OSJC's QUAKE - Descent into Heresy - revisited

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: OSJC's QUAKE-DIH + sgt shivers' texture-addon FINISHED

Post by Captain J »

well, it is intended since heretic was came out. for rising some puzzle difficulty, maybe?
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Raziel236 wrote:The water in the large open area pushes you away on map 3.
yeah, that's all heretic code. nothing to do with my mod. and I'm not gonna take it out because it'll wreck the maps plus Idont know how to and most of all dont want to :wink:
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

Yeh, I realised how silly it was thinking that a texture change could've caused that..
anyway, that's stupid. : P

[NEW POST]

The useable healthkits reset to one after each level, is this intentional?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Wow.

Absolutely beautiful mod.

I'd have always wanted to work on something like this, but I'd really need a team to do it justice. Quake's ambiance and atmosphere was (and still is) head and shoulders above pretty much anything else. It was only let down by the engine, which ironically reduced the game's ability to field swarms of monsters which Doom made it's trademark.

I know this has already been said, but the Mjolnir hammer and Laser Cannon would fit right in as direct replacements for the chainsaw and Plasma rifle. GZDoom could actually pull off their visual effects far better than Quake's (really wishing there was a font that added the Quake trident character on this forum) polygons could ever hope to achieve. Think of the Arc Of Death from Hexen- Quake's thunderbolt just looked like silly-string.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Vostyok wrote:Wow.

Absolutely beautiful mod.

I'd have always wanted to work on something like this, but I'd really need a team to do it justice. Quake's ambiance and atmosphere was (and still is) head and shoulders above pretty much anything else. It was only let down by the engine, which ironically reduced the game's ability to field swarms of monsters which Doom made it's trademark.
thanks! my thoughts exactly regarding the ambiance v.s. gameplay issue thats why heretic fit with quake so well... it kinda homages quake ambiance but emulates doom's gameplay...
Vostyok wrote:I know this has already been said, but the Mjolnir hammer and Laser Cannon would fit right in as direct replacements for the chainsaw and Plasma rifle. GZDoom could actually pull off their visual effects far better than Quake's (really wishing there was a font that added the Quake trident character on this forum) polygons could ever hope to achieve. Think of the Arc Of Death from Hexen- Quake's thunderbolt just looked like silly-string.
er.. replacement for chainsaw and plasmarifle? not sure what you're getting at there but those weapons aren't in heretic so are not replaced... the nearest would be gauntlets(chainsaw) and thats now the grenadelauncher and hellstaff(plasmagun) and thats now the supernailgun. I might consider adding those other weapons (laser and mjolnir) at some point in the future but I wouldn't bet on it. I've only played scourge of armagon through once and as such am not familiar with them enough to make them from memory... and I'll ask you all now please don't saturate this thread with links to videos of soa in quake or samsara or whatever... if i do it i'll do it when i'm ready... but as I said. I wouldn't wait for it...
Raziel236 wrote:The useable healthkits reset to one after each level, is this intentional?
very yes. same as the quartz flasks. but of an unfair advantage otherwise...
SlipgateTourist

Post by SlipgateTourist »

Nice idea and the mod is already pretty enjoyable but:

there is not nearly enough ammo on the higher skill settings
players should have the option to disable the shaky effect of the nailgun
players should have the the option to disable kickback, now we are more or less forced to use always mouselook
osjclatchford

4bshot.pk3 add-on!

Post by osjclatchford »

ok just to clarify what this is. its an addon for an addon mad I know but let me explain this insanity!
it can't have escaped anyone's notice that the slipgater's buckshot is seriously lacking in the trouser department. that is to say that the quake shotguns just don't have the 'beef' or satisfaction of their doom counterparts do they?

well someone* else obviously thought so too as back in the day, 4bshot.pak was created for quake one allowing dual supers to be enabled! - see here for more info: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod-re ... #post90711
*sorry never knew who this was even back then but the mod was consolidated with many others for KQP so maybe their credit is in there? well, this mod was one of my absolute favorites to play vanilla quake with nonetheless.

