{WIP} Castledoom(or doomvania)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jaxxoon R

Re: {WIP} Castledoom(or doomvania)

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Here we go, Dracula to the X!

I couldn't find any rips online, so I just fiddled around with Vinesauce's Rom Corrupter until the music didn't play so that I could record them from an emulator. Not a lot here, but these should be all the real important ones.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

Thanks, used some of those sounds. Finally fixed holywaters throwing and gave richter item crashes. Only the heretic version has been updated as of now.
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

That's great. Richter's whip positioning is just right and the holy water projectile is thrown as should be (although I take it that you weren't interested in having the bottle in the hand sprite for throwing it though. Personal preference?)

I must ask though. Why are you programming this in three different games (Hexen, Heretic and Doom) instead of one?

Also, a bit of a quirk though, but Richter wears brown gloves in his SOTN form and a fingerless gloves on the Rondo of Blood version. I have not seen him with blue sleeves and bare hands like this. Maybe I will attach the whip sprites to cleric's hands to give that look (although its your preference, since its your engine that is being worked on).

Lastly, just an offtopic question, but have you ever played Serio's Castlevania fighter for Mugen?
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

have any idea of making the huds based on the caracters? so richter and trevor have diferent ones and even give the subweapons diferent behave based on that too
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

I did include the bottle in the hand for simon, but it looks weird and I will probably take it out. Richter's sleeves are based off the god forsaken saturn port of SoTN. I never noticiced gloves on him in RoB or SoTN. I am programming this for 2 games, heretic and hexen(Doom support was dropped, but I might port it back.). Heretic is there for a classic castlevania experience, while the hexen version is supposed to resemble simon's quest. Also I was thinking of using the cleric's gloves for trevor. I have not played serio's castlevania fighter, although I have played many other fan games.(most notably the lecarde chronicles and simon's quest revamped.) I will try and include separate huds for different characters.(Although not anytime soon.)
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

Well that's great. I will be posting sprites every now and then in this thread. :D
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

New Chain whip improvement:

Out of the ones featured on the top, the main difference is the flail added in them. Each of them has been shaded differently to look good on Hexen/Heretic setting. The first one is shiny, while the other two are more in line with the gritty texture of the chain. Pick either of them.

At the bottom is.... something that may give you issues with the palette because its been rendered with a lot of colors. However, if you do manage to get that in, do let me know. I can also provide more frames if needed.

”Bwahahahaha! Magnificent, but now feel my unbridled wrath!”

Next to come, an improved version of the flail secondary attack with its burning state as well.

Lastly, can you tell me what is exactly wrong with the holy water flask holding sprite? why is it not working out?
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Thanks for the new sprites! I will probably just use true color for the flame whip. About the holy water, the first frame of the throw has the fist clenched, so the bottle just looks like it is floating behind the fist.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

So, toyed with the flame whip improvement above and...
(Software-rendering friendly)

(OGL-friendly)
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

Those are great Tsukiyomaru. Anyhow, the remaining burning chain whip sprites:

On the top are those ones that were missing from my previous sprite set for the primary attack. Since they go by fast in the animation, they don't really require the blazing flame visuals. Below are subsets are of improved flailing sprites with better perspective. The ones at the bottom are "burning" versions of those and the ones on the right column are of the Idle holster state, now with animated fire.
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Thanks, updated heretic with Simon being able to use the flame whip, and some sprite corrections.
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

Yes, now the whip perspective is perfect. The only other things that can improve this further are:

1, Using this attack frame only for the starting whip Simon has (the one that has no upgrades):

2, Fixing some collision checks. The whip needs a larger hit box for melee range enemies and adjustment on maximum length of whip range for distance between player and the tip of the whip.

This screenshot was taken from your recent release:

3, Adding higher quality sounds (You leave this to me). This isn't really necessary but I feel the best sounds for Castlevania are from this fan project:

http://cvbla.dimondsoft.com/

Do try it out. Its really good. The only thing I don't like about it is how cheap some enemies can be when the difficulty setting is set to hard.

That is all for now as far as the Vampire killer whip is concerned. I will be providing more content soon.
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

Here is a incomplete Simon Belmont sheet (featuring the Castlevania 2 outfit). The sprite sheet came from EttinGrinder's Beratus sheet so you'll probably need to credit him if this gets used. Its not complete, as it lacks the ornaments and decorations around the armor and of course, Simon's head.

The reason I won't complete it is because I don't believe there would be any instance of multiplayer or such for this current version, hence there isn't a need for this as much as there is for new monsters and weapons.

By the way Xeno, in my previous, post which was:
1, Using this attack frame only for the starting whip Simon has (the one that has no upgrades):

chain whip image
When I said , I mean use the one that you utilized the one in your earliest release (which had a good perspective regardless of the change that came afterwards).
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

Time for progress show:

TOP LEFT: A basic outline of Count Dracula (the head is a place holder).

TOP RIGHT: Direction sprites for Behemoth (60% complete)

BOTTOM: Progress for Slogra (which is 70% complete).
xenoxols

Post by xenoxols »

Sorry, I haven't had much time to work on this. Anyways, those look good, but didn't Slogra use a spear?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”