Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LemonWolf3322

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by LemonWolf3322 »

Here's another suggestion: Add some greenish-yellow plasma sparkles, and make a fancy arachnotron plasma that spawns those sparkles. Then, make the plasma sparkles option a "rotating door" like weapon casings: "off, players only, players and monsters" and if players and monsters is on, the arachnotron plasma will sparkle as it flies through the air. Just something I thought was a neat idea.

I could code it (if DECORATE really even counts as code) and make the sprites if you want :P
EffinghamHuffnagel

Post by EffinghamHuffnagel »

The latest addition to the Changelog (July 30th) lists a number of fixes for the "monsters-only version", but the "monsters-only version" link still has the date of 7/23/15. Is it still coming, or did the update not upload?
Temp123

Post by Temp123 »

Just tried out the new version (only short play), very nice stuff again, game feels more responsive, especially the pistol. Zombieman and shotgun guy variants are nice.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

EffinghamHuffnagel wrote:The latest addition to the Changelog (July 30th) lists a number of fixes for the "monsters-only version", but the "monsters-only version" link still has the date of 7/23/15. Is it still coming, or did the update not upload?
That's weird; I just tested it and all the fixes are in there, but the date is still wrong. (Also crossed out the previous changelog to indicate that it failed to upload the first time. :P )
LemonWolf3322 wrote:Here's another suggestion: Add some greenish-yellow plasma sparkles, and make a fancy arachnotron plasma that spawns those sparkles.
Yeah, that's another little thing I always meant to put in there; I was planning on getting to it eventually, but totally go ahead and code/sprite it if you want to!
snarkel wrote:Is it possible the Doom 64 plasma rifle and BFG9000 could be added someday?
MMMMMMMMAYBE; the BFG was a shoe-in, but with recent improvements to the regular BFG animation, a 64 version that matches that level of quality would be pretty hard. The plasma rifle would also be pretty difficult. It's on the wishlist, though, who knows what will happen.
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

Hmm, sometimes it happens that there is a annoying delay while fireing the shotgun and rifle rapidly (clicking the fire button). Holding down the fire button, no delay between the shots.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

There's probably a tic delay on a_refire, like the BFG has. I agree, those things are annoying.
LemonWolf3322

Post by LemonWolf3322 »

Alrighty then. I've translated the blue sparkle sprites to yellow and green, and connected them to the arachnotron plasma. I didn't use translation in decorate, I manually translated the sprites just... because, if you want you can use the translation property for the YellowSparkle actor. You'll have to edit your ACS script to support the rotating door, and maybe do a little more work with bugfixes, but hopefully it'll work in the end. It's not meant to be used as an addon that you load with the game, but rather you need to go into each respective folder/lump and copy-paste it into the actual project itself. Kinda convoluted and barely works, but I threw this together in five minutes so I'm sorry. :P Maybe my next contribution won't be so hack-y and a little cleaner, heh. Or if you'd prefer, I could stop being so lazy and fix it myself. Your call, lol.

Download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmrecpvbw4oh2 ... s.pk3?dl=0
snarkel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by snarkel »

Rowsol wrote:There is a weapons only version. http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32628
But doesn't that one not have the extra doom 64 skins and whatnot?
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Are we gonna see any jumpy space suit battles or is it gonna be a 100% ambient+puzzle deal like New Order?
Big C

Post by Big C »

Slax wrote:Are we gonna see any jumpy space suit battles or is it gonna be a 100% ambient+puzzle deal like New Order?
I'm guessing you meant to post this in the Blade of Agony thread? :P
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

No, he's clearly gotten word of my plans for Smooth Doom 2: Melty's Revenge!
And now I have to kill him.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

WHOOPS.
I am dead.
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

Rowsol wrote:There's probably a tic delay on a_refire, like the BFG has. I agree, those things are annoying.
How can fix that or should i wait for Gifty? My understanding of decorate ist not great.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

If I understand what you're referring to, those things are in the original game, I'm pretty sure they're intentional.

Also hey, thanks Lemonwolf! I'll be sure to put that in the next version.
doomquake777

Post by doomquake777 »

I've noticed that the super Shotgun reload animation is smoother in this mod.
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34870

Return to “Gameplay Mods”