Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Devianteist

Re: Smooth Doom

Post by Devianteist »

Gifty wrote:Ah jeez, sorry if my absence stirred anybody. I do actually check the thread every day, I just try not to post unless I have something useful. Some really exciting music-related stuff has been going on for me recently which has been taking up an awful lot of my time, so I haven't gotten a lot of work done on the mod. I do read all the posts, sorry if my selective replies have left anyone feeling ignored.
Since you're online, I'd like to point out that using Smooth Doom with FreeDOOM results in a rather whacky error with the Chainsaw.

When attacking with it, it changes into the FreeDOOM buzzsaw weapon. I'm guessing Smooth Doom calls on Doom's vanilla chainsaw attack sprites to display the attack, hence why it does this?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Yeah, it looks like there's several tie-ups with Freedoom sprite names. Thanks for telling me, I'll throw that on my to-do list.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

No problem Gifty. Keep up the great work!
Gez

Post by Gez »

That's hardly surprising, you'd basically need to have Smooth Doom contain all the original, unmodified sprites from Doom II if you want it to look right with Freedoom... Either that or create a Smooth Freedoom project.

You're also going to run into issues if you load Smooth Doom with Hacx or Chex Quest or Harmony or...
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Gez wrote:That's hardly surprising, you'd basically need to have Smooth Doom contain all the original, unmodified sprites from Doom II if you want it to look right with Freedoom... Either that or create a Smooth Freedoom project.

You're also going to run into issues if you load Smooth Doom with Hacx or Chex Quest or Harmony or...
... Why did I not realize this... :|
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Well, to be fair, there are a lot of cases where SD does in fact contain the full sprite set, so untangling some of the naming overlaps is still probably worth doing.

edit: oh yeah, and I've seen the 64plasma sprites you mentioned earlier; I've had my eye on them for a while, the only obstacle is the reload sprites, which would be really hard to do.
Judge

Post by Judge »

Proper monster/player weapon bright maps would look awesome with this.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

It'd be SOOOOO SUPER AWESOME if you applied Smooth Doom to other custom monsters (i.e. Realm667 monsters).
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DoomKrakken wrote:It'd be SOOOOO SUPER AWESOME if you applied Smooth Doom to other custom monsters (i.e. Realm667 monsters).
Do you have any idea how much friggin' work that is?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I figure it'd be a lot of friggin' work. I'd do it myself, but I can't sprite to save my ass.

If he were to do this, I'd expect it'd be just one at a time. I'd also expect it'd take a really long time. I'm not even expecting him to. I'm just giving an idea. If he feels like doing so, then that's awesome. If not, then that's fine. No one loses anything from me asking if he'd want do do this.
Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

Other than the hard work, there's the fact that only a couple realm 667's monsters are actually used to some extent by mappers, therefore there would be a lot of unused work. Personally I'm tired of seeing the same shadows, satyrs and hell warriors all over the place. There are far better monsters in the bestiary
K0RP53

Post by K0RP53 »

Is there a possibility of Smooth Doom making its way to Zandronum eventually? Just a question as the new 3.0 alpha build is able to run smooth doom minus the ability to host an online server with it as the SD options are greyed out so one cannot adjust SD options but it is able to run it.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Lycaon wrote:Other than the hard work, there's the fact that only a couple realm 667's monsters are actually used to some extent by mappers, therefore there would be a lot of unused work. Personally I'm tired of seeing the same shadows, satyrs and hell warriors all over the place. There are far better monsters in the bestiary
Except I made a couple of monster mods that take a LOT of monsters from r667. I guess the only person to benefit from this would be me, then.

I definitely agree those mappers should use a lot more variety. Although I'm very partial to those Hell Warriors (those shields are badass). Shadows are nifty. Satyrs are cool (but too slow).
Lycaon

Post by Lycaon »

Sure they are great, i've just seen them enough for now. You got me interested in your maps, where can I find them?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Oh... I haven't made any maps of my own. I made a monster mod for Guncaster that uses a LOT of monsters, most of which can be found in Realm667. There is a vanilla version there, if you look at the bottom of the OP.

Here's a link!

Return to “Gameplay Mods”