[3DGE] Doom Forever (happy new year!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
VGA

Re: DOOM Forever (music patch 06/21 & update 06/30!)

Post by VGA »

Hehe, the visor is a few pixels off, here it is on my PC, 1680x1050 (16:10)
Spoiler:
EDIT: Dying to self-shrapnel from shotgun shows the correct obituary. Same thing with gatling gun shows generic player was killed message. :mrgreen:
EDIT2: No, some times it shows the "flying shrapnel message", sometimes just the "player was killed"
VGA

Post by VGA »

I changed this

Code: Select all

X_OFFSET=107;
and it looks fine on my 1680x1050 res:
Spoiler:
YAY ! :wub:

I like that new imp death, too. He just silently ... stoically stays there with his face half-gone. :cry:

Also, I recently realized I've been playing doom1 mods, so I haven't seen the SSG replacement yet. Holy shit :geek:
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

VGA wrote:Hehe, the visor is a few pixels off, here it is on my PC, 1680x1050 (16:10)
Spoiler:
The NV HUD will have to do for now, it should work on most screens.
VGA wrote:EDIT: Dying to self-shrapnel from shotgun shows the correct obituary. Same thing with gatling gun shows generic player was killed message. :mrgreen:
EDIT2: No, some times it shows the "flying shrapnel message", sometimes just the "player was killed"
You will either die from the flying shrapnel or a ricocheting bullet if you're too close to the wall. They are two separate attacks.

Next update will see some big differences. The dual pistols will be scrapped and replaced with a rifle, both the pistol and rifle reload, zombieman changed back to its stock rifle counterpart and many other small tweaks and new features. The rifle will have zoom capability, though EDGE's zoom feature isn't very good.
VGA

Post by VGA »

But .. but the dual pistols are awesome :-)

Also, have you thought about doing some non-intrusive enhancements like smooth animated textures for example? Borrowing stuff from the various Doom beautification projects?

On another note, going through episode 3 of 2002:A Doom Odyssey 10th year anniversary edition I stumbled into this:
Spoiler:
I was a bit tired and didn't investigate if it's 3DGE's fault, the map's fault or Doom Forever's :?
Also, at another point a little platform with a blue key was supposed to go down but the key stayed floating in the air. Thankfully I got on the platform and it raised me onto the key.

Another very minor glitch is that this ammobox never disappeared:
Spoiler:
Maybe you can use that megawad during testing?
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file= ... 02ad10.zip
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

The dual pistols turned out very well, better than I thought they would. However, whenever I play I find that I never really use them. Technically they aren't all that different from the normal pistol, only a tiny bit faster rate of fire and less accurate. With the new version the single pistol is a little faster while the rifle is both much more powerful and accurate but considerable slower. This makes both these weapons more useful and handy in certain situations and areas.

As with the floating item bug, this is more of an issue with EDGE. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly when and why this happens but it appears to be a little random. I seem to be able to fix this problem with some items but not others, with no rhyme or reason why it is.

If the ammo box remains open that means there is still ammo left to pick up, provided you haven't already reached your maximum capacity. Like the box of shotgun shells, the ammo box is technically split into two parts.

I will certainly give that megawad a go.
VGA

Post by VGA »

Hmm, I find the current single pistol really fast, it slows down demons :-)
I find the chaingun to be extremely inefficient, though, it *burns* through bullets without doing enough damage to justify that, still I always use it instead of pistols, so I guess there's something wrong there.

