The Depths of Fear

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dreadopp

The Depths of Fear

Post by Dreadopp »

Here's a fairly large map that I recently completed and thought I may as well release. It will take a bit of exploration to uncover everything. Can you find all the secrets? Ports that should work are ZDoom, GZDoom, Skulltag, and Zandronum. Remember to save often! As always, feedback is appreciated. :)

Screenshots
http://i58.tinypic.com/33w01aw.png
http://i58.tinypic.com/2ns9mqp.png
http://i60.tinypic.com/21zpj8.png

Download
The Depths of Fear

Credits to Jimmy91 for the music track "Baron's Province". Enjoy!
Last edited by Dreadopp on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unholypimpin

Re: The Depths of Fear

Post by Unholypimpin »

Pretty nice map you got here Dreadopp, and as always its nice to see someone use stock doom textures in a great way.
The detail is really nice and the map itself is actually kind of challenging. The fact that the map is nonlinear is probably one of the best aspects of this map.

Now for a little nitpicking, and yes I know why oh why must I nitpick....because.....I MUST!!! HAR HAR HAR...

Anyways..

Since ammo is kind of tight especially in the beginning I found that sometimes you flat out must walk past enemies and never fight them to conserve ammo.
There are quite a few deathtraps in this map that have no escape. Since most of the map is kind of mazy its pretty easy to skip past hordes of monsters and never have to worry about fighting them.

Overall I give this map a 5/5 because in my eyes nitpicking doesn't deduce points =D

P.S. Will you be adding more maps to this wad or is this is?
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I can go through parts of the starting area and add in a bit more ammo. I'll also see what I can do about those deathtraps. Don't want people to get too frustrated. :P
AlwaysDoomed wrote:P.S. Will you be adding more maps to this wad or is this is?
This one was pretty much a standalone map. I'll continue to fix outstanding issues and such, but I didn't have plans for a second map.
Tux

Post by Tux »

I like the details, altho the title sounds like a terrywad.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Tux wrote:I like the details, altho the title sounds like a terrywad.
Terrywad?
Tux

Post by Tux »

undead003 wrote:
Tux wrote:I like the details, altho the title sounds like a terrywad.
Terrywad?
Trapwad, everything's okay until you trigger one line that makes your speakers explode, screen gets flooded with text about tududu into your tralala and stuff like that.
Dreadopp

Post by Dreadopp »

Tux wrote:Trapwad, everything's okay until you trigger one line that makes your speakers explode
Fortunately, it doesn't do anything like that. :P

In case anyone is interested, I've uploaded a new version of the map with some minor changes. Most of the deathtraps have a way out now and I added a little more ammo here and there.
Canofbacon

Post by Canofbacon »

There is never five seconds where you aren't shooting something. I like it.

Return to “Levels”