so, after feeling seriously dissatisfied with chugging away at the heretic nasties with what felt like endless shot-shells I was longing for the satisfying punch of DooM II's super shotty!
Just then a twisted thought struck my frontal lobes kike 12 gauge shell at close range; "what I need is 4bshot.pak here". then I remembered I was playing DIH and NOT quake. so after a second or two of disappointment I realized the obvious solution: "duh! make my own version of it!" :roll:

and here it is: https://www.mediafire.com/?vxpj4sl38v935pu
now please bear in mind this is based on a mod that pre-dates things like trailblazer by about a gazillion years so don't expect the pillowblaster/doomnukem level of awesomety you may be from it. also please accept that this is not going to be EXACTLY the same as 4bshot.pak is code-wise either. its pretty faithful to it lets just say that.
4bshot_prev.JPG
as you can see the sprite is a fudge up of one of doomnukem's super's to match my quake-super sprite. rather nice too imho...

long story short? - find another super shotgun and wield two akimbo! -
twice the power :D
twice the horizontal spread :|
twice the shell consumption :(
longer reload* :(
*well what passes for reload on a quake weapon (kept this without like the 4bshot original)

this add-on is was intended for nostalgia and to add a little fun and variation to the quake arsenal in the heretic mod and is not to be taken too seriously as I'm pretty sure its obvious that not a lot of time went into it LOL

... oh and be sure to try it with a quad :shock: you'll love it
osjclatchford

UPDATE - SUN 5th MAY 2015 - improved anims

Post by osjclatchford »

*update*
revisiting this has got me inspired a bit and as such I have improved the shotgun, supershotgun, grenadelaucher and rocketlauncher anims. - see frontpage for DL link
*end*
Pirx

Post by Pirx »

thanks! i take rockets and shotguns over magical staffs any day, now there's a mod to give heretic some quake flavor!
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

What kind of beef would a gun have without kickback? There is vanilla Heretic if you do not favor kickback. As far as I can tell, it doesn't affect non-mouselookers as well. Great job, OSJ! I have a question I would like to ask you.. I'm currently developing a Doom 64-inspired mod and your shotgun weapons have caught my interest in being close to Doom 64's style. If I provide credit and acknowledgement to this project, will you allow those resources to be used freely in my development? Thank you!
BFG

Post by BFG »

nice concept, now I want to see a Doom64 / Heretic mix :shock:
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

So I ran this up with gZ and wow, I apologize for my comment earlier. The kickback DOES have a bit of a factor in play. The more intensive weapons causing your aim to fly up and about. Might I suggest Lookspring for anyone playing without Freelook? Love the new frames for the weapons. Very smooth!
Legend

Post by Legend »

Just wanted to say this is a really fun mod. The only niggle I have is that the grenade launcher feels a bit off. At least it doesn't quite aim the way I expect it to like in Quake. Seems like it kinda drops out of the barrel really low. Even when aiming high, it seems like it just launches forward as opposed to lobbing where I am aiming. I can almost never make effective use of it unless I am aiming at an enemy on a lower plane than me. Other than that, it's really great and I have been enjoying playing through heretic again with it.

It would be really cool to use these weapons against Hexen enemies. Anyone know if there is a mod out there that adds Hexen's enemies into Heretic?
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Thanks guys. The gl is a LOT different to its quake original but its the best I could do and as it takes a bit of a back seat in this mod (replacing the gauntlets and all). I tend to find myself relying on the shotguns and nailguns to be honest, often forgetting the gl and RL are there till a big group or a boss like monsta is about. As I'm going back over this it might get a bit of an overhaul on some of these issues. Especially the whole lookspring thing everyone is obsessed with :roll:
kmxexii

Post by kmxexii »

Spoiler:
this made my day when i was doing a write-up for my review blog. it's interesting to see that you're going back and tweaking some things. the only real balance problem I had was running out of shells whenever I started a map from scratch. I'm not sure how I'd go about tweaking it, though. Maybe turn those single-shell pickups into double-shells? In any case I'm glad I haven't posted the review yet since you're still tweaking stuff.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”