So I did a thing.
Hocusdoom is an attempt to bring this crazy baked idea to reality
Link to Doomworld page
[===== Download: =====]
Requires the latest version of GzDoom and Doom 2.
Current playable demo for 08-05-2014
Mp3 versions of music
MusicallyInspired from Doomworld awesomely has made an SC-55 music pack of Hocus Pocus. It is compatible with Hocus Doom! Give it a try!
[===== Changelog: =====]
changelog for - 08-05-14
- added map06
- fixed a bug where enemy health bars wouldn't work after loading a savegame
- Fixed Progress screens, both when you win a level, and when you die. Now you can't interrupt the death window by pressing a key. Also, they fade out properly now. Unfortunately now there's an issue with the camera spawning inside walls.
- Updated decorate and scripts for Monk bosses
- Fixed a bug where when you restart a level after dying you retain upgrade shots.
- Health Potions give 1 heart instead of 3. Added Big Health Potions that give 3 instead.
- Reorganized decorate lumps so that when I start the other episodes it won't be as confusing.
- Due to the way the death script works, I had to fix a bug where you'd keep your score after death. obviously your score should reset to where it was when you first entered the level.
- Made the Iron Key darker to differentiate from the Silver Key
- Fixed a minor issue where the teasure checker wouldn't reset if there was more treasure spawned after you found everything.
- added map07
- added frames and changed how bosses work (won't be seen until map09 anyway)
- (debating: do I change mapnames to ExMx format?)
- made player projectiles wider to make shooting enemies easier. (is it too wide now?)
- added decorations for Moon Castle levels.
changelog for - 05-21-2014
- New sprites for Lightning Spell
- Added new enemy - Tengu
- Added Map05
- Fixed some issues with Wizard talk. Still waiting for new changes to TimeFreeze to fix music not playing
- Did some more work for the Full-screen hud
- Added to the huds a background meter for your max number of shots
- Changed Power Shot. Instead of doing 10 damage to one enemy, now splits into 10 lightning shits.
- Changed Hard difficulty. Monsters now have 1.5 health and their shots do twice as much damage.
- Added secret difficulty. Rage mode ensues.
- Power Shot gives 20 shots instead of 10
- Splitter Shot gives 30 shots instead of 20
- Homing shots gives 40 instead of 50
- More work with the Power Wand. Shots do the same damage as regular, but recharge time is faster and autofires.
- cosmetic changes to some actors.
- I don't know if I want to have backers to Wizard conversations, but I thought I'd try them out anyway. They don't look half bad, actually.
- Changed the par time for map04 to something more sensible. Probably not possible to get EVERYTHING in 300 seconds. Someone prove me wrong.
- Completely remade the font and moved item strings to language.enu
- Monsters now play their sound at full volume regardless of where you are
- Monsters deaths are more satisfying now. They really do *POP* :P
- Made the radius for player shots larger so that they hit enemies easier. also made them slightly homing.
- Toying with autofire. The main spell weapon won't have autofire, but is more responsive.
- The Power Wand WILL have autofire though.
- Hitting enemies will give you a point of recharge. Now rewards you for getting into the fray by letting you shoot faster when up close.
- Cleaning up various scripts that I haven't touched in years.
- Fixed an issue with the fireball prematurely detonating on breakable blocks. Works fine now!
- Added the Super Jump Potion. Thanks Kate! -Unavoidable issue where landing on a bridge or breakable block won't cancel glitter effect.
- Help page updated to reflect new Power Wand
- Moved music in _mp3 into a folder to alleviate some hotloading issues
[===== Screenshots: =====]
[===== Map progress: =====]
Episode 1: Time Tripping
Map 01: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 02: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 03: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 04: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 05: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 06: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 07: Finished, needs minor polishing
Map 08: Placeholder, not finished
Map 09: Placeholder, not finished
Map 10: Placeholder, not finished
Episode 2: Shattered Worlds
Map 11: Not Started
Map 12: Not Started
Map 13: Not Started
Map 14: Not Started
Map 15: Not Started
Map 16: Not Started
Map 17: Not Started
Map 18: Not Started
Map 19: Not Started
Map 20: Not Started
Episode 3: Warped and Weary
Map 21: Not Started
Map 22: Not Started
Map 23: Not Started
Map 24: Not Started
Map 25: Not Started
Map 26: Not Started
Map 27: Not Started
Map 28: Not Started
Map 29: Not Started
Map 30: Not Started
Episode 4: Destination: Home
Map 31: Not Started
Map 32: Not Started
Map 33: Not Started
Map 34: Not Started
Map 35: Not Started
Map 36: Not Started
Map 37: Not Started
Map 38: Not Started
Map 39: Not Started
Map 40: Not Started
[===== Features: =====]
Hocusdoom will have relatively the same features as the original Hocus Pocus. You complete maps by collecting all available crystals. However, you can find red crystals that let you warp to secret maps at the end of the level. You are awarded points for finding treasure, killing enemies, and completing each map within a time limit.
Rapid Fire Bottle - Fire shots lightning-fast (pardon the pun.) Will go through extra ammo just as quickly.
Extra Lightning Bolt - Lets you fire lightning bolts faster. Find 10 to shoot lickety split!
Fireball Bottle - Gives 3 shots that will obliterate and pass through any baddie. Bosses are a bit tougher but will still go through them!
Power Shot - Gives 10 shots that will kill any lesser monster. Does 10 damage to bosses.
Splitter Shot - Gives 20 shots. Shoot 3 lightning bolts at a time.
Homing Shot - Gives 50 homing shots. Lowest priority.
Power Wand - Completely replaces your original weapon with a more powerful variant. Other powerups will work the same as before--only more powerful. Lasts for the rest of the level.
Jump Potion - Lets you jump super high. Only useable once.
Teleport Bottle - Warps you to another area of the map. Only useable once.
Rubies - 100 points
Diamonds - 250 points
Golden Goblets - 500 points
Opals - 750 points
Emeralds - 750 points
Golden Crowns - 1000 points
Golden Ankhs - 1500 points
Crystal - 1000 points. Needed to finish a level.
Red Crystal - 10000 points and access to a secret level!
All powerups give 1000 points
[===== Help Needed: =====]
While I don't mind doing most everything by myself, there is one thing I could use help with--enemy sprites. I can use the original sprites for side views, but I need front and back views for them. If anyone would like to help, I'll provide a spritesheet that you can use as a base, to keep everything consistent.
What I'd love to do is have some sort of permanent inter-game scoreboard, but I don't think that's currently possible.
Apogee Software for Hocus Pocus
iD Software for Doom
Raven Software for Shadowcaster