OSJC's QUAKE - Descent into Heresy - revisited

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
osjclatchford

OSJClatchford presses f10 on quake dih...

Post by osjclatchford »

SamVision wrote:Alrighty then *cracks knuckles* I'll have a go at it.
do what you feel is right with your version of the mod. (i've altered many things I didn't like in other mods fth.wad, zdizd etc... but kept it to myself as it feels like stepping on other's toes. on other occasions I've learnt the hard way... :wink: ) but please do try not to soil all my hard work... its taken a lot of time and effort to create this and I don't want to see it being turned into something it isn't.
and please don't think its because I can't do it (because I think I've proved my capabilities over time by now surely :roll:) I've not done these things because I don't want it done. its simple: its not supposed to be quake TO THE LETTER. its how I wan't it and I'm really happy with it. people often never know when to stop and add/change things till it devolves into something they were never intending it to be with lots of pointless extra features and weapons and stuff that was never really ever necessary...
just because you can does not mean you should.
-Ghost- wrote:Lol, every couple of pages, like clockwork.
...indeed...
-Ghost- wrote:What will you be working on now, osjc? I'd be interested to see your take on a Quake 2 mod, or Doom 64 or Doom 3 or something. Your mods are good at feeling close to vanilla but with nice extra features.
thank you for understanding. its quite refreshing truth be told...
well not to sound dramatic but I may have to take a break again for a while.
Its all getting a bit much and I could do with a doom-mod vacation (I thought permanently last time :roll: ) plus want to spend some time actually playing on other's mods like the upcoming dsDooM3 mod http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 88#p471886(out in march guys! this guy's got doom3 in doom sussed so no chance I'd ever bother trying to mod one)and blasting away on trailblazer in back to saturn X episode two :twisted: love it!

but... I doubt I'll be gone for too long

keep your eyes out for a possible OSJC mod of Malice for DooM in the not so distant future... thats all for now so keep playing 'em and I guess I'll keep making 'em!
SamVision

Re: OSJC's QUAKE-DIH + sgt shivers' texture-addon FINISHED

Post by SamVision »

Link deleted
Last edited by SamVision on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

I did not sanction this and am not exactly happy about it. I asked you nicely not to but it seems you've elected the way of the troll. Not amused... :| not at all
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

osjclatchford wrote:I did not sanction this and am not exactly happy about it. I asked you nicely not to but it seems you've elected the way of the troll. Not amused... :| not at all
I'm not looking to cause problems osjclathford, but rereading your response to SamVision it wasn't 100% clear what you did/did not want him to do. You started with "do what you feel is right with your version of the mod." which to me sounds like you were giving your blessing for Sam to make his own version. Perhaps this was all a miscommunication and he was not looking to be a "troll"?
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Hey it's not like I hacked your account, found your password and changed the download on the first post. You never outright stated that I can't edit your mod or post it here. Actually your message was a bit vague with regards to what you wanted or didn't want me to do. Anyway, I'll remove the download link at your request.
osjclatchford

Why am I bothering to explain myself... Yet again...

Post by osjclatchford »

I'm putting this to rest right here:
Ok maybe 'troll' was an extreme reaction but seriously guys lets not b-s me here. I'm no fool.
My desires on this matter were really quite clear:
osjclatchford wrote:do what you feel is right with your version of the mod. (i've altered many things I didn't like in other mods fth.wad, zdizd etc... but kept it to myself as it feels like stepping on other's toes. on other occasions I've learnt the hard way... :wink: ) but please do try not to soil all my hard work... its taken a lot of time and effort to create this and I don't want to see it being turned into something it isn't.
and please don't think its because I can't do it (because I think I've proved my capabilities over time by now surely :roll:) I've not done these things because I don't want it done. its simple: its not supposed to be quake TO THE LETTER. its how I wan't it and I'm really happy with it. people often never know when to stop and add/change things till it devolves into something they were never intending it to be with lots of pointless extra features and weapons and stuff that was never really ever necessary...
just because you can does not mean you should.
as you can see the parts highlighted in red paint quite a clear picture...

I shouldn't have to point this out really. should I now?

Look, I'm no stranger to mod alterations. but there is a kind of etiquette to follow here...
I could understand if the thread had been deserted for a while or if you'd come up with something really original or vital for mod function, hell, although not always totally necessary, it would have been polite to ask even.
but posting alterations (which are little more than personal preferences) of a mod in the mods official thread, the day after the official release by the author is, well... lets just say irksome.

call me paranoid, but it seems from my perspective as a bit of a provocation...
-Ghost- wrote:Lol, every couple of pages, like clockwork....
I do hope I've got that part wrong... :?

Look, you've removed it and that's gracious of you. I don't want this to be another 'ooh-cat' worthy incident but I felt it was important I said how I feel about it...
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

I think you're proving yourself to be a really pig-headed arrogant and paranoid person who thinks people are actually tring to annoy him by making a version of a mod that they want.. you're right, it's personal preference, which is what your creation is, and I for one, encourage both alterations and improvements of mods, both of other people's and my own, I don't see why anyone would be against it. The original will still exist. Did you message the heretic guys and ask them if it could be like this?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I don't see any reason for this to have to become an argument. I suppose it's true OSJC could have been clearer about what he did not want done with his mod, but it's also the responsibility of everyone else to ask for a clear answer before assuming it's okay. Now if we could please lay this to rest before someone flips their shit about it...
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

Why should we ask? It's modding. If more people wanna play a version that is not the original then let the ego move aside. Like I said the original will still exist.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Raziel236 wrote:Why should we ask? It's modding. If more people wanna play a version that is not the original then let the ego move aside. Like I said the original will still exist.
Because it's always a good idea to ask before you go and release a mod of a mod that risks stealing the thunder from the guy who spent the most time doing the majority of the work.
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

That's what I mean though, isn't the stealing the thunder thing just egotistical? Isn't it enough to know you created the bedrock for something great? I thought that was the point of modding.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Raziel236 wrote:That's what I mean though, isn't the stealing the thunder thing just egotistical? Isn't it enough to know you created the bedrock for something great? I thought that was the point of modding.
Some people don't see it that way. I think it's better in general to respect the people you're building from.
osjclatchford

re-upload (file corruption or something.)

Post by osjclatchford »

frontpage has changed.

had to re-upload when I noticed that the mouse cursor was wrong. somehow things have got messed up prior to upload at some point and an earlier version had snuck in.
anyhow if it was the only problem than its not too vital but the cursor should have been this nice nail one I had made:
herecurs.PNG
herecurs.PNG (3.16 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
as I say not vital but it ruins the whole "you are playing something different" feel when you've got an elvenwand amongst the other quake themed menu stuff I did.

anyway as I'd noticed that I thought there might have been something more serious in error or out-of-date so I re-uploaded the mod with the true-latest version and consolidated the gzdoom specific sky pack inside it too...

ok. I'm pretty sure it really is done now :roll:
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

The water in the large open area pushes you away on map 3.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I think it's supposed to do that, isn't it? I remember a few areas in Heretic where the water had a current and you have to time your running carefully to get through it.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”