What would happen if Hocus Pocus was a fps rather than a sidescroller? Inquiring minds wanted to know!
So I did a thing.
Hocusdoom is an attempt to bring this crazy baked idea to reality
It is a mashing sidescroller turned 3d!
Link to Doomworld page
[===== Download: =====]
Requires the latest version of GzDoom and Doom 2.
Current playable demo for 03-07-2016
Mp3 versions of music
MusicallyInspired awesomely has made an SC-55 music pack of Hocus Pocus. It is compatible with Hocus Doom! Give it a try!
[===== Changelog: =====]
- nerfed monster trap on map11. forgot to when I nerfed the rapid fire powerup.
- implemented some actual difficulty levels. Monsters on HARD don't have as much health, but will still do more damage, and will be more of them. EASY won't be quite as pushovery either. ULTRA will still fuck you. Sorry, not sorry.
- rapid powerup no longer uses powered shots, thus encouraging you to fire freely without wasting ammo
- updated music entries so intermission music resets on new level (it wouldn't reset if it had the same music as map)
- added map16
- started map17
- started map18
- started map19
- added collapsing bridge actors
- new sounds for lava terrain and fire-related actors
- added option to disable the intro help screen
- removed the vertical sprites from player shots as they weren't working properly.
- fixed some minor lighting issues in previously finished maps
- cleaned up some old textures
- added +NOGRAVITY to upwards fire jet
- completely remade map10 with new enemies
changelog for - 09-08-2015
- updated switch textures (they were badly scaled placeholders from an older era)
- added map12
- added snow effects on maps map05 and map06
- added options menu to disable or reduce excess weather particles
- more reorganization of decorate scripts
- added fog for some maps
- removed +SOLID flag for icy rocks. God they were annoying.
- added options to disable enemy health bars (or show numbers instead)
- added map13
- added map14
- added laser shot powerup (uses fastprojectile; railgun attack isn't ideal)
- made all player shots slightly faster (feels better)
- added a bunch of little decorative flowers/grass to fill out levels a bit.
- added secret weapon for a secret level
- added GAMEINFO lump to change startup colors and title
- added map15
- updated mapinfo and language to add formatting to level names
- stable teleports are now a thing! these rifts don't dissapear like teleport potions
- increased the damage radius of fireballs to make them more effective.
- changed icy water in the Ice levels damage from 5 to 1
- finished map08
- finished map09
- added several new models & decorations for maps 13 & 14
- finally fixed the scrolling secret gem platform in map04 (after forgetting to fix it several updates in a row)
- nerfed the ambush to the crystal above the bridge in map06. It was too annoying.
- made Egg Dragons shoot only one egg instead of 1-3, since they're severely powerful
- also made the fire shots from eggs affected by gravity.
changelog for - 02-02-15
- made player shots smaller so you could shoot alongside walls easier
- added better support for althud, thanks to Gez
- changes to map01 and map02 to make them a little easier (also map02 had no mushroom chargers)
- lowered weapon sprites so they didn't obstruct your view too much
- made power shot sprites smaller for the same reason (they should stay fairly large though)
- added speed/jump boost floors
- fixed some minor things in most of the maps
- used a different method for the ladders in map10. No longer uses swimmable 3d floors (no way around reverb effect and using ThrustThingZ works better)
- changed weapon sprites yet again. Not quite as in the way now (and is almost pointing now)
- made the rapidfire less powerful (overlapping shots). In turn nerfed many mass ambush areas to compensate. They're not as grindy anymore.
- Super Health Potions will now give you 20 health (with sbarinfo updated to represent it as gold hearts atop of the red hearts :D
- Heart icons updated to be less ugly
- added +GHOST to monsters and +THRUGHOST to projectiles so now they are no longer impeded by other monsters. (like in the original game)
- added the 10 story pages. Put them at the end of the help screens because I don't know if you can define a totally separate set of help pages
changelog for - 01-24-15
- Completely redid map06. No longer lags and flows much better.
- added map07
- started map08 (Not finished)
- started map09 (Not finished)
- added map10
- added map11 (episode 2)
- added sprites and mechanics for hocus player. (jumping animation works too!)
- changed projectiles for Power Wand again. The blue and Red just didn't feel right.
- Fixed floor check for the jump potion particles. Should work now. (a bit goofy if you hit a ceiling)
- New weapon sprites to match the toony look.
- Made Monsters return to their original position when they despawn
- Reverted monster returning because it doesn't work yet.
- added some E2 enemies (blackbeast, mummy, bat)
- added some E3 enemies (secret enemies)
- added A_SentinelBob to flying monsters to see how they work (works nicely)
- added sound variants for power/rapid fire weapons
- added some secret stuff
- added textures and decorations for Egypt and Night 2 sets
- Reworked how bosses work. They should despawn and reset the boss health bar scripts fine now.
changelog for - 08-05-14
- added map06
- fixed a bug where enemy health bars wouldn't work after loading a savegame
- Fixed Progress screens, both when you win a level, and when you die. Now you can't interrupt the death window by pressing a key. Also, they fade out properly now. Unfortunately now there's an issue with the camera spawning inside walls.