I got a couple of questions, isn't berserk supposed to last the whole map, even after the red screen effect ends? I've noticed I lose the super punching damage...
Also, why do cacodemons sometimes not do any damage even though they hit me? (Unless they sometimes do armor damage, I've just noticed the health stays the same)
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

VGA wrote:Hmm, I find the current single pistol really fast, it slows down demons :-)
Will be a little faster still with next release but also need to reload after 20 shots.
VGA wrote:I find the chaingun to be extremely inefficient, though, it *burns* through bullets without doing enough damage to justify that, still I always use it instead of pistols, so I guess there's something wrong there.
Chaingun has been beefed up a little. Next release.
VGA wrote:I got a couple of questions, isn't berserk supposed to last the whole map, even after the red screen effect ends? I've noticed I lose the super punching damage...
In Vanilla the berserk lasts the duration of the map, however this has always seemed weird to me. In DOOM Forever I had to give it a time-limit, to compensate I made the fists even beefier when in berserk mode.
VGA wrote:Also, why do cacodemons sometimes not do any damage even though they hit me? (Unless they sometimes do armor damage, I've just noticed the health stays the same)
I've noticed this too, must be a glitch with EDGE itself.

BTW, which map did you encounter the floating shotgun shells?
VGA

Post by VGA »

CeeJay wrote:BTW, which map did you encounter the floating shotgun shells?
E3M2 of 2002:ADO 10th anniversary
There was also some weirdness with a blue key staying in place when its pedestal comes down, like I mentioned earlier. Seemed like a bug, didn't test thoroughly.
CeeJay

Re: DOOM Forever updated and possibly finalized 07/29

Post by CeeJay »

"Turning an already awesome game into an even more awesome game."

New update 07/29 and possibly final

* Cleaned-up texture: W105_1 (there was some garbage at the bottom)
* New better firing sound for the Super Shotgun
* Dual Pistols scrapped and replaced with Rifle, complete with scope (use 'zoom' button)
* Zombieman changed back to its original rifle counterpart
* Reloading for both the Pistol and Rifle
* Adjustments and new additions to the HUD
* The Cyberdemon now launches a homing missile at the end of its attack cycle. Makes for a little more interesting battle.
* A random assortment of marine corpses

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/m30uj ... ver118.zip
Coraline

Re: DOOM Forever updated and possibly finalized 07/29

Post by Coraline »

I should let everyone know that the latest package of DOOM Forever contains the now deprecated 3DGE 1.36E. Upgrading to the final version of 1.36 will remedy bugs, and issues like music playback (therefore saving disk space by skipping the music wad pack CeeJay linked to).

This is still one of the funnest wads I've ever played that enhances, without destroying (*cough* Brutal Doom), the Vanilla experience.
CeeJay

Re: DOOM Forever (a few touch-ups)

Post by CeeJay »

New update 11/05/2014

* A couple of new sound effects
* Outdated version of 3DGE no longer included with the package
* Improved reloading animation for the pistol
* Barrels now do more damage
* Faster/smoother text crawl
* DOOM 1: No intermission at the end of boss levels (E1M8, E2M8...)
* CREDITS.TXT replaced with a proper text document
VGA

Re: DOOM Forever (a few touch-ups)

Post by VGA »

This is the second best gameplay modification after Smooth Doom for me. Doom4ever is more impressive but Smooth Doom gets extra points because it's vanilla gameplay so whatever I'm playing is balanced as the author intended. (Also, it's easier, goddamn ricochets and torches sapping my health, arrgghhhh)

When it's time to test uncapped framerate in 3DGE, I will bring the pain with this mod and some beefy caco-awarded megawad, fuck yeah...
CeeJay

Re: DOOM Forever (update and YouTube video)

Post by CeeJay »

New update 11/27/2014

* Randomly spawned set of large trees
* Clip Counter on the HUD for the Super Shotgun
* More Blood feature disabled
* Some much needed edits to the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind
* Push sound for the barrel
* Lots and lots of minor tweaks and improvements

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/u6hfj ... ver120.zip

And here is some gameplay footage (with commentary) by Amaranthus616;
jimbob

Re: DOOM Forever (update and YouTube video)

Post by jimbob »

One of my favorite NOT zdoom projects. :) Will you ever fix the widescreen unfriendly nightvision? Maybe you can remove the googles overlay completly?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”