Predators - Hellspawn Hunters [Working on the v0.4a]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
-Ghost-

Re: Predators - Hellspawn Hunters [Working on the v0.4a]

Post by -Ghost- »

A leveling system would be pretty cool. We can already take trophies too, so the added reward of getting bonus XP or something would fit in well.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Yeah, the idea is to make the heads actually exp rewarding items. However, it's not like you'll be forced to harvest all heads one after another, because this would be dull and repetitive. So, my thoughts so far are: the harder the monster, the bigger exp reward. But this is only hypothetical, since i don't even started the leveling system yet.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

jdredalert wrote:Yeah, the idea is to make the heads actually exp rewarding items. However, it's not like you'll be forced to harvest all heads one after another, because this would be dull and repetitive. So, my thoughts so far are: the harder the monster, the bigger exp reward. But this is only hypothetical, since i don't even started the leveling system yet.
That would be fun if you could do that. I would avoid the RPG system of stats and just go with exp and trophies for currency though.

Example:

In order to use certain things bought in the shops, you need to be a certain level to use it. And when you kill stuff, there would be a chance that a trophy will drop on kill. The Trophies will be the currency, and you would need a certain amount to buy items and upgrades/attachments. I would make the drop rate of trophies low so that it will prolong the game enough to where you won't be able to get every upgrade/attachment by map 30.

For Attachments/upgrades, I would have it work like a tree system within the weapon or device where you can only take 1 route of upgrades and be unable to obtain the rest. Or choose of 1 of 2-3 option available, that sort of thing.

This will provide additional replay value and challenges to the MOD.
patrik

Post by patrik »

Vallherran, you like took words out of my mouth. :)

Leveling system in its classical form wouldnt blend well with these set gameplay rules, as you pretty much have no special abilities or skills (except for maybe cloaking and vision mods) so you would have to go with generic levelling up stats. And that would consequentially must lead to some sort of scaling up of monsters, which would most propably lead to either very grindy beginnings or too easy later stages. And that would IMO feel superfluous and out of place in this mod.

For in-lore authenticity, you could maybe call that currency honor. Motivating players to gain honor points for buying/upgrading weapons by killing monsters in unusual ways would feel more gratifying and in-place. Maybe like bonuses for chain killing with smartdisc or for killing cyberdemon with only wristblades. :twisted: I imagine upgrade/weapon shop as form of menu you could use from your wrist computer (like pipboy from Fallout games).

BTW Did headshots for speargun got implemented in? And sorry for being too nosey, but approximately how much percent of progress is left to next release? :D

Regarding your previous posts, jredalert:
- HeXen compatibility would be nice bonus, but I hope it has lower priority in development compared to other things. Oh and how is your progress in HeXen going? What is your opinion of it?
- Yay, finally red tracker triangle! But why is white in last screenshot?
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Well, i wasn't thinking of just a regular leveling system. I want to make a whole skill tree, so it's up to the players to make their own builds. The honor currency is good, but i don't know if i'm gonna use that particular word because TheMightyHeracross's fork of the original Predator mod by Endless123 already used the Honor concept, so i'll probably hold myself to the good old experience currency.

The headshots are still off - to be honest, i wasn't even remembering of it lol. I think i'll leave it that way for now, because there's already too much work to be done. But relax, it's not like i won't be doing it forever. ;)

I still haven't started working on Hexen version. I just booted up the Doom version in Hexen and took some screenshots. It was enough for some pics, but it would require a lot optimization. I'll only start working on it after getting the v0.4a is done.

About the red/white triangle, it's white because that's how it is when it's locked. See:

(go to 10 seconds)

Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

If you don't want to go with the exp style maybe using a system based on reputation. Each strong foe gives a skull as trophy and the more skulls collected the more reputation you get and with those reputation points you gain access to new skills (or part of a skill tree). Or you can also use the reputation points system to "buy" new skills.

Also if you want to prevent the player from buying the most power skill too quickly you could add a requirement system so to buy a skill the player would have to buy the previous one linked to it in the skill tree - like in Diablo 2, for example, the player could not learn the skeleton mage skill if he haven't learned the raise skeleton first.

Of course you could also make the system automated like in my experimental predator version which awards the player new stuff at the beginning of a level if the requirements are met.

It's up to you, all those are just suggestions of course and i'm sure you'll come up without something amazing as always :D
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Endless123 wrote:
Also if you want to prevent the player from buying the most power skill too quickly you could add a requirement system so to buy a skill the player would have to buy the previous one linked to it in the skill tree - like in Diablo 2, for example, the player could not learn the skeleton mage skill if he haven't learned the raise skeleton first.
That's exactly what i want to do. But at least for now, let's not put too much expectation on that feature yet. It's still not even in development right now, and i still have a lot to do before making that happen.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Yeah you're right you still have plenty of time to think about it.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Apologies for the bump, but is this what you are looking for?

It's a mashup of Hexen fighter and some influnces from some of the Predators more classic videogame appearances, so I can't really take any of the credit. But I've tried to keep to the Doom style rather than my own so it gels better with everything you're working with.

Anyway, I'm messing with team colors, which explains the green. And the other classes would be similar, but with slightly different poses and holding different weapons as standard.

Image Image
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Hey, i liked that!! Really nice! Please, keep it up!
patrik

Post by patrik »

Without any exaggaration, the best sprite based Predator player skin, I have seen so far. :thumb: Cant wait to see it in its full form. Do I see there bits of predator sprites from my beloved arcade AvP game? :) If I can suggest few things from my laymans POV, on first frame: right arm should be IMO bit slimmer and hand bit bigger.

I wouldnt mind to see this in Aliens: Ultimate Doom TC either. :wink:
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

So, i made a quick research and discovered that June 12 is Predator's 28th anniversary. I was thinking about releasing the new version in the movie anniversary prior to checking this date, but that will leave me only six days before the deadline and i still got a lot of things to do. Plus, Vostyok just started his new Predator sprite sheet and i don't want to give him such a hurry in order to finish his set. So i decided to set the release date to 30 July, which is the same date as the Predator debut here in my country.
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

jdredalert wrote:So, i made a quick research and discovered that June 12 is Predator's 28th anniversary. I was thinking about releasing the new version in the movie anniversary prior to checking this date, but that will leave me only six days before the deadline and i still got a lot of things to do. Plus, Vostyok just started his new Predator sprite sheet and i don't want to give him such a hurry in order to finish his set. So i decided to set the release date to 30 July, which is the same date as the Predator debut here in my country.
Interesting info, that's probably for the same reason Netherealm delayed the predator dlc for Mortal Kombat X, it was supposed to be out almost 2 weeks ago and now it's scheduled to be released around mid-June and 12th is kinda close to be mid-June :lol:
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Okay, so here's another screenie: Baron/Knight attacks are now revamped!

Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Haha yes, some of the parts are from the Arcade AVP, but I've also looked at snes and a scale model of the Predator from the original movie for reference.

I've edited the first walking frame based on your comments. I'm happy to say that porting straight into slade, team colours work fine. I'll post them as a PK3 when I've finished along with some decorate to show how the animations would work best, you can use that if you wish or write your own.

Image Image

Hmmm.... new spriteset with full rotations, as well as finishing and releasing my own demo, all by end of July....?

Challenge accepted 8-)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”