- Updated decorate and scripts for Monk bosses
- Fixed a bug where when you restart a level after dying you retain upgrade shots.
- Health Potions give 1 heart instead of 3. Added Big Health Potions that give 3 instead.
- Reorganized decorate lumps so that when I start the other episodes it won't be as confusing.
- Due to the way the death script works, I had to fix a bug where you'd keep your score after death. obviously your score should reset to where it was when you first entered the level.
- Made the Iron Key darker to differentiate from the Silver Key
- Fixed a minor issue where the teasure checker wouldn't reset if there was more treasure spawned after you found everything.
- added map07
- added frames and changed how bosses work (won't be seen until map09 anyway)
- (debating: do I change mapnames to ExMx format?)
- made player projectiles wider to make shooting enemies easier. (is it too wide now?)
- added decorations for Moon Castle levels.
changelog for - 05-21-2014
- New sprites for Lightning Spell
- Added new enemy - Tengu
- Added Map05
- Fixed some issues with Wizard talk. Still waiting for new changes to TimeFreeze to fix music not playing
- Did some more work for the Full-screen hud
- Added to the huds a background meter for your max number of shots
- Changed Power Shot. Instead of doing 10 damage to one enemy, now splits into 10 lightning shits.
- Changed Hard difficulty. Monsters now have 1.5 health and their shots do twice as much damage.
- Added secret difficulty. Rage mode ensues.
- Power Shot gives 20 shots instead of 10
- Splitter Shot gives 30 shots instead of 20
- Homing shots gives 40 instead of 50
- More work with the Power Wand. Shots do the same damage as regular, but recharge time is faster and autofires.
- cosmetic changes to some actors.
- I don't know if I want to have backers to Wizard conversations, but I thought I'd try them out anyway. They don't look half bad, actually.
- Changed the par time for map04 to something more sensible. Probably not possible to get EVERYTHING in 300 seconds. Someone prove me wrong.
- Completely remade the font and moved item strings to language.enu
- Monsters now play their sound at full volume regardless of where you are
- Monsters deaths are more satisfying now. They really do *POP* :P
- Made the radius for player shots larger so that they hit enemies easier. also made them slightly homing.
- Toying with autofire. The main spell weapon won't have autofire, but is more responsive.
- The Power Wand WILL have autofire though.
- Hitting enemies will give you a point of recharge. Now rewards you for getting into the fray by letting you shoot faster when up close.
- Cleaning up various scripts that I haven't touched in years.
- Fixed an issue with the fireball prematurely detonating on breakable blocks. Works fine now!
- Added the Super Jump Potion. Thanks Kate! -Unavoidable issue where landing on a bridge or breakable block won't cancel glitter effect.
- Help page updated to reflect new Power Wand
- Moved music in _mp3 into a folder to alleviate some hotloading issues
[===== Screenshots: =====]
[===== Features: =====]
Hocusdoom will have relatively the same features as the original Hocus Pocus. You complete maps by collecting all available crystals. However, you can find red crystals that let you warp to secret maps at the end of the level. You are awarded points for finding treasure, killing enemies, and completing each map within a time limit.
Rapid Fire Bottle - Fire shots lightning-fast (pardon the pun.) Will go through extra ammo just as quickly.
Extra Lightning Bolt - Lets you fire lightning bolts faster. Find 10 to shoot lickety split!
Fireball Bottle - Gives 3 shots that will obliterate and pass through any baddie. Bosses are a bit tougher but will still go through them!
Power Shot - Gives 20 shots that will kill any lesser monster. Does 10 damage to bosses.
Splitter Shot - Gives 20 shots. Shoot 3 lightning bolts at a time.
Homing Shot - Gives 50 homing shots. Lowest priority.
Power Wand - Completely replaces your original weapon with a more powerful variant. Other powerups will work the same as before--only more powerful. Lasts for the rest of the level.
Jump Potion - Lets you jump super high. Only useable once.
Teleport Bottle - Warps you to another area of the map. Only useable once.
Rubies - 100 points
Diamonds - 250 points
Golden Goblets - 500 points
Opals - 750 points
Emeralds - 750 points
Golden Crowns - 1000 points
Golden Ankhs - 1500 points
Crystal - 1000 points. Needed to finish a level.
Red Crystal - 10000 points and access to a secret level!
All powerups give 1000 points
[===== Help Needed: =====]
While I don't mind doing most everything by myself, there is one thing I could use help with--enemy sprites. I can use the original sprites for side views, but I need front and back views for them. If anyone would like to help, I'll provide a spritesheet that you can use as a base, to keep everything consistent.
What I'd love to do is have some sort of permanent inter-game scoreboard, but I don't think that's currently possible.
Apogee Software for Hocus Pocus
iD Software for Doom
Raven Software for Shadowcaster