Vile Shatters. Map Pack work! [WIP] Wanna map?

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hege Cactus

Re: Vile Shatters. Map Pack work! [WIP] Wanna map?

Post by Hege Cactus »

Progress report time

Map 33; Magic! is now about 85% done
Only things needed now are the boss battle rooms and one more boss to code and its all ready to go.
Which means there will be new update out, yayyy. Hopefully this weekend.

Map 02 remake is progressing slowly, nukage labyrinths underway, the good old archvile imp encounter has been.. prepared.

Randomized fun time!

Starting from map 2, and maybe 3, then seen later on in maps 8 and later, there will be a little... rng element.
Sometimes a normal enemy might spawn a bit more, stronger variant of themselves. Maybe a shadow version? Maybe not?
Sometimes it might spawn a golden "blessed" version of itself that is also stronger but always drops a goodie.
And sometimes... if you're really unlucky, it might spawn a hell's chosen champion of that enemy type. Yikes.

I will be testing the randomizer a bit but it should not effect any mods as I will not be using replacer. These randomizers are also rather sparingly used so there won't be hell's chosen champions everywhere.
Stronk versions might be more common tho so don't be surprised if that shotgunner suddenly acts more.. prepared.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Progress and overhaul: Welcome to die edition.

With some more huff huff and puff away I have began to polish up excisting maps by adding little ambient sounds here and there, tho, scarcely and carefully.
I also decided to work with some fog effects and the like by cherry picking a bit in hexen's fine plate of material, gosh how much of the little details within I have never noticed.
with this I should get mood up in some maps a bit more.

The randomizer as mentioned in earlier post also gets more implementation around the older maps, tho it will mostly only target former humen so far. So far.

There will be also some more polish up and place holder removal in work.

With map 02 being about 80% done and map 33 Magic! now only needing the bosses to be polished up (and for me to find my damn usb stick where i have this map at >:C) this next update oughta get bit big
So yeah, december is gona be the month I hope to get this update out.

As you reach Map 10, In Thee Madness, you are at end of episode 1.
11+ will be episode 2 in which I will hope to take more... lorecraftian grasp on the map and mood. (map makers are still welcome if intrest)
If you have noticed some of my posts in the WIP topics you might guess what you might be up against.

So yeah report done.
Once I get this polish round done imma update the screenies a bit.
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

I like your frost areas, very nicely done!
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Unholypimpin wrote:I like your frost areas, very nicely done!
They are gona be nicer when I get a good sound world for them for the moods

Various little screen shots of test things and the additional little things

With added fog effects the ice areas actually got a little more life too.
I think I oughta need to make more ice maps. Frozen areas are hell load of fun to make and seem to succeed better than my other map styles.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Yet Another Early Release Is Ready
Download

New stuff:
-Map 02 remade.
-Map 07 Frozen Bones
-Map 33 Magic!
-Shotgun Enemy Randomizer from map 02 and up.
-Enviromental Sounds.

Map 02 remake has a lot of similiarities to the original map 02, but also a lot more prettier differences. Generally, the toxic work theme is still there and nukage for everyone.
Map 07 frozen bones been ready for a long while but now its out for its full dash of snow. Just in time before christmas too. ho ho ho
Map 33 will make you hate wizards. And its probably my most... eventful map so far. Should you find a way to access it on map 06, should frozen bones feel a bit more easier to complete.

Regardless, a release is a release.
If there are bugs, errors, or other feedback please let me know.

Once I get all the episode 1 maps done I could work on making some pretty intro texts and other little print texts here and there for the maps to make em seem bit more polished.
Regardless, phew. Happy happy.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Bugfix time for this release:

Map02;
-The pump room before the final fight was bit bland. Fixed.

Map 04:
-Mysterious "!" now spawns the correct monster.

Map33 issues;
-Magic imps should now show their face instead of a giant floating ! mark
-Barrel toss boss learned to talk and banter and his barrel toss actually blows up
-His room is also more spacey and theres no more tons of questionable mountain wallpapers.

To save space I decided to wrap this up into a pk3, only for space saving tho.

