Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Abba Zabba

Re: Smooth Doom (SEVEN-SIX-TWO MILLIMETER!)

Post by Abba Zabba »

Probably my second favorite mod. Only one bug I noticed: there's a position difference with the fist after you're done punching. The last frame of the punch that then turns into the static frame is extended slightly too far out, so it looks like his hand twitches. Other than that, excellent stuff.
FreddBoy
Location: Wales. You know, where the men are men, and the sheep are scared.

Post by FreddBoy »

Hi Gifty, fantastic mod, really has me appreciate a more "vanilla" DOOM experience on wads. Just a few observations tho:
1. The rifle pick up says "you picked up a pistol!" When you pick it up, also if you have weapon names on when you scroll through, it says pistol, not rifle.
2. The rifle sprite is really nice, but it just seems a slightly faster firing pistol. First shot is always dead accurate, but repeat shots are a bit spread out. Maybe a slight buff to accuracy to make it a slower firing, more accurate chain gun?
3. Loving the DOOM 64 guns, will you be adding the same versions for the plasma gun and BFG 9000, or are you going to use your own sprites for them?
Stormblade

Post by Stormblade »

1. I'm not Gifty, but I'm sure this can be amended.

2. Which rifle sprite are you using? My edited one or the official one? Also, my idea for the ideal rifle would be something with the cyclic rate of the shotgun but a slower chaingun. The chaingun chews through bullets too fast, and the pistol uses only one at a time. I think a rifle that fires at least a 4 round burst would be nice. Actually, 4 round burst.... Aliens anyone? ;) Stay frosty!

3. Again, I'm not Gifty but I'm sure he will add in some more Doom 64 sprites. Smooth Doom 64 actually sounds like a cool idea. :P

Anyway, this is just my opinion so.... :P
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

Maybe there can be a doom 64 rifle. I know I saw one on Deviant Art, and one at the Spriting Carnival.

EDIT: Found it.

SUPER EDIT: Crap, it's ruined, I never noticed that. :cry:
Attachments
my_doom_64_weapons_by_thebestmltbm-d4moywa.png
Last edited by Carbine Dioxide on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Stormblade wrote:2. Which rifle sprite are you using? My edited one or the official one?
Since he was talking to gifty, i think he was talking about the official one.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Which reminds me: who did those edited rifle sprites?
Stormblade

Post by Stormblade »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4c3mk ... wRifle.pk3

Here is my version of the Rifle. It's just a sprite replacement, I didn't really like the old Rifle. The old Rifle didn't look like the beta, alpha, or even this!

So I basically made it in the style of well... the older versions of this mod. :P

Also, the Doom 64 Rifle I believe was made by someone here on the forums for some Doom 64 mod?

I'm not sure which exactly, I just remember it was for a Doom 64 mod. :P
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

But i want to know about the sprites: have you created them? It's important to know since there's no credits inside that file, and those frames have no reference. I thought about using them, but i can't use something without credit the original author. Also, you don't need to re-upload the whole mod just with your replacement sprites. You can just put them in a single separated file to be loaded with Smooth Doom.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

The rifle sprites he's using were made originally by Mike12, master of all five magicks.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Thank you Gifty. Stormblade, it would be nice if you add a credits file and credit Mike12 for his work.
insightguy

Post by insightguy »

...one thing that still ticks me off is that there is no way to switch hands for the pistol...still pisses me off to this day
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Stormblade. not gonna lie. I really don't like how much the weapon drops down. it looks like its supposed to be this very strong rifle with that much kick from the firing state but no power behind it at all. and oddly enough, I notice it moving slightly from the left as well and its just eating at me. as for the sprites them selves, yes I do like them alot.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

insightguy wrote:...one thing that still ticks me off is that there is no way to switch hands for the pistol...still pisses me off to this day
>Create a TEXTURES file in Slade
>Paste this inside the TEXTURES file:
Spoiler:
>Save
>Profit
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

I never understood why everyone was so keen on flipping the pistol; I always thought Doomguy's left-handedness was an artistic choice.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

This varies from people to people. In my case, it feels wrong not only because i'm right handed, but because Doomguy is left handed only when holding the pistol and punching. Maybe he's ambidextrous and prefers to use a pistol with his left hand, but at least for me this creates a pattern break.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”