{WIP} Castledoom(or doomvania)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

{WIP} Castledoom(or doomvania)

Post by xenoxols »

Hello, I have created a castlevania mod out of combine_kegan's "GMOTA"
Currently there are 4 subweapons, holy water, dagger, axe, and stopwatch.
All of them more or less act like they do in a classic castlevania title.
Whip upgrades are implemented. Zoom does nothing now.
Now only updated for heretic.
There are now torches!
Using the whip makes you stop.
Some enemies are replaced.
There is no blood(Like old castlevania games), so enemies explode when they die.
I have updated the whip animation, and added an idle frame.
There is now a hexen version, which is considerably more like a metroidvania.
There Are now new whip sprites!(Thanks HornetZero, they look amazing)
Hexen version now actually works, and a skeleton replaces the ettin.
In the hexen version there are now health upgrades which replace armor.(Execpt the falcon shield actually gives you a rib. Or is it a shield?)
Fixed some weirdness with the whip animations and refiring
In the hexen version, I have slightly changed the life bar(don't be alarmed when it doesn't fill up all the way at first), and somewhat fixed health upgrades.(Sorta.)
The heretic version now has you always pick up hearts and subweapons. There are also new holy water sprites thanks to hornetzero.
Heretic version now has whip flailing and fixed holy water icon.
Fixed some sprites and added whip flailing to hexen version.
Richter Belmont is in the Heretic version now. No item crashes yet though.
Item crashes are now in the heretic version.
Added flame whip for simon in Heretic.(I'll update the Hexen version eventually.)
Hexen:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6bfnx ... ehexen.pk3
Heretic:
https://www.mediafire.com/?326zg17fnttx9c2
Doom:(old)
https://www.mediafire.com/?03r7gxe7gwf0h8w
Screenies:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Credits:
Jaxoon R
Blox
BlueShadow
HornetZero
Combine_kegan
Konami
marty kirra
raven
id
Eriance
Dreadopp
Sandypaper
Monolith
Virtue
NeoWorm
Last edited by xenoxols on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:06 am, edited 31 times in total.
ArchXeno

Re: {WIP} Castledoom(or doomvania)

Post by ArchXeno »

The animation for the whip is pretty choppy.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

I know, but I cant find any decent sprites for it. Besides it's smoother than in most castlevania games.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Did you get permission from the author of GMOTA to do this?
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

wildweasel wrote:Did you get permission from the author of GMOTA to do this?
He did. Though I told him to take this and make it a standalone kinda thing. Didn't expect him to release it so soon when things are still so unfinished, I have no problems with him using the code and all that, but I was hoping he'd find his own sprites and make his own HUD. So I'm not very happy he's already releasing this when so much of it is still from my mod.

He also borked my name twice over when it's right in front of him but that's just a personal nitpick
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

sorry combine_kegan(I think I spelled it right). Sorry about releasing it so early. The reason I did so was mostly because I needed community feedback, and also It was actually almost complete. I wanted it to be faithful to the old old castlevania games, such as super castlevania 4(my favorite), and most of whats in the games weapon wise is here. All I really need to do is implement whip upgrades, add the holy cross weapon, and a custom hud(I'm gonna need help with that one).
EDIT: About the sprites, yours are the ONLY ones I could find with rotations(subweapons) The pickups will be replaced in the next release.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

i guess that since most of the weapons are quiet ones, you should remove any way enemies will react when they are use, and i supoce the only one that will make monster react will be the holy water since when the cristal hit the florr make noise.

about the wip that attack sprite may need to be change for one that make a fordward animation since the actual one seems more like the player is hiting himself with it
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

xenoxols wrote:sorry combine_kegan(I think I spelled it right). Sorry about releasing it so early. The reason I did so was mostly because I needed community feedback, and also It was actually almost complete. I wanted it to be faithful to the old old castlevania games, such as super castlevania 4(my favorite), and most of whats in the games weapon wise is here. All I really need to do is implement whip upgrades, add the holy cross weapon, and a custom hud(I'm gonna need help with that one).
EDIT: About the sprites, yours are the ONLY ones I could find with rotations(subweapons) The pickups will be replaced in the next release.
Well you could have used the default HUD or something in the mean time, I also recommend using some different hands. try the gloved hands of Parias instead, there should be a large image of a bunch of different hands you can use.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Thanks for the advice, version with custom hud and NO GMOTA sprites will be uploaded soon.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Update! New version has custom castlevania hud, and all gmota sprites have been removed EXEPT for subweapons(I just cannot find suitable replacements for the axe and dagger).
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Update! There are now whip upgrades, and no more horrid looking lightning whip.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Update, redid whip upgrades, and added some enemy replacements(more to come).
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

why the holy water damage the player? and try to make enemies drop bigger hearts ;)
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Axe is way, way too powerful. If the gimmick is supposed to be that it's difficult to aim, our first problem is that, as an FPS, you can aim downwards and throw them straight forward. They kill the cyberdemon alarmingly quickly, and the mastermind even faster. Comparatively, the dagger and holy water are pitifully weak against either. Stopwatch or axe is mandatory for a cyberdemon.
On from balance issues, the whip looks really short. As it is, it's kind of laying across your face and doesn't look like it's actually reaching outwards.
Also, Combine Kegan's name is still spelled wrong.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Holy water will be buffed in next release(It's actually supposed to be really powerful), dagger is supposed to ONLY be useful for taking out weak enemies at long range. About the axe, I want it to be powerful but I want the ability to throw it forward out. Hmm... maybe making an actor spawn and imidietly throw the axe. That might just work.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”