[WIP] Zelda FPS (Alpha9) (Death Mountain Crater in ALTTP?)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AkumaKing

[WIP] Zelda FPS (Alpha9) (Death Mountain Crater in ALTTP?)

Post by AkumaKing »

Welcome, everyone, to the thread for my Zelda Iwad I'm working on.

The General Idea:

To recreate the world of Zelda in a FPS environment. Core overworld from ALTTP, new dungeon layouts, weapons from various Zelda games, some bonus weapons (end-game stuff), full support for co-op and deathmatch, etc.

If you are interested in this project and would like to help, please do so. I'll be sure to credit you in a text file inside the .pk3 if you do help out. (as well as in this post)

Current Version: Alpha9

Download

This file is meant to be loaded as an Iwad.
Since we're in alpha stages of progress, don't expect anything spectacular. When we're in beta, things will be much more polished and complete, and look more like a full game with stuff unfinished here and there.

Progress:
Spoiler:

If an aspect of an actor isn't credited, it means one of the following: 1. It's ripped from Zelda itself, 2. I made it, or 3. I forgot to credit the person who made that aspect.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Last edited by AkumaKing on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:40 am, edited 36 times in total.
TehRealSalt
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Zelda FPS (looking for spriters)

Post by TehRealSalt »

I may sprite a little bit; it depends though. Are you going for a more cartoony style, or a realistic one? I'm much better at making cartoony sprites. (edit: also ignore my purposely bad avatar)

Did a little playthrough, it's a pretty neat start you have. It feels difficult to hit people with the sword (it feels more like punching; needs a bigger range), and the boomerang isn't very testable because of the lack of sprites, though. Also I couldn't figure out which game you were supposed to load the test map with; Doom 2 made all objects appear, but caused the IoS explosion immediately, and Ult. Doom made some objects not work. Are you supposed to load it with Hexen or Heretic?
AkumaKing

Post by AkumaKing »

TehRealSalt wrote:I may sprite a little bit; it depends though. Are you going for a more cartoony style, or a realistic one? I'm much better at making cartoony sprites. (edit: also ignore my purposely bad avatar)

Did a little playthrough, it's a pretty neat start you have. It feels difficult to hit people with the sword (it feels more like punching; needs a bigger range), and the boomerang isn't very testable because of the lack of sprites, though. Also I couldn't figure out which game you were supposed to load the test map with; Doom 2 made all objects appear, but caused the IoS explosion immediately, and Ult. Doom made some objects not work. Are you supposed to load it with Hexen or Heretic?

I'm looking for a more cartoony style. After all, Zelda looks best with bright and easy-going colours, does it not?
Also, no, it is supposed to be loaded with Doom2. Could you go into more detail about these bugs?
Mainly, BTW, I need weapon hud and projectile sprites. Most tiles and icons can be directly ripped. (Which I've been doing since the original post)
TehRealSalt
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TehRealSalt »

Yeah, I figured it was Doom 2. I figured out that the IoS explosion was caused by the Mancubus immediately killing Romero. You should probably just move him away from Romero.

I feel like the sword doesn't feel like a "sword". As in, you have to be nudging your enemy to hit him; a sword should be able to hit from a good distance away (not a ridiculous distance, but still).

The boomerang, I'm not sure what's even happening when I use it. This is mostly just the lack of sprites, though. I can tell that the boomerang is hitting what I aim it at, but I can't tell if it's actually flying away, hitting the target, and then coming back, or if it's a hitscan-like attack. Also, it appears you can fire as many boomerangs as you want, even if the boomerang hasn't returned to you (if it even does).
AkumaKing

Post by AkumaKing »

Ah, now I see what you mean. Yeah, that map is just a test map someone I know put together in a matter of minutes, don't pay much attention to it. (Hell, I think I even named it TEST01)

As for the sword, I guess I could try increasing the hitbox to make it easier to hit with.

As for the boomerang, I'll probably make a substitute sprite for testing and use the same sprite for any other spriteless projectiles I make. It'll probably be a bland square of sorts put together in Paint.
icelink256

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Zelda FPS (looking for spriters(?))

Post by icelink256 »

So, something like this, then?

Doom II seems like you'd be severly limiting yourself an awful lot with this.
Go with Hexen or Strife, and then we can talk. :wink:
AkumaKing

Post by AkumaKing »

I'm not really limiting myself when using Doom, because the same modding capabilities are there and I'll probably be rewriting the whole thing. I honestly could do it for any Iwad, I just chose Doom II since it's probably the most well known.

Either way, there won't be many limits since what I'm aiming for is practically a TC. I plan to have new maps, weapons, enemies, etc. However, for now I'm just focusing on getting sprites/textures while coding weapons and decorations. (Dem bushes be comin' with hearts and magic jars in 'em)

And, yes, something a little like that. Just with less of a hud and other various differences. BTW, those enemy sprites look rather good.
icelink256

Post by icelink256 »

Hmm... The IWAD doesn't overly restrict fancy scripting things, anymore? (such as hub transfers?) Interesting.
My apologies, I have not done Doom engine modding in a number of years!

Actually, that HUD was from a Dungeon Master clone I was programming a few months ago.
I just so happened to have been working on a Zelda III spriteset/wallset for it. So I figured to show it here.

Thanks! Those sprites actually have the exact same colour count as the originals! :shock:
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

If anything, Doom 2 is probably the least limited iwad to mod with/for.
AkumaKing

Re: [WIP] Unnamed Zelda FPS Mod

Post by AkumaKing »

Updated original post and file. I coded all the swords and the bow, ranged weapons now use a place-holder projectile, custom armor pickups added, swords do the same dash as would be done if you were using Pegasus Boots (consumes magic power), and made a bush. Also, made it easier to hit with the sword.

As for sprites/textures, I got as many icons as I could find over the net and put them in the spawn state of their respective weapons, added more walls/floors, added a water texture, and added a roof texture.

There should be enough textures here right now to make any of the following areas: A grass field, the area around Link's house, a desert, some river of sorts, the inside of a house.

Also, I tried resizing some textures and they ended up a bit fuzzy. And, there still aren't any textures for Hyrule Castle or any of the dungeons since I've been focusing on the overworld textures and making the weapons more presentable.

Once again, any help is appreciated. Even feedback on the weapons.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Idea for sprites: Try something simple at first, like using GB/NES sprites. For diagonals, use the side view instead of front/back.
AkumaKing

Post by AkumaKing »

@Tsuki
Yeah, that'd probably be wise. However, I'll probably, instead of NES esque sprites, use ones from the SNES games.

BTW, anyone have thoughts about having weapons and items stepping slightly out of canon? I already did it with the Sword dash being available from the start instead of needing Pegasus Boots and the Lantern acting like Hexen's torch.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

No problem, Akuma. After all, SNES doesn't really uses diagonal sprites either. Instead of Sword Dash, I'd recommend Jump Slash or Lunge (Stinger in Devil May Cry). That leaves a space for Pegasus Boost to become useful in combination with sword. For functional shields, check Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch's Protoman.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

This is something that has been attempted at atleast twice in the past, hopefully this one will see completion. Google Zelda DOOM and ZelDOOM.

Also, this could be useful: http://noproblo.dayjo.org/ZeldaSounds/LOZ/index.html
Doom Juan

Post by Doom Juan »

Might I propose the use of hub-levels for this project: perhaps a main map for the world map, which will then lead to other maps such as interiors/dungeons/etc.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”