Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
rileymartin

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by rileymartin »

I had the black sprite thing as well when converting to .png. The issue was that I didn't add Doom2.wad as the Base Resource at the top of the Slade window. You'll have to reconvert to .png again after adding the resource from an unmodified version though.

Now, my problem is a buggy Archvile animation when he casts his resurrection. This happens in some wads, like BTSX and Ancient Aliens for instance, where he turns into a corpse when reviving monsters which basically makes him disappear from view.
TheOligopolist

Post by TheOligopolist »

rileymartin wrote:I had the black sprite thing as well when converting to .png. The issue was that I didn't add Doom2.wad as the Base Resource at the top of the Slade window. You'll have to reconvert to .png again after adding the resource from an unmodified version though.

Now, my problem is a buggy Archvile animation when he casts his resurrection. This happens in some wads, like BTSX and Ancient Aliens for instance, where he turns into a corpse when reviving monsters which basically makes him disappear from view.
You wonderful son of a bitch, this was exactly the problem. Thank you.
I'll see if I have the same problem with the Archvile and report back.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Can anyone upload a BTSX-compatible version of Smooth Doom on this thread?

It would spare everyone from having to go through the process of converting the sprites.
snarkel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by snarkel »

I've asked this before a long time ago but It was worded wrong and probably had a few other errors that I cant name at the moment but will the Doom64 Plasma Rifle and or BFG9000 be in the next update? Or maybe even some other skins?
bouchacha

Post by bouchacha »

Re: BTSX
I followed the instructions of converting the sprites to PNG (truecolor)* and it fixes the odd coloring, but it also introduces new issues. Namely, it appears that the conversion process renders the sprites immune to palette modifications but then we get this:

Is there any way to have both BTSX's lovely palette and Smooth Doom's perks?

* I'd normally post the modified file as someone else has requested but I made all sorts of other personal preference changes. Slade is really easy to use and while going through each folder is tedious, it only took me about 10 mins.
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

why wouldn't you be able to convert the splats as well?
bouchacha

Post by bouchacha »

Almonds wrote:why wouldn't you be able to convert the splats as well?
I've converted every sprite in the Smooth Doom archive as far as I know. I don't know why the splats and the dead bodies seem to follow different palette rules
Rieux

Post by Rieux »

First off, what a fantastic mod this is. I'm just getting into the Doom modding scene after not playing the games since childhood, and I've been trying everything that catches my eye. But I'm mostly drawn to vanilla-faithful mods like this one, and Smooth Doom is my new default.

Question, though (and I hate that my first post is to ask what is probably a pretty stupid question). What exactly does the Smooth Textures add-on do? My apologies if this has already been covered. I'm guessing it, well, smooths the textures, but I can't tell much of a difference with or without it. I've tried taking screenshots to compare but they look identical. Since my eyesight is terrible I figured maybe the effect is just very subtle, and/or specific to the animations -- my eyes aren't seeing any differences in walls/floors, monsters or weapons in the screenshots. I'm playing without any HQ resizing, if that makes a difference. Just linear mipmap filtering and max AF. Would any of the other settings potentially affect it, assuming the problem isn't just the fact that I'm a blind jackass?

In any case, I'm having loads of fun with the mod. Many thanks to the creator for putting it together.
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

@bouchacha
sorry to hear dude, but hey, if I have some spare time for myself this week after work I may give converting the splats a try, I'll make sure to post the outcome of it if I manage to make it look the way you want.

@Rieux
Don't excuse yourself so much dude, not like it's anything super duper explicit either, haha.

Well, as the name implies, it's a spin-off add-on for use with other gameplay mods of your choice or any maps that make use of vanilla textures, and what it does is it basically takes any animated texture of any kind, be it water, lava, nukage, what have you, and adds some extra framework and brings a lot of smoothness to their overall animation frames too. I did notice a lot of seemingly unused extra sprites for switches being activated when I went datadiving into the file in SLADE but they don't seem at all present in-game for some obscure reason.

Also, hey, welcome to the forums! Love your avatar image so much omg
ViperJohnGR

Post by ViperJohnGR »

Guys, sorry if this has been answered before but whats this?
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Spoiler:
^-ME BEING STUPID LOCATED IN HERE-^
Last edited by Devianteist on Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

The error means that the state could not be jumped to because it could not be found. Simply put - missing actor states.
ViperJohnGR

Post by ViperJohnGR »

Lud wrote:The error means that the state could not be jumped to because it could not be found. Simply put - missing actor states.
Yeah, why?

If anyone is wondering it does this only when using the shotgun
Last edited by ViperJohnGR on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Because the author of the mod most likely used a jump to a non-existing state? It's pretty self-explanatory, tbh.
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

Devianteist wrote:
ViperJohnGR wrote:Guys, sorry if this has been answered before but whats this?
It's basically just asking you if you're sure you want to exit the game, with a comedic bit of text. Probably would've been better off asking this in a different thread. Dunno where though. There are other exit messages, too.

EDIT: Or are you talking about the error message? If so, then I'm a dumbass and you should ignore me.
here's to hoping I don't get my arse kicked over by this, but here, I gave SmoothDoom.pk3 a go in SLADE long ago to fix precisely that. Minor advice though, tiny details such as weapon recoil variants have been slightly tweaked/and/or/touched upon for personal use, but seeing as I don't play with it anymore as I'm just now done with my weapons-only version of Smooth Doom at the moment... have this for the time being (which I suspect is at least until Gifty comes around and kicks me in the butt himself and releases an actual new version to patch it up) :P.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By8mA ... HRVbWZRTWM

Return to “Gameplay Mods”