Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StefanMewa

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by StefanMewa »

Up until may 10th version of smoothdoom i've had dynamic light and now they are gone. Please help.
PS: I'm using latest (may 7th) build of gzdoom.
Onslaught Six

Re: Smooth Doom (SEVEN-SIX-TWO MILLIMETER!)

Post by Onslaught Six »

Onslaught Six wrote:
Caligari_87 wrote:
Hexereticdoom wrote:Same goes to the Chainsaw, that neither leaves any mark in walls. (Well, this might be more forgivable, 'cause this was also vanilla Doom behaviour)
Um... no weapons at all left bullet holes in Vanilla.

8-)
In any case, these should both be fixed.

I have nothing planned for today, so I've decided to come back around and work a little bit more on my destructible objects pack, see what I can get done.

EDIT: Well, it's a start.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/626 ... 111614.zip

This is my destructible object pack for SmoothDoom. It is primarily based on the work of Silent Zora at http://zorasoft.net for his DoomStyle/QuakeStyle mods.

I have NOT added a new flag to replace the existing objects with destructible ones. HOPEFULLY my code will be easy enough to read/figure out how to do this, but until then this can remain as an add-on pack. Some of these still have the variations and use the flag for it, but some do not; I've noted these below. Any objects marked as "SZ_actorname" haven't been changed from their original versions in DoomStyle/QuakeStyle, and have been separated for convenience.

I am not sure where SZ got some of the original resources; he mostly credits people for the weapons & monsters in his mods and credits id and Valve for sounds. If you made something and weren't originally credited by him, please let us know so you can get additional credit!

Destructible objects:
-BigTree; not actually "destructible" but will now make sounds and emit broken wood pieces when shot. Currently the broken pieces don't "stay" but that can change. Still has variations.
-TorchTree
-Stalagtite
-All hanging corpses
-All the lights
-All the pillars

Still to do:
-Torches (both small and big) --these are a little more complicated than I was thinking they would be, so give me a little bit to figure them out.

Let me know if there are any bugs and I can try to fix them; likewise, Gifty can feel free to incorporate these into his work immediately, or at least work on figuring out how to do so. :)
Popping in from an unrelated venture to raise this back from the dead on my end. I haven't touched it in months (a computer crash has left me unable to play or mod Doom so I replaced the obsession with pro wrestling and GI Joe--go figure) so there's nothing new in it, but it may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

Is there anything conflicting now that would need updated? I'm just interested to see how compatible it still is, or if any work on implementing it back into the original is still there.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

One of the Twitchy actors is missing, but I got it to launch, and I can confirm that the lamps work!
scissorman11785

Post by scissorman11785 »

Do you think there can be a toggle-able option to make zombie sergeants drop shotgun ammo instead of shotguns? Perhaps even the same for chaingunners?
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

What about levels that rely on getting those weapons to upgrade from a pistol, notibly those who play from a pistol start and you have to look for a better weapon?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

He said it would be toggleable.
StefanMewa wrote:Up until may 10th version of smoothdoom i've had dynamic light and now they are gone. Please help.
PS: I'm using latest (may 7th) build of gzdoom.
Whoops, yeah; I put the GLDEFS in a subfolder without really abiding by the PK3 file structure, so the mod stopped reading them. Stupid mistake, I'll fix it in the next update.
StefanMewa

Post by StefanMewa »

Gifty wrote: Whoops, yeah; I put the GLDEFS in a subfolder without really abiding by the PK3 file structure, so the mod stopped reading them. Stupid mistake, I'll fix it in the next update.
Thank for reply and for all your good work. I'll wait for a next version.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

If you want a quicker fix, you can also open up SmoothDoom and copy the contents of the GLDEFS folder into the main directory.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Glaice wrote:What about levels that rely on getting those weapons to upgrade from a pistol, notibly those who play from a pistol start and you have to look for a better weapon?
You could go for a Wolf 3D system where the SS drop a machinegun if you don't have one already, and an ammo clip otherwise.
StefanMewa

Post by StefanMewa »

Gifty wrote:If you want a quicker fix, you can also open up SmoothDoom and copy the contents of the GLDEFS folder into the main directory.
Fantastic. Thanks once again.
Medicris

Post by Medicris »

Gifty wrote:If you want a quicker fix, you can also open up SmoothDoom and copy the contents of the GLDEFS folder into the main directory.
Upon doing this I notice chaingunners making their "firing" light when not firing, and then no light when actually firing.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

God damn it. I'll fix this for real next update. :P
scissorman11785

Post by scissorman11785 »

Minor adjustment ideas:
1) The Cyber Demon and Spider Demon need to be lit up by their firing and also when they explode/die.
2) X-deaths for the arachnotron.
3) Gib sprite collision needs to be adjusted so they don't phase halfway through nearby walls every time they land. It happens a lot and it just bugs the hell outta me when the guts and stuff don't land entirely within bounds.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

there are numerous sprite clipping options in the zdoom options menu. find one you like.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

If you're still looking for plasma rifle sprites from Doom 64, among other things, then I saw one of the people managing the Doom 64 for Doom II mapset over at Doomworld post this video which has a link to a wad with various smoother animations, including recoil sprites for the Plasma Rifle that you could probably edit and repurpose if the creator's still around to ask.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”