Download
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

I like the changes on map 2 but there is a few bugs

1 - Some monsters spawn as "!" instead of spawning correctly - there is only 2 "!" on the entire map so my guess is it's a really rare enemy.

Screenshot - it's where the blue key is

2 - The exit doesn't work - maybe the red mark line is backward or too far for the player to reach it.

No other bug noticed, those are the only one i found so far. I haven't played the other maps yet but don't worry i'll play them :D
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Oh shit, I wonder what caused that not spawning bug again. Time to wrap up and dig up those decorates again..
I am also bit ??? on the exit not working, it worked on my testings but I'll fix that up by moving it closer even more then.

Edit: Found it
They were spawners using the old ID of the randomizer. Will be fixed on next release.

In other news;

game over technician players, go home.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

Do you like to play with fire?
I'm sure you do.

This incoming map is gona also have a new completely unrelated medium tier enemy that will make your world feel more warm underneath the frozen landscapes.
He's a bit hard to see in the screenies
but once you meet him you'll understand where to point the shotgun at
Endless123

Post by Endless123 »

Something tells me i'm gonna get burn when i'll play your next release... or i'll get a warn welcome :lol:

Looking forward to play it :)
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

They just want to light up the party, thats all.

let it snow~

In other news messing around with decorate I made a little more attempted realistic snow effect
Tho I am using bit sparingly, In my early tries to make a heavy snowing, the spawners killed the frame rate to snail crawl.
Currently one spawner alone can make quite large areas snow quite nicely and with sparing use the frame rate doesnt dive, but I might make a "KILL ALL SNOW" button just incase.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

So this has been bit slower on progress than expected cause I've been not really at my 100% lately, but still some progress report:

-Map 08 is about 80% done now. Just need to finish the final area.
-Map 03 remake is slowly underway, it will hopefully be lot more impressive than the older one. It will have a lot of pipes and cybie's stalking days fun
-Map 09 is slowly progressing, and it will be using bit of underground bunker/base theme, but with more science, and a lot of nasty things and lot of speed. It's not called Fear Run for nothing.
-Map 10 is currently on hold till I get the boss sprites ready and certain decorations to look better aswell.

Older maps are going to get some polishing up a little bit and I'll aim to add some pointers on less obvious stuff now that I learned to use hud messages and basic scripting enough to make mechanics easier

Some map 08 screenies:
Iook ma, fancy level start message!
Ooh ancient temple
So old it could be said to be ruins
Yeah lets go with ruins

Deepest ends however has something that you might not expect to find from an ancient ruins.
Something very amusing even.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

map 08 is now done apart from some balance testing and tweaking.
However I am not gona release yet cause I need to finish another map first or otherwise there might be some.. broken thingies.
Not to mention I am going to do some balance patching and reworking some older enemies to become bit more enjoyable to play with, such as giving the older marines some polishing up.
Otherwise yeah, I'm hoping that once I get that other map done I'll be finishing final pre release and afterwards I could do an actualy episode 1 release.

Regardless I'm still also looking for people intrested in mapping for episode 2 & 3 (map slots 12 and above), I've actually done a somewhat properly categorisized decorate/resource mesh up.
Any sort of bugs, errors, critisimn on the maps so far are also still very welcome.

However following fixes are already in:
Map01: You can actually now reach the soul sphere secret and trigger it properly, earlier it had a weird thing blocking it that went unnoticed
Map02: There has been fixes for the texture use in the vat as there were akwardness when going towards the finish. There has also been a few clarifications for the ending as appereantly some people didnt figure the vat actually empties
Map07: Some line defs that used to block the player no longer block the player, allowing you to move bit less akwardly around the map on spots that you could normally figure to drop down from.
MAP31: you should no longer be able to go through the iron bars in the triple teleporter place.
Enemy changes:
-Crazy Sentinel Snipers got nerfed a bit, they now fire slower and deal 1 point less damage per pellet.
-Shadow Soul gained a nerf also it can now actually be hit with projectiles but also gained an intresting buff to make up for it, dont leave em hanging about.
-Some of the randomizer enemies also have gained little nerfs here and there.
-The crazy marines are gona gain tweaking to make em bit less boring.

Return to “Levels”