Blake Stone TC Demo

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AFADoomer

Blake Stone TC Demo

Post by AFADoomer »

Download the Blake Stone TC demo here! (7MB)

If you have already downloaded the Demo once, you don't need to re-download the entire TC to get the latest version (unless something major changes). Just download the most recent BStone.pk7 file here (180KB) and drop it into your Blake Stone TC folder.

See the most recent change log here.

See the SVN repository here.

Feedback is welcome... I could always use another set of eyes to point out things that need to be tweaked.

NOTE: This TC requires ZDoom development build 111 (8f45e90) or higher. If you get mapinfo "Automap" errors when loading, please try using a newer development build of ZDoom or a corresponding GZDoom build.
Spoiler: More images...
Spoiler: Original Post:
Last edited by AFADoomer on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Enjay

Re: Blake Stone TC Demo

Post by Enjay »

I haven't checked it yet (though I am very much looking forward to doing so). However, I noticed that the download link is pointing to https: when it should be http:.

[edit]
OK, first impressions: Very nice. Very authentic. Makes Blake much more playable than struggling with the original exe.

Some things that you are probably aware of:
Spoiler:
W00t!!!111one

[/edit]
Last edited by Enjay on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Issues so far:

- Instructions screen at the start of level 1 isn't widescreen friendly (I can see the 3D viewport at the sides)
- The "Esc to exit" text in the same instruction probably isn't necessary because that will actually open the main menu. The "E to continue" is enough, I think. Disregard if this is how the original game behaved; I don't remember much of it.
- The "Get Ready Blake!" loading bar has a single dark grey pixel on the second bar at the bottom.
- Sometimes I bump into solid invisible actors while running around the map. I don't know what they are.
- Player movement is still very Doom-like? There's view bobbing and sliding... was that how the movement was in the original game? I remember it being more Wolf3D-like (no bobbing, no sliding; player stops as soon as you release the movement keys)

Other than that...
Spoiler:
(OMG that overlay map thing is GENIUS)
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Maybe he could borrow the Samsara Wolfenstein movement or your movement code.
This looks brilliant, I'll try this when I get home (I'm on my way to school right now).
Nash

Post by Nash »

AFADoomer doesn't need to "borrow" anything from me, he figured it out waaaay ahead of time before I ever did. :P It was implemented in the Wolf3D TC...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nash wrote:- Player movement is still very Doom-like? There's view bobbing and sliding... was that how the movement was in the original game? I remember it being more Wolf3D-like (no bobbing, no sliding; player stops as soon as you release the movement keys)
I just checked with the original in DOSBox and, yes, it is pretty much like Wolf3D. Personally, I much prefer the Doom movement but if the TC is to be accurate, then Wolf-like movement would be more so.

Off topic (ish)
Spoiler:
Nash

Post by Nash »

^ Agreeing with what Enjay said about a modern reboot, though to be honest, I don't think I can trust any studio to make sure it's done right... =[
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Oh fuck yeah. Might make an add-on for the Planet Strike weapons and Planet-Strike resolution versions of the AOG weapons somewhere down the line (keeping the different designs and color schemes in mind).

Also a bit off-topic:
Spoiler:
spoone

Post by spoone »

It's not working for me. When i click on the exe it says it can't find zdoom when it's in the folder. Then when i try to launch it from the zdoom launcher it says something is wrong with the pk7.
Nash

Post by Nash »

You have to create a folder inside your ZDoom folder and run the game from inside that folder you made:

spoone

Post by spoone »

It's still giving me an error about the pk7. What do I do? Am i using the wrong version of Zdoom?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Go on, give us a clue. What does the message actually say? What version of ZDoom are you using? :P
Nash

Post by Nash »

What does the error say? Also be sure you are double-clicking the "BStone Demo.bat" to run it (after you've extracted the files with the proper folder structure like in my image)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nash wrote:Also be sure you are double-clicking the "BStone Demo.bat"
That's the most likely cause of the error methinks. (i.e. not using that to start the game when he should be.)
spoone

Post by spoone »

script error Bstone.pk7:mapinfo.txt line 194:Automap:unknown top level keyword. Yes I'm clicking the exe by the way.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”