At this moment, it replaces both stimpacks and medkits, which I presume is just place-holder concept for debugging. But in official release, this should be more rare, maybe like only every third medkit being replaced with it? I think player should move slower or being prohibited completely from it while using it. Also roar of pain should alert nearby enemies. This will IMO encourage players to use it more strategically.
Precisely, i was replacing the medikits and stimpacks directly for debug purposes. In the official 0.4a the medikits and stimpacks will be replaced by random spawners, that may or may not spawn the Health Shards. The roar alerting is a nice one too.
patrik wrote: - There is still Blursphere, but for Predator it is obviously redundant. So I have idea. Now when we have health shards, what about replacing it with portable energy recharger?
Most Power Ups were not replaced yet because there is too much to think and work on, and i ended up forgetting about them (maybe i should organize my daily schedule of work on the mod, and dedicate a day on week to each development area). But i intend to replace them all. Now, about a portable recharger, it's not coming because there's not a set of sprites of the recharger that are properly animated around, and i don't have time to screenshot rip it these days. However, i could turn it on a instant-use full energy recharger.
patrik wrote: That is all from me for now. :wink:
Thank you for your reports and suggestions! :D
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Bumping it to show the new HUD by Endless123. I really liked it a lot. How about you guys?

patrik

Post by patrik »

Please, take no offense, but I tend to prefer more minimalistic HUDs. So will there be option to hide that frame around health/energy bars?

Also, do I see randomizes SpawnHealth for monsters of same kind?
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

It looks nice, but I also prefer the less obstructing one (it's the reason I don't use Doom's status bar anymore but rather the built-in screen size 11 HUD)
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

Looks great! but perhaps making the outside part even more translucent would help to make it less obstructive.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Understood. I'll try to make it less obstructive.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:Understood. I'll try to make it less obstructive.
I already made an alternative, i made the bottom part on/off

Screenshot

The HUD can be toggled on/off with a custom key
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

That's a good idea. What you think, people?
Kontra Kommando

Post by Kontra Kommando »

Looks even better!
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

Nice. What's with the numbers, though - is that a custom mod? I would like to see a complete alphabet edit, not just numbers. :D
(even though I never really liked Yautja alphabet, it suffers from all characters looking the same)

I would change the top text though, info about what mod and class you're playing doesn't have to be in large font, imo. Although, the top bar would be a bit pointless then except for pick-up messages...

Return to “Gameplay Mods”