Blake Stone TC Demo

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: Blake Stone TC Demo

Post by Nash »

Get the latest ZDoom build from http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/ and try again
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

spoone wrote:Yes I'm clicking the exe by the way.
Well, don't. Click the bat.

Image or maybe Image

of course, if your machine is still set up to hide file extensions, it may look like an exe.

Image or maybe Image

(And, yes, get the latest ZDoom from Nash's link.)
Ferguson

Post by Ferguson »

I always liked the Blake Stone games, even bought them again a while back on GOG. {My old floppy versions are fossilized}. Enjoying your mod a lot, appreciate all your hard work.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Super excited for this. Always wanted to play Blake Stone but couldn't stand the controls in the original game.
D00mfan

Post by D00mfan »

I'm getting an error after clicking the .BAT. I already have the folder structure .

"Script error, "BStone.pk7:mapinfo.txt" line 194:
Automap: Unknown top level keyword"
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

D00mfan wrote:I'm getting an error after clicking the .BAT. I already have the folder structure .

"Script error, "BStone.pk7:mapinfo.txt" line 194:
Automap: Unknown top level keyword"
Nash wrote:Get the latest ZDoom build from http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/ and try again
SyntherAugustus

Thinking about doing a stream for this tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned!
D00mfan

Post by D00mfan »

Thanks it helped. I misunderstood you, I thought you meant the latest build from the Zdoom website.
SyntherAugustus

So I did a playthrough of the first three maps last night. I had fun, but there were quite a lot oddities.

Turrets appeared to be immune to guns that weren't the rocket launcher. Not sure if from original BS.
Orbs that didn't move were in a bunch of places. Again not sure if from original.
Stuck doors.
I had to create a bind to aim up and down to shoot said turrets with a rocket launcher and blow up crates.
Odd hud stuff in the end of levels.

Also note: Many, many, informants died in the making of this video. Some just got in the way D:
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Regarding the turrets, they're supposed to only be immune to the pistols; the assault gun and dual neutron should be able to destroy them.
D00mfan

Post by D00mfan »

Some problems I noticed:

-The music has stopped for me at level 4.
-The "informants alive" status bar goes too long off the screen.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

Aw shit! Now we're talking!
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

New download available - See first post.

I added a separate download of the core BStone.pk7 file, so if you've already pulled the Resource file down, you just need to download the much smaller core file.

I also have added a link to the most recent changelog.

Fixed:
- Wide-screen friendly handling of Elevator, Brief, and Endgame screens
- Elevator/map stat bars were improperly set and initialized, resulting in overruns
- Added Wolf3D-like movement (toggleable in menus)

Questions from the feedback:
Enjay wrote: Full screen HUD - weapons do not sit at the bottom of the screen:
I find the options menus quite hard to read. I suggest using the config to darken the screen fade effect and use a colour that contrasts better with the green than the default yellow.
The weapon positioning issue seems to be GZDoom-specific. They are fine in ZDoom. I know I had this problem and fixed it in the Wolf3D TC, I just need to remember what the fix was.

For the background color, are you sure your dimamount isn't set to a custom value? Mapinfo settings won't override defaults if that CVar is not set to -1. (See blackfish's video for how it should look - a dark blue).
Nash wrote: - The "Esc to exit" text in the same instruction probably isn't necessary because that will actually open the main menu. The "E to continue" is enough, I think. Disregard if this is how the original game behaved; I don't remember much of it.
- The "Get Ready Blake!" loading bar has a single dark grey pixel on the second bar at the bottom.
- Sometimes I bump into solid invisible actors while running around the map. I don't know what they are.
The 'Esc to exit' string is in the original game

I don't see a grey dot on the loading screen... Is it happening every time?

I tweaked the definitions on my map viewer actor so that you shouldn't be able to run into them. I never had problems, but my machine is reasonably powerful, so maybe there's something else going on. Is the entire viewport freezing, or just your player?
blackfish wrote: Turrets appeared to be immune to guns that weren't the rocket launcher. Not sure if from original BS.
Orbs that didn't move were in a bunch of places. Again not sure if from original.
Stuck doors.
I had to create a bind to aim up and down to shoot said turrets with a rocket launcher and blow up crates.
The turrets can't be killed by either pistol, as was the case in the original game.

I don't get the stuck orbs, ever... They're moved via a script, so I'm not sure how that's happening. What ZDoom version are you running?

Where are you getting stuck doors?

On aiming, I'd recommend playing the TC with autoaim turned on... Do you have it disabled?
D00mfan wrote:-The music has stopped for me at level 4.
Yes, I need to re-listen through the original game and add the Mapinfo entries to set the music for the other levels. I just haven't sat down and figured out which track goes with which level, yet.
SyntherAugustus

Feb 16 build. (459?)

Orbs seem to work in the current gzdoom build. About those doors.
http://imgur.com/USNCFBf,9HbhIOb

Autoaim was enabled (see the video, I tried a console variable "autoaim" and the player setup to no avail). Is there something consolewise that I'm missing?
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

blackfish wrote:Feb 16 build. (459?)

Orbs seem to work in the current gzdoom build. About those doors.
http://imgur.com/USNCFBf,9HbhIOb

Autoaim was enabled (see the video, I tried a console variable "autoaim" and the player setup to no avail). Is there something consolewise that I'm missing?
OK, just uploaded a new version with doors fixed... Had to tweak the conversion tool; while I was at it I rewrote and streamlined the main door script, so all doors are better-handled now.

The only way I was able to duplicate your issue with not hitting turrets and crates was by turning autoaim off. Autoaim in the console is a CVar. You have to set it to 5000 for full autoaim, or use the Player Setup menu to change Autoaim to 'Always'.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”